Sticky

Started by n1traM
12/06/2008 13:56
Page 311 of 676
CowOnCrack11/02/2011 03:30(edited 11/02/2011 03:44)

Originally posted by fizik
Setup? I doubt. It's skill at all. Setup = hardware,right? Just because you have 120hz screen,gaming keyboard,gaming mousepad and a gamer mouse doesn't mean it's easy to jump far. I know people did 256 with 5€ mouse + keyboard. All is about practice at longjumping. Also,holding the mouse is something you have to find out for yourself,I hold it like a cripple sometimes ;D


Setup includes but is not limited to hardware. A huge factor is how you are setup at your desk, how you hold the mouse, etc. Everyone sits and plays a unique way, but some people's unique way makes long-jumping much easier. Go look at that video.

For example, when I hold my mouse I tilt it about 60 degrees to the left. This makes strafing more difficult in one direction. Also I use a cloth pad, which I find restricts my mouse mobility (but provides great traction for shooting, see my post in the lj help thread.)

A 5$ mouse and keyboard might be far better than my setup for LJ, it depends on many factors. I built my setup around shooting and played shooting way more than I played KZ - most of the people who are very good at LJ and other aspects of KZ are specialists who do not play shooting (or play little in comparison) and started CS1.6 with KZ.

Of course skill and talent is a part of it, but it's a very small part I would argue. There aren't a whole lot of talents that LJ requires - quick, tiny motor movements. If anything the creativity to optimize / make best use of your setup is probably the most important talent (aka finding a good technique.)

Btw, on a side note, I have another hobby which requires good dexterity - piano playing. One of the biggest advantages in playing the piano is good technique which really doesn't have anything to do with your innate talent or skill (other than maybe your ability to be creative.) Coming up with good fingering patterns, good ways to transition between parts, and numerous tricks to make things easy for your hands are very important. Likewise in LJ, I'm sure if someone can devise a setup (way of sitting, way of holding mouse, equipment to use, etc.) they would be far ahead of the curve. I think that some people naturally have this without realizing it.

Here is what I would envision for a good LJ technique:

1) Use high sensitivity so your hand movements are the smallest to make large strafes - this will let you do more of them more quickly
2) To strafe, simply gently wiggle the mouse (like in that movie)
3) Hold the mouse in a level way, tilted in neither direction, so you can strafe evenly back and forth
4) Use a mouse that you can grip straight
5) Highest HZ, Highest DPI, hyper-glide mouse skates, lowest in-game and windows (known optimal settings for tracking)
6) Low friction pad
7) Desk at a good height, monitor straight across from your head (same with piano - if your way of sitting is uncomfortable to you, you will develop strain and fatigue and thus be unable to practice as much / as well)

And so on. I'm sure if someone was completely new to CS1.6 and LJ and started with some fundamentals like these, they would learn to LJ farther much faster than, say, someone who has played eight years of shooting and is now trying to adapt to LJ.

My main point is that proper technique / form exists for everything and I'm sure LJ is no different.

CowOnCrack11/02/2011 13:32

I should also add that I'm not saying someone with a crap setup can't become good at LJ. I'm sure with enough time no matter how much is stacked against them someone can become decent at LJ with enough practice. The real question is how you can avoid wasting a ton of time and effort when you don't have to.

Also, the question here is how to become very good at LJ, for example, the WR or other record holder (or capable of reaching such distance.) And the question is how to do this as fast / faster than others. Not everyone has these goals but in principle we should ask this.

It does no good if I can do the 256 block 2 years from now when someone who does the 256 now can do the 258 two years from now.

It also is no good if it takes me 10 times as long to improve as someone else. For me it took about 2 years before I did my first 255 stats. I know of people who did 255 stats in their first few months. I mean, we are both at the same spot now, but they didn't waste nearly as much time as I did, and going forward they will always be ahead of me.

dx^12/02/2011 04:34

yeahh 255x2 longjump --> http://www.sendspace.com/file/vundms

Womanaizer12/02/2011 07:41

omg dx sick!

FAME12/02/2011 08:27

;O niceee

3bRk^12/02/2011 10:17

:) gj dx=)

Swoozy12/02/2011 10:48

i'm not cool like dx^, but...
i have established my new ljblock rec - 252
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xK6hP8Aw0 :)

wils12/02/2011 11:54

Originally posted by Swoozy
i'm not cool like dx^, but...
i have established my new ljblock rec - 252
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xK6hP8Aw0 :)

But you got hannah montana as an avatar. Shes freaking hot.
And dx doesnt :)

Brummbär12/02/2011 13:43

omg dx , you my idol !

FAME12/02/2011 20:25

anyone, check it for realdist : http://www.sendspace.com/file/le8y4g
p.s. random 246 bhop block w/o stats :@

- nympho -13/02/2011 00:06

Originally posted by fame
anyone, check it for realdist : http://www.sendspace.com/file/le8y4g
p.s. random 246 bhop block w/o stats :@

246.72

FAME13/02/2011 00:56

ty

dx^13/02/2011 02:33

h4h4, http://img713.imageshack.us/i/fofcountjumps20000.png/

FAME13/02/2011 13:20(edited 13/02/2011 14:27)

:@ http://img511.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20011.png/

// updt. some sh*t :

http://img593.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20014.png/
http://img805.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20015.png/
http://img843.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20016x.png/

|Hunter|13/02/2011 20:41(edited 13/02/2011 23:34)

New cj rec: http://img513.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20000.png/




Edit: CJ Distance: 268.047546 MaxSpeed: 356.235626 (63.961) PreStrafe: (276.246) 292.274230 Strafes: 7 Sync: 86
fail @ 250 block ("pro edge")

Playmate13/02/2011 20:52

Originally posted by fame
:@ http://img511.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20011.png/

// updt. some sh*t :

http://img593.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20014.png/
http://img805.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20015.png/
http://img843.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20016x.png/

Duuude, thats amazing.

2Dex Tournament #213/02/2011 21:35(edited 13/02/2011 21:36)

Originally posted by fame
:@ http://img511.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20011.png/

// updt. some sh*t :

http://img593.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20014.png/
http://img805.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20015.png/
http://img843.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20016x.png/

Why do you post and anger yourself about bugged stats?You know it is bugged so what's the point...
Anyway,nice updt screens if clear.

wils13/02/2011 23:42

GJ Hunter :))) Really nice done.

|Hunter|14/02/2011 00:09

Originally posted by wils
GJ Hunter :))) Really nice done.

Yey thanks. I tried 267 block but when I have stats I don't have edge, I saved only one demo.

FAME14/02/2011 00:11(edited 07/02/2013 15:16)

Originally posted by 2Dexx
Originally posted by fame
:@ http://img511.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20011.png/

// updt. some sh*t :

http://img593.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20014.png/
http://img805.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20015.png/
http://img843.imageshack.us/i/kzlongjumps20016x.png/

Why do you post and anger yourself about bugged stats?You know it is bugged so what's the point...
Anyway,nice updt screens if clear.


Not always, if last str has speed loss stats was bugged.

U think that i'm cheater cuz i'm posted cheated demo last month?!
It's was mistake. I'm not so stupid, for post cheated demo on official kz community.

p.s. 256 block allready done with legal settings.
p.s.s. sry for my bad english.

Page 311 of 676

Please log in to post replies.