New map submission rule (remove no texture re
Some of you may already noticed the no texture refresh bug. This bug copies texture from one map to another what ends in result that map can look really bad. Earlier I thought that it's some server glitch until I noticed that bug on my lan. If you still don't get what is this bug - here is a way how to see it (little example on kzno_caseblock_v2).
1. Exit cs; launch cs; launch lan game (kzno_caseblock_v2 is the first map your engine loaded in this cs launch). Here is how map looks (everything is ok).
2. Exit cs; launch cs; launch lan game (cs_havana is the first map your engine loaded in this cs launch); changelevel to kzno_caseblock_v2. Here is how map looks (yep - here is the texture-refresh-bug).
In this case this bug isn't so critical, but believe me - there are much maps what can have this bug and look really bad with it (once played kz_cg_xtremedesert when ground is black and walls are like in some tetris map).
Why this bug comes out?
Answer is simple. At mapchange client engine doesn't delete information about textures used earlier in this 'launch season' and doesn't load (replace) old textures with the same properties as the new ones.
How to fix it?
Answer is actually simple. I think that most of the mappers know how to create *.wad files. Anyway, copy all textures you need to another wad file (name it your_map_name.wad). Change all texture names in that wad file (for example it was "credits". Now it is "your_map_name!credits") - add mapname in front of the texture name (exceptions are only if texture name starts with + [ I don't know very well what to do in that case, but if I'm right you need to leave the "+" and numbers what are going after it or "+" and one letter what goes after it ]).
P.S. But don't forget to compile map with -nowadtextures function anyway.
mto_rock1 ftw xD
But this bug is already in like all maps... IMO it's silly to make a rule about this, it's not like it hurts anyone. And if it's really horrible (if you're playing a cup), can't you just restart CS?
I'm not talking about what already was.
It's not before it's today and future. You are in mapcheck team. Would you accept today kz_wsp_1337block the way it is? I think not. Kz is changing by little steps. And this little steps are the things what make difference between yesterday and today of this wonderful community. So I think we really shouldn't ignore any bugs/problems what kz maps can have.
And if it's really horrible (if you're playing a cup), can't you just restart CS?
Will say it like this. There is a rule that you cannot press any buttons or change the map before pressing start button. So will just copy your words so you can see the difference:
And if it's really horrible (if you're recording wr on clintmo_pentablock), can't you just restart CS/map after moving func_posshable?
---
Just think like what this will look in some years - so this really isn't a bug to ignore (like any other bugs).
Originally posted by puppetzBut this bug is already in like all maps... IMO it's silly to make a rule about this, it's not like it hurts anyone. And if it's really horrible (if you're playing a cup), can't you just restart CS?
stupid argument, sry. ok, it doesnt hurt anybody but at least mappers should be reminded to this. i dont care whether there is any rule cuz i always restarted when this bug got too anoying.
Ye, maybe that was a stupid argument. Well, I do see one conflict:
I like to make my textures (like grass) have other sounds when you walk on them, and the way to do that is by naming them like the textures from materials.txt that has the desired sound. Eventually, when other people do that too, this bug will come up.
I'm sorry I just don't see that this bug is that big of a problem, and it's stupid to make it a rule, it should be optional for every mapper. I'd rather have sounds on my textures than avoiding this bug which is really rare and unimportant.
Ask Valve to fix it, I don't think it's the mappers' responsibility.
Originally posted by puppetzI'd rather have sounds on my textures than avoiding this bug which is really rare and unimportant.
Ask Valve to fix it, I don't think it's the mappers' responsibility.
+1 why blaming it on the mapper? we can't do anything which is engine rendering related.
I have an idea, maybe you don't have to be stupid and not purposefully go through a series of unlikely steps that might evoke a bug.
a rule for this is really crap if you know about that sound issue which might come up (didnt know that too).
imo there should be some huge faq which such things for mappers to let them know about things such as this :/
@demo
you cant really blame mappers for such things, you are right. but you cant blame valve either cuz valve sees these things as features :)
btw i love you avatar puppetz :D
PEDOBEAR WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!
Originally posted by dEMoliteOriginally posted by puppetzI'd rather have sounds on my textures than avoiding this bug which is really rare and unimportant.
Ask Valve to fix it, I don't think it's the mappers' responsibility.
+1 why blaming it on the mapper? we can't do anything which is engine rendering related.
Sound texture choice is already big. You just have to find your needed texture in standard hl/cs textures.
And still there are this no-texture-refresh bugs on textures what do not have special sounds.
Please log in to post replies.