Questions about FPS!

Started by Ever1x
27/06/2008 00:19
Page 1 of 1
Ever1x27/06/2008 00:19(edited 27/06/2008 01:06)

What can couse big fps problems?
I know something about wpoly and epoly!
I know full bright couses fps problems.
func_water, Some textures[Moving,Scrolling,etc.]
I wonder what more can couse problems?
if texture Scale is very small[It can couse problems?]
Shadows? armoury_entity can couse?
If you know more, or you know answers for some, or all qestions, just give me to know!
And whats is the best way how to rise fps, or fix :)

----------------------------------------

Sorry for my english, I hope you will understand :)

puppetz mapper27/06/2008 02:15(edited 27/06/2008 02:17)

Hmm, open areas with a lot of brushes in, can cause bad fps, obviously. It's best to try and "block" the view as much as possible.
To get better fps I'd say use null texture wisely, and try and keep the number of brushes as low as possible.
And if you do some city map for example, it might not look as good, but you should try and "fake" stuff like windows with textures, instead of brushes.
And yes, scale your textures as high as possible (if they are scaled too high it will look stupid).
I'll add more stuff later if I come up with anything.

Ever1x27/06/2008 13:43

I`m Remaking aim_map[Dont have enough skill and fantasy to make my own maps] I`m using other Textures, Nulling how much possible, but i still get
49fps 15 ms 3334 wpoly 4820 epoly
on original aim_map 83fps 5 ms 383 wpoly 4680 epoly.

On original is full bright!
Wpoly was models?
Should I give my compile log?

puppetz mapper27/06/2008 16:11

Hmm .. Maybe I'm wrong, but fullbright in itself doesn't decrease the amount of fps. You're probably talking about leaks, cause when you have a leak in the map, it's all fullbright, cause the light is trying to fill out the whole level. Or something. :P
So you added models in it? I think models are using using all the epoly's, and to me it doesn't seem like the epoly increased much from the original, to your map.
Maybe post a screenshot of your map and/or compile log.
I hope all this makes sense ..

dEMolite mapper27/06/2008 16:38

wtf? you built it completly wrong when you have 3334wpolys

Ever1x27/06/2008 16:57(edited 27/06/2008 16:59)

No models! I`m too lazy to make screens. I dont think Completly wrong but with mistakes.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/csd853 Here is rmf wad and compile log!

I just learning to make! I should better use Vartex[Vortex] tool? Dont remember how spells :D

eMTi27/06/2008 17:55(edited 27/06/2008 17:56)

hm would you like your map to be played as an aim map or is it just for you to improve mapping skills?

if you want to create a aimmap, make it simpler! MUCH simpler!
aim_map is so successful because it isnt complex.. just a few boxes and thats it. 3000 wpoly FAR TOO MANY for a aim map!
think of aim_map_usp or whatever it is called. You can count brushes by 1 hand!!

Ever1x27/06/2008 18:40

I making to Improve mapping skills and i want to make few maps which i like but where isnt very good fps and rise fps!

Ever1x30/06/2008 17:21

I have new problem,
Using Wadfile: \games\cs\valve\halflife.wad
- Contains 0 used textures, 0.00 percent of map (3116 textures in wad)
Using Wadfile: \games\cs\cstrike\aim_map_fps.wad
- Warning: Larger than expected texture (348972 bytes): 'SITEWORK.PAVIAG'
- Warning: Larger than expected texture (348972 bytes): 'SITEWORK.PAVIAM'
- Warning: Larger than expected texture (338092 bytes): 'MASONRY.UNITMAK'
- Warning: Larger than expected texture (348972 bytes): 'WOODS.PLASTAL'
- Contains 0 used textures, 0.00 percent of map (12 textures in wad)
Error: Could not open wad file \documents and settings\user.user-71d9cb347f\desktop\bsp2map_odd\kzls_watertemple_b12_btm.wad
Error: Could not find WAD file
Description: The compile tools could not locate a wad file that the map was referencing.
Howto Fix: Make sure the wad's listed in the level editor actually all exist
But i didnt include in my map that wad. and there are that wad, but I removed that wad from Texture!

Pieshels mapper30/06/2008 19:57

try to remove it from your level editor completely (remove from options) and try again. otherwise, just put that wad in cstrike folder and link to there...

zeroimao mapper30/06/2008 21:11

it says it cant find kzls_watertemple_b12_btm.wad that wad in \documents and settings\user.user-71d9cb347f\desktop\bsp2map_odd\, so just make sure that kzls_watertemple_b12_btm.wad is there, or just remove from options like pieshels said

dEMolite mapper30/06/2008 21:35

Shadows why didn't you remember your last compiling errors with mapfiles?

it is forbidden to use paths with spaces! Otherwise you will get compiler errors.

Ever1x01/07/2008 10:55

Meybe My English is too bad, but I was trying to tell that I already removed that wad from options. but he still asks for that wad! dEMolite ye I remember but i was just looking whats in that wad, puted on destop to be easier to find... I hope now u all understand my problem!

dEMolite mapper01/07/2008 10:59

after removing a wad from hammer you need to close hammer. restarting hammer, open the map, export it again to a map file.

and now the compiling should work.
dunno why but when you aren't restarting hammer, the removed wadfile is still in cache.

Ever1x01/07/2008 22:58

Reinstalled VHE and now all okey! hey help me with that aim map, what i did wrong?

dEMolite mapper01/07/2008 23:42

i will take a look on it tomorrow. so will reply later on it.

Ever1x03/07/2008 13:38

When u Will reply?

dEMolite mapper04/07/2008 16:06

Sorry didnt had enoughtime to check it.

- The doors & arches on the side rework them because it looks that they had been carved. (Carving is a bad tool and dont brush it with small brushes. Try to make them wit the archtool)
- Some lowscaled textures
- You need to func_wall some stuff like crates trims...

But the doors and the arches have a higher priority!
They are causing the lowfps on your map.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.