How to trick BspViewer and protect Secrets

Started by acidburn
07/05/2006 20:42
Page 1 of 1
acidburn07/05/2006 20:42

Since several mappers include nice secrets in their maps and a lot of people just fire up their lovely BspViewer to find the secrets in no-time, I was wondering wheter it is possible build a map in such a way so that BspViewer is not able to see through the walls. ;)

My opinion is that secrets are a great thing and since you "waste" your time creating them, why not protecting them? So that finding them out is a real challenge and not just a matter of seconds.

Here is the way how it is done:

1. Every room that you do not want BspViewer to show, must be applied with the sky texture at the outside.
You should also make sure that secrets (as long as you teleport to them) are located somewhere else in the "world" of Hammer and not near the main map, so that you prevent BspViewers from accidentaly moving into your protected secret place.

2. Create a huge room using NULL textures all over the map. The room should cover the entire "world" of Hammer.


Now when open your map with the BspViewer and you fly out of the main map you can't see the secret place. You can apply the sky texture to the outside of every room (the entire) map so that everything disappears when the BspViewer flys outside in order to find the secrets.

The side-effects:

- for sure will this increase the size of your map (I tried it with a small map and it got 3 kb bigger)
- for sure will this increase compile time (however it shouldn't increase dramatically - I experienced almost no change compiling my small map)


I hope you find that usefull and I wish you good luck protecting your map.


[ Edited ]

faker mapper11/09/2006 18:37

nice tutorial. made sticky ^^

cocacola16/04/2007 15:04

bspviewer's can't find the secret if the room is dark.

colix mapper11/05/2007 19:38

but if the room is dark, u cant see in it ;)
( only with nv or flashlight :D )

bugsbunny06/09/2007 11:24

Doesn't matter what you do to visually hide it, it takes 5 seconds to browse through the entity list to see if there's teleporters or buttons that weren't a main part of the map.

dEMolite mapper06/09/2007 13:53

that doesnt matter too. Because you can hide the teleporter and buttons with one easy trick!

acidburn02/11/2007 23:18

Really? Maybe you can tell use your trick dEMolite. If you would be that kind? ;)

8ball1 mapper moviemaker VIP20/11/2007 18:37

Maybe a tips for block BSPtoMAP.exe ?

IKilledBambii22/09/2008 12:37

BSPtoMAP requires that the map be small. If your map is HUGE the bsptomap is going to fail.

ExboCooope17/09/2009 08:30

I remember successfully decompiling kz_world
But I failed in recent tiny maps.

And also Hammer failed to open kz_6fd_volcano.map

InitStream07/03/2011 20:59

I've searched everywhere but seems like there are no tutorials of how to protect your secrets from bsp2map or winbspc :(. But i have seen little maps too, that can't be decompiled so there has to be a way, someone knows it and is not telling.. somebody in this forum also mentioned about hex editor, but nothing certain.

I really hope that those 'someones' who know may help me :D.

SadPuppy mapper01/07/2014 15:51

Hiding stuff from other people is not the way to help the community imho. I believe it should be more friendly and relaxed, where people show stuff and help each other. Sharing is good. Also, if stupid players use tools to find secrets it is their loss. It is their responsibility. The player can either cheat and lose out on the adventure and experience, or they solve the problem and find the secret by themselves. It is supposed to be about having fun. For everyone.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.