Inspiration for mappers (paint sketches, idea
Hey, I've been extremely bored for the past few hours and I've tried to solve some stuff in my head, unfortunately my medication makes my intellectual ways of thinking a bit rusty - prepare yourself for the upcoming!
This thread I decided to create as a place for mappers to look out if they're missing ideas, inspiration or any sort of sad stuff incorporating to mapping. I've got myself a few ideas, and I'll share them for you in a second.
People, I want you to grab your guts and grab the pencil on your MS Paint, or PSP if you're more of an advanced artist! Share your painted maps, even though they're a disgrace in your opinion!
I have many weird, stupid and impossible-to-create ideas in my head, and I can't use "the hammer" and quite honestly, I refuse to try learning it - I am a stubborn person and I rarely see myself doing something for more than a full 10 minutes.
____________________________________________________________________
Anyways, heres something I painted - its not a show-off, as you CLEARLY can see. It is just a small idea that I thought would be funny for some mapper to create as a challenge. http://img30.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzelementunlocking.png - the picture sort of explains what I am after here, but I'll tell you anyways.
The idea in this sketch is to make a map, where you'll need to climb and after the trouble just throw it all away by jumping down again. You'll climb the first part (desert) and find a button on top of the "hill". Press the button, and the door, down there, will open. To soften your landing I drew a pool, but I reckon its not useful if you create the map in some ingenious way!
The second part, which my head kept telling me had to be mechanical, you'll essentially do the same as in the desert-part. You will climb up (I forgot to draw climbing blocks btw) and press yet again the button up in the kreedz-part, and then jump down as the door has opened.
Third and the final part, I entered a trance-like state where a feathered god of necrofilic pleasures advised me to create an icy, snowy or winter-like terrain for bunnyhopping. I drew a "snowy beach", where you'll see some blocks of ice in the water. You will jump from the blocks of ice and find yourself in the other side, hopefully alive! Then just press the stop-button and admire your time.
I'm sure that its possible for some great person to create a map like this, but most of all I would want EVERYONE ELSE to start sharing their ideas. I had to gather up my courage to post this lousy picture here, but now the barrier is broken and you may post yours without humiliation.
I started making a kz map in november 2008, but i quited mapping and i don't have any files left from that project. But i still have 2 pics of it, so if anyone want's to crab some ideas from this, then - http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=np1xu7.jpg http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=np2sy6.jpg.
Map was meant to be: lab - lab - outside - underground - outside.
kafds, long time ago I tried a very similar idea to yours (my idea was to not only create such rooms that you need to climb up to get to button and then jump down, but my startbutton was very near to endbutton and you needed to go through the entire map twice to open doors at start to push the end button, hope you got it), but there was only one problem, those kind of maps (oh, yeah, I wasn't talking about wanderer, but wanderer is also a great example) is not for jumping on lan/pub servers... they are single-player only...
If someone is interested in jumping good and fun map alone, that's just sad. Of course, I'm not saying that this idea is bad, it only has some downsides...
By the way, nice story ;)
Originally posted by Pieshelskafds, long time ago I tried a very similar idea to yours (my idea was to not only create such rooms that you need to climb up to get to button and then jump down, but my startbutton was very near to endbutton and you needed to go through the entire map twice to open doors at start to push the end button, hope you got it), but there was only one problem, those kind of maps (oh, yeah, I wasn't talking about wanderer, but wanderer is also a great example) is not for jumping on lan/pub servers... they are single-player only...
If someone is interested in jumping good and fun map alone, that's just sad. Of course, I'm not saying that this idea is bad, it only has some downsides...
By the way, nice story ;)
Hehe, thanks. I did understand the downside of this when I was painting it.
I was thinking of another idea while creating it, too... I like to call it "elementroad" - or kz_elementroad. You'd have all the four (4) elements introduced while you proceed further in the map.
Earth, wind, fire and water. You could start off from a solid cliff, which could maybe lead to a cavern of some sort - a damp cavern. When you have climbed in the cavern far enough, you would find a small pond at the end of it, then you dive off into a beach of some sort, and you bhop through piles of debris in the water, when you reach the other side yet another element would be awaiting for your arrival.
When you've jumped over the water-part, there would be a forest-like area. The forest would, in the beginning, be normal - when you proceed, you will find burning trees, maybe a river of lava would run under the blocks you jump in... then you start jumping in the side of a volcano!
How to do the element of air? I don't really know, but you could add windy sounds, maybe some rush of air would pull you off the cliff at some point, maybe there'd be these uplifting "columns" of air, maybe you would bunnyhop/jump around in clouds! There are many ideas you could do with this... idea.
ive had an idea of making a "heaven-like" map but it could also explain how u can do "wind": make a cluster of smoke puff (or similar) sprites so u cant see through them. these will simulate clouds and use clipping brushes so u can stand on them. ive never tried it but i think i will right now, maybe ill post some pics to see how it comes out :P but thats just my suggestion for wind.
took the idea of timmycake. Result - http://img199.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=1110010.jpg that was 5-8 min work.
Originally posted by Ever1xtook the idea of timmycake. Result - http://img199.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=1110010.jpg that was 5-8 min work.
I even don't want to know the r_speeds of that map.
Originally posted by RemaKe`Originally posted by Ever1xtook the idea of timmycake. Result - http://img199.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=1110010.jpg that was 5-8 min work.
I even don't want to know the r_speeds of that map.
Why would it have high r_speeds?
a lot of env_sprites, but someone said that sprites wont affect r_speeds, not sure about it anymore :/
I'm not 100% sure either, but I think only models, world brushes and brush entities has effect on r_speeds. r_speeds doesn't always tell you how good the fps is.
If you make a large map with high scaled textures, and a big water brush, you'll have bad fps, but that's not just cause of the wpoly.
Originally posted by Ever1xtook the idea of timmycake. Result - http://img199.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=1110010.jpg that was 5-8 min work.
damn i wish mine turned out that well haha but yeah thats what i mean exactly :O very niceee u can help me make my heaven map maybe xD hah
models and shit dont increase the wpolys! Water, low sclaed textures and vertexing gives you bad fps!
Originally posted by mtoboiii8000models and shit dont increase the wpolys! Water, low sclaed textures and vertexing gives you bad fps!
Models increase epoly, not wpoly.
im gonna buy the new iPoly from apple...
sorry i couldnt resist :P
I got another weird idea, which I think would be an interesting thing to try out. The idea is based on shadows.
I don't really know how to explain this well, but the main idea is to have you route marked by shadows and the bhop-zones "bunnyhop blocks" are actually just shadows on the ground - I just came up with this so I don't have many ideas in my head but when I get some more ideas later I'll post here.
(kz)_shadows ?
Please log in to post replies.