flr_jungletemple

17/05/2009 12:44
Page 1 of 1
radon mapper Tournament #317/05/2009 12:44(edited 17/05/2009 13:09)

Status: Denied

Reason:

-

- bugs: (radon)
Bugs:
http://www.rad0n.dk/mapcheck/flr_jungletemple0000.bmp : looks bad with just a black texture there. find another way to blocks this tunnel
http://www.rad0n.dk/mapcheck/flr_jungletemple0001.bmp : u can see a line where the waterfall hits the water. looks strange. use null
http://www.rad0n.dk/mapcheck/flr_jungletemple0002.bmp : u get blocked there sometimes
http://www.rad0n.dk/mapcheck/flr_jungletemple0003.bmp : texture change from gold to brick looks strange
http://www.rad0n.dk/mapcheck/flr_jungletemple0004.bmp : the texture on the side of the wood. need to be rotated.
http://www.rad0n.dk/mapcheck/flr_jungletemple0005.bmp : bugged lamp
http://www.rad0n.dk/mapcheck/flr_jungletemple0006.bmp : the ceiling is very simple. some kind of detail would help alot.
http://www.rad0n.dk/mapcheck/flr_jungletemple0007.bmp : lightbug

- bugs: (puppetz)
http://www.dump.no/files/ae3363b0ecae/flr_jungletemple_stretchtex.JPG Stretched texture

http://www.dump.no/files/ae3363b0ecae/flr_jungletemple_nb1.JPG Null bug.

http://www.dump.no/files/ae3363b0ecae/flr_jungletemple_nb2.JPG Null bug

Optional:

http://www.dump.no/files/ae3363b0ecae/flr_jungletemple_repeating.JPG Repeating texture. I also think a sand texture there looks a little strange.

http://www.dump.no/files/ae3363b0ecae/flr_jungletemple_tex1.JPG The gold texture there looks a little weird, and the texture on the inside of it should be scaled, it's repeating a lot.

http://www.dump.no/files/ae3363b0ecae/flr_jungletemple_tex2.JPG The transition between the textures here looks weird - try and hide it somehow, or change some textures.

http://www.dump.no/files/ae3363b0ecae/flr_jungletemple_tex3.JPG The texture inside the "well" doesn't fit very good, and the water texture is not very high scaled (I know you can't always scale water textures like you want)

http://www.dump.no/files/ae3363b0ecae/flr_jungletemple_tex5.JPG I suggest him to make a start button similar to this end button.

http://www.dump.no/files/ae3363b0ecae/flr_jungletemple_tex4.JPG Maybe make some sort of fade-to-black texture trick there. Or make the hole deeper.

http://www.dump.no/files/ae3363b0ecae/flr_jungletemple_tex6.JPG Picture speaks for itself? :P

As others mentioned, there's a lot of wallbugs, and it seems like he tried to hide them by using the -cliptype parameter. This is really bad idea in my opinion...

Shortcuts:
I think people will do a shortcut here on public, when the pillar has fallen. (As the picture says, the face inside is pitch black, he could try and fix that too (e.g. set a minimum light value to the entity).

- so there only some bugs left to fix. then it should be ready for custom tag.

- maybe possible shortcut: look, http://dump.no/files/687b63915cc0/flr_jungletemple0003.JPG

Suggestions:

- Shortcuts: 1 , Maybe poss

- Rename the model folder name to the right ones.

- there alot of wallbugs in the first part. fix them all.

Other:

Note: Make a changelog when/if you resubmit so we can easier see what you have changed and make the process go faster.

FLR23/05/2009 01:55(edited 23/05/2009 02:04)

How come this maps get's denied when it already has been accepted?

"As others mentioned, there's a lot of wallbugs, and it seems like he tried to hide them by using the -cliptype parameter. This is really bad idea in my opinion..."

Never used such parameter when compiling...

"Maybe poss" - Not possible.

"there alot of wallbugs in the first part. fix them all."
HELL NO! Now I'm starting to get fucking angry with you people.
I've spent too much time fixing your "todo-list" that I've gotten tired of mapping. You made mapping boring to me.

This map has been accepted once, why the hell are you denying it now?
This site is getting worse by the week, I almost wish that Valve had deployed their update so that KZ wouldn't exist anymore. Oh no, wait, then all the hard work of the community would be for nothing. Well hey, then you know how I feel right now.

puppetz mapper23/05/2009 22:30(edited 23/05/2009 22:31)

Flayer, can you post your compile parameters/compile log so I can see what parameters you used? It's usually the -cliptype parameter that makes the walls feel like this, so I'm wondering what else it could be.

I'm almost 100% sure that people will whine about the first part in this map (cause of the buggy walls) and then blame it on us, the mapcheck team. People usually say the mapcheck team doesn't care about the jumps, only the looks of the map, so sometimes it's hard for us to find a "middle-way".

I do sort of understand your frustration if you are waiting to quit mapping, it's not very motivating to get a new bunch of bugs smacked in your head, but we are only trying to make the outcome of your map as good as possible, so please cool down.
I came in the mapcheck team after your map was accepted the first time, so I probably shouldn't say anything about that.

Other than that, I personally think your map is really sweet, it has nice jumps, textures, and it's got a good length. I guess you don't have to fix everything, since it's "only" gonna get custom tag. Notice that I most of the bugs I mentioned are optional. The nullbugs and the stretched texture should be an easy fix.

FLR23/05/2009 23:18(edited 24/05/2009 17:10)

Ok puppetz, I will cool down a bit. And I saw today, when I was fooling around with a new map, not KZ tho, that I by mistake had marked, in batch compiler, an option that enables -cliptype, so my apologies for that.

And I can fix some of these bugs, it's just that when you hear, "there alot of wallbugs in the first part. fix them all.", its like getting hit by a car. It basically means that I have to redo like 50% or more of the map. Imagine how it feels.

I will fix the easiest bugs, but I won't fix _all_ the wallbugs.

puppetz mapper24/05/2009 03:44

I just played the first part again, and it actually doesn't seem like there's a lot of wallbugs. The cliptype thing just makes the walls seem pretty "thick" and "sticky" somehow. I think the map will be much more pleasant to jump when you've compiled it without that option.
Good luck with it. :P

FLR24/05/2009 17:12(edited 24/05/2009 17:13)

Ok, so I spent the night and half of this day fixing all the bugs I could fix. I have pretty much fixed everything except for the wallbugs. I will upload the map later today when I've checked that the things I've "fixed" really are fixed.

FLR02/06/2009 19:59

Did you get the files I sent? It's been a while since I uploaded it.

omilo04/06/2009 19:25

Ye we got the updated map. Checking and voting is beeing done atm. Should be done soon.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.