Suggestion to mappers [how to remove timer bu

Started by NumB
16/11/2008 00:55
Page 1 of 1
NumB16/11/2008 00:55

Ok. As we all know all maps have timer bugs, cuz func_train objects are a bit bugged.

I was thinking much about it and found 2 ways. Will start from more uber correct one but maybe impossible by mapping, but what the hell - lets try:

1. Using sprites. Create a sprite with specific framerate (with it you can also make seconds like 0.01). Anyway, sprite is created now use some entity to disable sprite (if possible), so all datas are setted to 0. Now when button is pressed find a way to activate the sprite (if possible), so all framerate is started. Now finish button - some way to deactivate sprite, so frame switching will be changed. Some information about framerate - it actually doesn't use frames - it uses hl time what is working under 32 byte system (good enough for 0.01 seconds).

2. This way is more classic and is possible and has no timer bugs (however it has bugs with linux, but there are special plugins what remove them and we are now talking about windows demo recording). Anyway, why on earth you stick with modern way (00:00) when you can create a classic clock with func_rotating entity? Yes, maybe it cannot work with 0.01 seconds but it wont have no problems at all.

Dacca16/11/2008 01:03(edited 16/11/2008 02:25)

Originally posted by NumB
2. This way is more classic and is possible and has no timer bugs (however it has bugs with linux, but there are special plugins what remove them and we are now talking about windows demo recording). Anyway, why on earth you stick with modern way (00:00) when you can create a classic clock with func_rotating entity? Yes, maybe it cannot work with 0.01 seconds but it wont have no problems at all.


That would be weird.

3. Start using Shizuka's and Sadpuppy's timer. I think it's 100% correct. If I'm wrong, correct me :D

EDIT:

I don't know, but I've heard some authoritative mappers saying that it's 100% correct. Maybe this will help.

NumB16/11/2008 01:10


Start using Shizuka's and Sadpuppy's timer. I think it's 100% correct. If I'm wrong, correct me :D

Dacca


Explain how it works. P.S. As I understood - everything what uses func_train's is bugged. =P

cC|SpiNe16/11/2008 10:59

Sounds good, I think it would be cool to have a reset button aswell. So no more restarting after every fall. I've seen some timers with that.

NumB16/11/2008 11:27

I didn't had in mind anything about reset button.

Let me explain what I have in mind:

Sprite created, now it should count seconds, but some object touched another object and counter stopped. Now when you press start button - counting continues (it was stopped on 0). Now you press stop button and counting stops.

Yamakasi16/11/2008 12:04

kz_cxg_jekyll got a restart timer i think

dLx16/11/2008 20:42

I think mappers should try doing a new timer with 100% corect time or smth. :)

NumB16/11/2008 21:12

I already found a way and mapper. Now he is creating a timer. But it crashes my cs.

Fliborecord holder Tournament #216/11/2008 21:58(edited 16/11/2008 21:59)

Originally posted by NumB
Ok. As we all know all maps have timer bugs, cuz func_train objects are a bit bugged.

I was thinking much about it and found 2 ways. Will start from more uber correct one but maybe impossible by mapping, but what the hell - lets try:

1. Using sprites. Create a sprite with specific framerate (with it you can also make seconds like 0.01). Anyway, sprite is created now use some entity to disable sprite (if possible), so all datas are setted to 0. Now when button is pressed find a way to activate the sprite (if possible), so all framerate is started. Now finish button - some way to deactivate sprite, so frame switching will be changed. Some information about framerate - it actually doesn't use frames - it uses hl time what is working under 32 byte system (good enough for 0.01 seconds).

2. This way is more classic and is possible and has no timer bugs (however it has bugs with linux, but there are special plugins what remove them and we are now talking about windows demo recording). Anyway, why on earth you stick with modern way (00:00) when you can create a classic clock with func_rotating entity? Yes, maybe it cannot work with 0.01 seconds but it wont have no problems at all.


Func_rotating does NOT work. It is very inaccurate. At least the one I made :)

EDIT: Are you sure it's only func_trains which are bugging? Because then we could use func_wall_toggle, perhaps?

NumB16/11/2008 22:06(edited 16/11/2008 22:07)

I'm sure it's cuz func_train (mappers said it in the map discussion topic). Anyway, I already contacted the best lithuanian mapper "MedioN" who created maps like de_dust2x2 what is also know like de_dust2_mini or de_dust2_2x2... Anyway - he's one of the best mappers on the world. Made a timer, but it gives some sound error. Will contact him 2morrow with request to fix it. =P

P.S. But you can check it with func_wall_toggle and fps-death.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.