3D Camera problems -fix-

Started by raver mapper
01/07/2008 23:07
Page 1 of 1
raver mapper01/07/2008 23:07(edited 01/07/2008 23:08)

Hi, I finnaly found a way to fix the 3D Camera problems where you could not select any brush or entity in hammer, but you could fly around in hammer.

[blockquote]Like the others, I have been annoyed by this bug too, but it seems that I had found a hackish workaround.

THIS WORKAROUND REQUIRES MESSING AROUND WITH DRIVER FILES, WHICH CAN, HOWEVER UNLIKELY IF YOU DON”T MAKE A MISTAKE, CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR COMPUTER.

Technical Details
--------------------
You can skip this section if you don’t want to know the details behind this…

Under Windows XP, device drivers usually use the .vxd, or .sys file format, however drivers often use D.L.L.-s(Dynamic Link Libraries) to communicate with programs.

If a program wants a DLL file loaded, and doesn’t specify a path, then Windows, tries to find the DLL file in the programs directory BEFORE it considers using the system directory, this means that if you copy a DLL file with the same name as a DLL in the system directory into the running directory of a program, the program will use the DLL in it’s own directory, instead of the one in the system directory.

How I fixed it
--------------------
You need to copy an older version of the atioglxx.dll file into the directory where your hammer.exe is located, if you don’t have an older version of this file, you have to install an older version of the display driver, and copy it to the directory of your Valve Hammer Editor.

I describe how to do it step-by-step:

1. Uninstall the newer driver, if you have it installed.
2. Install an old driver, one which still can run Valve Hammer Editor Right.
3. Go to your Windows/System32 directory (I use Windows XP other versions of windows may have it in a different location.)
4. Find the file named atioglxx.dll
5. Copy it to the directory where your hammer.exe is located.(C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\ by default)
6. Uninstall old driver.
7. Install new driver

Next time you run the editor, it should work fine.

Note: I have only tested it with catalyst version 8.5, and I have used the atioglxx.dll file, which comes with the 2.6.71 version of Omega Radeon Drivers, I don’t know if this workaround works with other versions.

Note2: It is possible that this will cause stability problems, but I haven’t noticed any kind of problems from this. [/blockquote]

I was posted on a forum by another person, he didnt added the name or a link to the original author.

zeroimao mapper02/07/2008 00:13

Heres an old driver that still runs hammer right
ATI 7.11 Display Driver

raver mapper02/07/2008 13:37

Originally posted by zeroimao
Heres an old driver that still runs hammer right
ATI 7.11 Display Driver


As the guy said, you can use the newest driver. And STILL use hammer right. Using old drivers isnt really good I think. IF it wasnt, why would they make new/better drivers.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.