Remove avatars and re-enable pictures

Started by soul v2.0 mapper
13/04/2009 01:10
Read-Only
Page 1 of 1
soul v2.0 mapper13/04/2009 01:10

I don't see why this should be a problem. Avatars aren't important and are usually gifs of longjumps that are like 1mb big. I don't see why the avatars can't just be removed and pictures re-enabled since it would be more convenient for shortcut/trickjump posting or just for other pictures to brighten up the forums a bit.

SchlumPF13/04/2009 04:44

costum avatars are loaded from other websites than xj, they are not stored on xjs webspace which means they dont cause any traffic for xj.

i hope this answers your question ^^

soul v2.0 mapper13/04/2009 04:52

no I mean for page loading times and stuff

s1gh13/04/2009 04:57

Yes but he means that if you post images on the actual page of the forum it would be loaded from xjs webspace and they're too cheap to pay for it anyway.

soul v2.0 mapper13/04/2009 15:28

So even hotlinking from other websites gives XJ traffic?

SchlumPF13/04/2009 16:15

ah sry, i did not mean that images linked by img bb tags will cause traffic for xj it just thought your thinking about the traffic since youw ere arguing with the filesize.
hotlinking does not cause traffic for xj. removing avatars hm... thats why forums just show x posts per site ^^. using avatars is a) a quick and easy way to identify users and b) reflects a bit of their personality.
i dont care whether avatars will be removed but those 1mb lj avatars really suck.

soul v2.0 mapper13/04/2009 16:28

Well the forums could also do with a clean out. There is no need for threads from 2006 that have been forgotten about to be clogging up the forum. Might help to speed things up for a bit, this site is rather slow.

soul v2.0 mapper17/04/2009 21:47

PICS PLEASEEEEEEE

aftermatch-_-17/04/2009 22:49

i like ur pic

DaFox18/04/2009 08:17

Pictures would be nice. Keep the avatars though, I dont even have to look at someones name to know who they are if I know their avatar.

Vyrus18/04/2009 20:21

Huge avatars suck, there should be a size limit, e.g. 250-500 kb. I don't really understand why pictures aren't enabled here. :F

Page 1 of 1