Private message
Hello,
I was wondering (and many other people do) why xj dont have a private message system. Some jumpers are so hard to find on the internets (irc for example). And they are just walking around freely here. But you cant contact them in any way via the website. Only if they left a email adress ofcourse.
Once I readed a reply from faker (???) that he was saying why they dont have it but I cant find it anymore and I dont know what he said about it.
So for the last time to get it clear, Why do xj dont have a private message system?
Thanks!
ps; its in suggestion area, this is some kind of suggestion. But also a question. So I hope its in the right section!
Yes, agree, it realy can come in handy. As I remember xj dosn't have it, cuz of e107 plugin... Currect me if i'm wrong. =P
oh i think e107 can it too, but i dont know it rly
there is a option in e107 where you can turn this function on
52944user with pm function would raise the traffic higher then it is atm.
It won't raise the traffic (unless the site is getting more popular because the PM system but I doubt about that), it will only make the database bigger however that shouldn't be a real problem.
everything which is printed outside of the mysqldatabase to a user is handeled as a traffic.
And again failed.... plz learn nexttime more about webservers if you try to comment something on that.
Originally posted by dEMoliteeverything which is printed outside of the mysqldatabase to a user is handeled as a traffic.
And again failed.... plz learn nexttime more about webservers if you try to comment something on that.
Why doesn't XJ delete all maps and demos? They raise the traffic...
Well, we can have a test phase, at least. :/
It will show how much traffic it creates and then you can see is it worth of it or not. :/
Then it should be better for a vip packet like silver/gold/diamond
making this a vip only feature is senseless since no forum or community offered the pm service as vip feature... crapp idea demo :/
Originally posted by dEMoliteThen it should be better for a vip packet like silver/gold/diamond
I know it wil use more trafic, but use the system for vip only is stuphid in my opionion. Its just use it, or not.
I just want to know WHY it isnt in use. Because its VERY handy. And like another one said, lets get atleast a test phase for 5 months for example.
everything which is printed outside of the mysqldatabase to a user is handeled as a traffic.
And again failed.... plz learn nexttime more about webservers if you try to comment something on that.
You are talking so much crap, serious. It's true that everything which is printed outside of the MySQL database uses traffic however you are acting like it's a huge amount of traffic wtf?
It's just printing out TEXT, which doens't use a lot of traffic compared to other stuff like downloading demorecords and maps. If you knew even something about this you would have known this. Seriously haha, when you say this at a webmaster forum they will laugh so hard at you.
Again: a PM system compared to the downloads section or even the forum (which is using not that much traffic neither) is using almost no traffic. The PM system will even use more load than traffic, and even the load will be negligible. That's why I didn't even mention that it would use traffic, because compared to other stuff it will be nothing.
So next time if you want to be the smartass, pay more attention in class and don't talk crap if you just know 'something' about it and wanna act like you know everything. Anyways thanks for the laugh.
EDIT: I will even tell you more, the avatars they are showing next to each post are using MUCH MUCH more traffic than the PM system would use.
Printing out text requires an active mysql query execution, therefore decreasing the speed of the load by < .1 second. But if the user has a lot of PMs the slower the execution will go, considering it has to find all of the messages corresponding with the user.
And Jinx, the avatars people have are all hosted on another website, not XJ, so there is no real traffic being put on XJ, only the image servers, but if you experience slow connection to any of those servers then the load time will obviously be slower.
I did a test on how long it would take to submit 1000 unique entries into a database.
Page Load Time: 98.22 seconds
So that means each entry took 0.09822 seconds to be inserted into the database.
Now let's go onto selecting the entries. Say the average user had 12 messages.
I selected 12 random entries, each with a subject of 11 characters and a message of 200 characters. I did 10 refreshes
Page Load Time: 0.01 seconds
Page Load Time: 0.01 seconds
Page Load Time: 0.02 seconds
Page Load Time: 0.01 seconds
Page Load Time: 0.02 seconds
Page Load Time: 0.02 seconds
Page Load Time: 0.02 seconds
Page Load Time: 0.03 seconds
Page Load Time: 0.01 seconds
Page Load Time: 0.02 seconds
That's an average of 0.0141 seconds per 12 entries, or .0012~ per single entry.
In my opinion, that's not a whole lot.
Originally posted by J!nX^EDIT: I will even tell you more, the avatars they are showing next to each post are using MUCH MUCH more traffic than the PM system would use.
So thats another point, that you don't know e107 system!
99% of your post are even crap. And i know that faker & OddYsseus are every month above the trafficlimit from the privat sponsor, so most of the traffic needs to get paid from their own money or with the vipmoney which isn't much.
So and you think i know only a bit of it? So you are truely wrong!
I am running and administrating servers since 2003 with different applications and settings. I had less traffic then the last 2years now, since i running C-G. I know how MYSQL handel and i know how PHP print the stuff from MYSQL out and so on. But then you don't even calculate the traffic right.
Because everytime you visit XJ:
Online list will be passed out (not much 100bytes)
The 10 news headlines with the text + flags + ranking (15kbytes (because of the pics from the flags + ranking))
The 5 Chatbox postes (not much could be like 500bytes could be lesser depends on how long the text is)
Server pictures (100kbytes) * 3
The Design (dunno how big the theme folder is but think around 500-600kbytes)
Count: 815,600 kbytes (took there the Design as 500kb)
This with a standard XJ online count from: Guests: 27, Members: 17
Guest: 22,021,200 Mbytes
Members: 13,865,200 Mbytes
Total: 35,886,400 Mbytes
Standard XJ Demorelease count from: Guests: 45, Members: 70
Guest: 36,702,000 Mbytes
Members: 57,092,000 Mbytes
Total: 93,794,000 Mbytes
With the forum would be alot more but its hard to calculate with the different postlength, so thats why it isn't in it. The counts are on the online counts which are standard online per day. But don't get it wrong these aren't the total traffic counts per days. Per days it would be alot more.
So to the PM:
owned made a nice calculation how long it would take to load it. (Hope that many will understand now why it takes so long to load the page after a Demorelease)
standard pm text would be:
[blockquote]
Subject: asdassafasfasffasfasfasf
Text: asllljkuihuuiuib
asdfasfasfjkfsjkasfjkas
asdasasfsafghqwbmnwqqweq
afsafasfasass[/blockquote]
112 Bytes would that text. This isn't much but with answers it would be much. Example the standard text with 10answers like the standard text.
Total of 1,120 bytes. Both are seeing this twice also * 2 would be 2,240 bytes
Now take the users which are active at XJ with forum posting commenting and chatbox posts. ~75 could be over ~100users.
Now count to the 2,240 bytes the design 500kb would be 502,240 kbytes, count to this the 75 active users.
Total 37,668,000 Mbytes
Now we calculate the day stats but beware that aren't the realstats they could be higher. So we take a user count per day of ~10,000 users. (Okay this is less but i think XJ has more users per days)
We take the first total count of the list:
8,156,000,000 Gbytes
Count to this the total of the PM with the ~75users
8,193,668,000 Gbytes
Now you can see how much less traffic(for you) is going into the pipe!
With the demos/downloads it would be alot more. And for your information when the traffic is over the limit from the sponsor the serverfarm will sell you 1gbytes traffic for a higher price.
So have fun with that post J!nX^. You can laugh over this but it is the truth!
A wall of text crits you for 134,982 damage. You die. Resurrecting, please wait...
@ owned:
I agree with you, because you are actually saying what I already told, only with more details and calculations (thanks for that, good job). Like I said, the PM system would use more load than traffic (relative). However I got some textbased games written in PHP connected with a MySQL database and I can tell you that my PM system is using nothing (talking about load) compared to the other functions. Maybe that's why I'm minimising the negative effects on the load, however the forum is using much more load compared to the PM system. If you can make a calculation for that owned then you will see that the forum is using a lot more time to load. Anyways, you already said that the PM system wouldn't use a lot of time to load so that wouldn't be an argument to deny the PM system.
@ dEMolite:
First of all, I don't laugh at people if they don't attack me. And if you read your previous post back, you will see you were rude. Don't say that I fail or that I don't have the right to comment here because I don't have as much as experience as you (like you said), however I doubt that because you will see what I'm going to post here, so read on!
Secondly, I actually didn't want to respond to your post because you have made so many mistakes that it would take a lot of time to correct them all. However, someone asked me to respond because otherwhise people will believe your wrong calculations and maybe even going to use them in the future. So I took his advice and I'm going to try to correct as much as mistakes as I can. Let's start.
So thats another point, that you don't know e107 system!
99% of your post are even crap. And i know that faker & OddYsseus are every month above the trafficlimit from the privat sponsor, so most of the traffic needs to get paid from their own money or with the vipmoney which isn't much.
Nothing useful here but OK. Why should I know the e107 system while I can make my own systems? I don't need to know the e107 system to know that a PM system wouldn't use a lot of traffic compared to other stuff. Btw why are you saying that about faker and OddYsseus? It has nothing to do with my quote?
Your calculations are wrong and you seem to have problems with the BASIC TERMS. Like 1024 bytes = 1KB and 1024 KB = 1 MB and 1024 MB = 1 GB. This are the fucking basics, if you make one mistake here, a company will fire you right away so I certainly don't believe you that you are an experiended guy, try to fool someone else.
First mistake:
Let's say that 1000 KB = 1 MB and 1000 MB = 1 GB instead of the 1024 shit because otherwhise it's getting too complicated for some of us.
Online list will be passed out (not much 100bytes)
The 10 news headlines with the text + flags + ranking (15kbytes (because of the pics from the flags + ranking))
The 5 Chatbox postes (not much could be like 500bytes could be lesser depends on how long the text is)
Server pictures (100kbytes) * 3
The Design (dunno how big the theme folder is but think around 500-600kbytes)
Count: 815,600 kbytes (took there the Design as 500kb)
Please, a comma (,) and a dot (.) aren't the same. Try to be consequent. I think you are using this: 1,000 = 1000 and 1.000 = 1 so I will be using that too in my post.
0.1 KB + 15 KB + 0.5 KB + 300 KB + 500 KB = 815.6 KB and not 815600 KB like you said.
This with a standard XJ online count from: Guests: 27, Members: 17
Guest: 22,021,200 Mbytes
Members: 13,865,200 Mbytes
Total: 35,886,400 Mbytes
Total = 815.6 KB * 44 people = 35886.4 KB = 35.8864 MB and not 35886400 MB like you said. (lmao) Or is it 35.xxxxx MB? However why 2 comma's then? So it is actually 35886400 MB! I'm already laughing. So big number and you don't even see the mistake? And you dare to call yourself an experiended employer?
Next mistake:
112 Bytes would that text. This isn't much but with answers it would be much. Example the standard text with 10answers like the standard text.
Total of 1,120 bytes. Both are seeing this twice also * 2 would be 2,240 bytes
Now take the users which are active at XJ with forum posting commenting and chatbox posts. ~75 could be over ~100users.
Now count to the 2,240 bytes the design 500kb would be 502,240 kbytes, count to this the 75 active users.
Total 37,668,000 Mbytes
2240 bytes = 2.240 KB
2.240 KB + 500 KB = 502.240 KB not 502240 KB like you said.
502.240 KB * 75 users = 37668 KB = 37.668 MB not 37668000 like you said.
We take the first total count of the list:
8,156,000,000 Gbytes
Hahaha, I don't even have a clue how you got to that number. But do you even fucking know how much 8156000000 GB is? My game is using like 120-150 GB per month with constant 100+ people online so it's a lot. A normal (and not visited much) website doesn't use more than 5 GB per month.
But here is the correct calculation:
We got our previous count which was: 815.6 KB
815.6 KB * 10000 users per day = 8 156 000 KB = 8156 MB = 8.156 GB
But now, I'm going to try to give more realistic numbers because he just took a random guess and he couldn't calculate.
This information is based on an accurate browser plugin, for more information you can ask me.
I won't post every single line but I will quote some lines, this happens when I surf to xtreme-jumps.eu:
+ GET news.php 200 OK xtreme-jumps.eu 48 KB 647 MS
+ GET bg_body.gif 304 Not Modified xtreme-jumps.eu 2 KB 229 MS
+ GET head_login.gif 304 Not Modified xtreme-jumps.eu 314 B 328 MS
+ ...
Total: 173 KB (123 KB out cache)
Source: Wikipedia
An area of high speed memory set aside to store frequently accessed data. When data is accessed, a copy (and its address in memory) is stored in CACHE memory. The next time the CPU or browser looks for information, it first checks the cache. If the data is there (called a hit), it can retrieve it from the much faster cache memory. If it is not, then it accesses system memory, puts a copy of the new data in the cache, and processes the information.
So actually the 123 KB doesn't count because it isn't traffic because the browser takes it from your cache memory. I can also see this because when I refresh, it's only 50 KB. So actually it is 173-123 = 50 KB
Only when you look the website for the very first time (or when you clear your browser's cache) it will take 173 KB of traffic to load the website.
50 KB per view (btw its the homepage! other pages will be bigger/smaller however its a good average)
The next information is more a good guess, however I can monitor the website for a few days and then I can tell you a very accurate number of visitors/views per day. However we don't got that time so for now:
Let's say that an average user is viewing 30 pages per day (surfing forums, looking news, ...) that would make 30*50KB = 1500 KB per visitor per day at XJ.
Let's say that XJ gets 2500 visitors per day? I think it's more than enough but im not sure. So 2500 visitors * 1500 KB = 3 750 000 KB = 3750 MB = 3.75 GB traffic per DAY. Not including the traffic of downloading maps/demos, this is only the surfing traffic. I think it's certainly not higher than 3.75 GB per day because I think a normal user doesn't surf 30 pages here and there are less than 2500 visitors I think.
So have fun with that post J!nX^. You can laugh over this but it is the truth.
Actually I don't mind if people make mistakes or stuff. I just tell them kind and friendly that they are wrong. However if people start to attack me, then I will bite back and defend me. I always treat people in the same way as they treat me, that's why I said you are a dumbass and that's why I was laughing at you.
Btw I think this is the longest post ever made. It took me exactly 26 minutes to write this and make the calculations however I didn't start this. :D
Btw Faker if you can tell me how much traffic you are really using per month, I can maybe contact some persons for a deal. Because I hear you have to pay a lot? I maybe can get you this for FREE:
Diskspace: around 5000-7000 MB (how much you need?)
Bandwidth: 150000 MB or like 150GB per MONTH!
@Pf0llz0r
A wall of text crits you for 134,982 damage. You die. Resurrecting, please wait...
A quote of the Website Rules: 'Stay on topic in the forum and comments.'
The first who can tell me a word of his post which is actually on topic will get a cookie.
I think dEMolite just proved how little PMs affect the traffic. I have no idea really how many peeps there are on XJ site everyday, but I don't think it's even over 1000.
Nothing useful here but OK. Why should I know the e107 system while I can make my own systems? I don't need to know the e107 system to know that a PM system wouldn't use a lot of traffic compared to other stuff. Btw why are you saying that about faker and OddYsseus? It has nothing to do with my quote?
If you would know the e107 you wouldn't wrote that the avatars are using much more traffic.
Because e107 doesn't let you upload your own avatar.
And another point was that you didn't even read or understand what i wrote with OddYsseus & faker. (i only wanted to make it clear that they are over the traffic limit every month from the sponsor, so that they need to pay the traffic which are over the limit)
Everyone is knowing the term how 2 calculate the bytes/kbytes/mbytes/gbytes but why i should make such an effort when the community has an avarage age of 12years?
First mistake (carebear? oh no he is crying and flaming because i didnt use the standard calculation term of the child's)
Please, a comma (,) and a dot (.) aren't the same. Try to be consequent. I think you are using this: 1,000 = 1000 and 1.000 = 1 so I will be using that too in my post.
Carebear again? The childs from the community wouldn't even notice it without the , how much it is.
And you dare to call yourself an experiended employer?
failed again? I never said that i'm working on a serverfarm, plZZZZZ read it again thx!
Next mistake:
carebear the thirdtime?
Ah yea it is a mistake when i am counting with the lowest value? Like there with the bytes and not with kbytes?
So that's not a mistake i counted with the lowest value that i didn't need to round up during the count, so i only round up when the end result was there.
And now you will come a cross and will tell me that is wrong further because i didnt use the right calculation terms. (Who cares? The communitys age is 12!)
So we take a user count per day of ~10,000 users. (Okay this is less but i think XJ has more users per days)
We take the first total count of the list:
8,156,000,000 Gbytes
First total count was
Count: 815,600 kbytes (took there the Design as 500kb)
I know it was badly written there.
An area of high speed memory set aside to store frequently accessed data. When data is accessed, a copy (and its address in memory) is stored in CACHE memory. The next time the CPU or browser looks for information, it first checks the cache. If the data is there (called a hit), it can retrieve it from the much faster cache memory.
First of all it isn't a memory, when it would be, everytime you shutdown the pc the memory is cleared. Its only a cache storage on the hdd.
When you visit a site it will take a small amount to connect to the site. thats the get-phase which you were talking.
The get-phase is checking the hashvalue and if the hashvalue != cache storage it will overwrite the old ones. But during the get-phase it get's a small list of files and this small list is traffic too. (You didn't wrote that)
2500users per days on XJ? That would be less.
National communities like kzfr, kzsca and so on have around ~1000users per day.
So XJ will have more users per day.
To your offer what you are trying to get for faker is to less for a community.
Whole webspace + downloads are 10GB atm and with every new movie or new maps it will raise again :/
The Bandwidth of 150GB is really less. For a small community is 500GB per month okay. But with that amount of users online on a demo release or on a map release is 1TB better per month.
I barrly remember of something that they had to shutdown the gameservers because they were above the 1TB sponsor limit or so.
--------------
So to clear now the stuff:
I only wrote the post with the ~traffic to show the XJ users how much traffic is going in to the pipe. The values aren't right because we don't know the right values for it.
I talked to OddYsseus above this thread today and he told me that he didn't have access to the new statistics. When he have access to that maybe he will post some informations about that.
So and i don't want to say that you are completely wrong and i don't want to say that i'm right with my calculations. We both have mistakes in our calculations. But you have never noticed that in my calculations that i counted with less values (bytes) and in the finished that i round up. (So it wasn't wrong. Wrong was only that i didn't count with the terms but i bet that most of the users didn't know the terms)
And i bet that most of my posts are roughly written because i'm atm to lazy to write it friendlier.
Hope i cleared now some of the mistakes between our posts
Ye actually I don't know why he calculated that?
He just proved that the website uses a lot of traffic but NOT because the PM system. Like I said.
Just make a PM system, it will make the website more popular. :)
@DEM:
Well lets take a break here, however you are acting like your mistakes are details but they aren't. If you typ 1337133713371337 GigaBytes for the dayly traffic and you don't see the mistake....
It's like when I'm measuring a chair and I got results like 133713371337 metres, then I know I did something wrong lol.
And well, ofcourse I make mistakes. Because this is only a hobby for me. But I'm not going to get mad when someone tells me my mistakes.
Btw I'm really surprised, if it's true that XJ is really using 1TB per month then LOL... I know so many websites with like 200+ players CONSTANT online and they don't even use over 200 GB. However maybe it's the downloading section.... but now you proved again that the PM system wouldn't make that much difference in traffic. So are you still saying that the traffic arguement is a good one?