Just a few thoughts
To start off, let me say I’ve seen all those threads and comments about XJ being a dictatorship rather than a democratic community. The funny thing is, people don’t even know what they’re talking about. Well, first things first. If we’re to compare an online community to a form of government we better define what those forms actually are. Dictatorship or monarchy never truly exists. It’s never a single person, but a group so we’re talking about oligarchy, government ruled by the elite- the men behind the scenes. Now, the difference between democracy and republic is essential in understanding what we really mean by saying XJ should be a democratic community. For the sake of clear explanation we can assume democracy is when people rule and in a republic, law is above all. If XJ was a democracy and the majority claimed a certain person is a cheater, this person would be banned right away. Keeping the same allegory in the very same case there would be the admin, who’d say: “Wait, you’ve got no proof nor evidence. You can’t ban him like this.†and that admin would lead an investigation to find whether or not this person really is a cheater. So we managed to narrow down the possible forms of XJ’s government to an oligarchy or a republic, where democracy is only an intermediate state. Good example would be the Roman empire which was built as a republic, assuming Greek’s ideas for a perfect government. Unfortunately the political leaders let the republic turn into democracy which inevitably lead to oligarchy and that was the end to the glorious Roman times.
Let’s get back to Xtreme Jumps. Truth being said, you can’t define what XJ really is. Probably most of you don’t remember what XJ was few years ago. By the then “governmentâ€, 75 percent of you would be banned. Of course the staff knows that generation after generation, people change and what once was fundamental is nowadays considered old-fashioned. That’s why rules aren’t that strict and yet you keep complaining about admins being too harsh on you. Well think me old-fashioned, but in my opinion they’re being too soft. I know most of you will disagree, but at least try to get what I’m trying to say here. This community grew rapidly in the past years thus changes were inevitable. In my opinion, the staff did a good job adjusting to the constantly altered trend in behavior, but what you guys do is casting them down, taking away the pleasure of having this community in order with your constant complaints and flaming. Frankly, I consider it a burden to be an admin on XJ and that’s because all of you, thinking yourself the center of the universe. I honestly admire those guys who keep walking, moving the community forward along with them.
One last thing I’d like to add concerns faker. Perhaps you all know he’s being blamed for pretty much everything going on in XJ, not to mention the flaming and insulting he had to gulp back. I’ve been around long enough as a silent witness to what’s happening. When I first heard about him, it was a one-sided opinion- douchebag, moron, nazi and all kinds of shit. I’ve talked with him like 3-4 times and the first time, I had to do that, I was on my guard for possible confirmation of what I heard about him. Surprisingly, it was nothing like this. He was friendly and helpful with a guy who practically he’d never even heard of. I treated him with respect, he replied with the same. Don’t forget- what goes around, comes around (I don’t like the Timberlake though). In the light of the recent events there was another convo I had to make with him and trust me guys, he’d gladly ban half the community if he could keep thopa… Shit happens, but everyone has to suffer the consequences of his/her actions and thopa isn’t an exception to that. Leave the staff dealing with this matter and ease off the hassle. Try to understand and we’d all benefit from this. So… thanks faker for still keeping your head up and bearing with the XJ “burdenâ€.
I can barely call myself active, but I felt like sharing those words with you guys. Wish my English was any better so I could express my thoughts exactly the way I wanted… Peace out!
Originally posted by st0kaTo start off, let me say I’ve seen all those threads and comments about XJ being a dictatorship rather than a democratic community. The funny thing is, people don’t even know what they’re talking about. Well, first things first. If we’re to compare an online community to a form of government we better define what those forms actually are. Dictatorship or monarchy never truly exists. It’s never a single person, but a group so we’re talking about oligarchy, government ruled by the elite- the men behind the scenes. Now, the difference between democracy and republic is essential in understanding what we really mean by saying XJ should be a democratic community. For the sake of clear explanation we can assume democracy is when people rule and in a republic, law is above all. If XJ was a democracy and the majority claimed a certain person is a cheater, this person would be banned right away. Keeping the same allegory in the very same case there would be the admin, who’d say: “Wait, you’ve got no proof nor evidence. You can’t ban him like this.†and that admin would lead an investigation to find whether or not this person really is a cheater. So we managed to narrow down the possible forms of XJ’s government to an oligarchy or a republic, where democracy is only an intermediate state. Good example would be the Roman empire which was built as a republic, assuming Greek’s ideas for a perfect government. Unfortunately the political leaders let the republic turn into democracy which inevitably lead to oligarchy and that was the end to the glorious Roman times.
Let’s get back to Xtreme Jumps. Truth being said, you can’t define what XJ really is. Probably most of you don’t remember what XJ was few years ago. By the then “governmentâ€, 75 percent of you would be banned. Of course the staff knows that generation after generation, people change and what once was fundamental is nowadays considered old-fashioned. That’s why rules aren’t that strict and yet you keep complaining about admins being too harsh on you. Well think me old-fashioned, but in my opinion they’re being too soft. I know most of you will disagree, but at least try to get what I’m trying to say here. This community grew rapidly in the past years thus changes were inevitable. In my opinion, the staff did a good job adjusting to the constantly altered trend in behavior, but what you guys do is casting them down, taking away the pleasure of having this community in order with your constant complaints and flaming. Frankly, I consider it a burden to be an admin on XJ and that’s because all of you, thinking yourself the center of the universe. I honestly admire those guys who keep walking, moving the community forward along with them.
One last thing I’d like to add concerns faker. Perhaps you all know he’s being blamed for pretty much everything going on in XJ, not to mention the flaming and insulting he had to gulp back. I’ve been around long enough as a silent witness to what’s happening. When I first heard about him, it was a one-sided opinion- douchebag, moron, nazi and all kinds of shit. I’ve talked with him like 3-4 times and the first time, I had to do that, I was on my guard for possible confirmation of what I heard about him. Surprisingly, it was nothing like this. He was friendly and helpful with a guy who practically he’d never even heard of. I treated him with respect, he replied with the same. Don’t forget- what goes around, comes around (I don’t like the Timberlake though). In the light of the recent events there was another convo I had to make with him and trust me guys, he’d gladly ban half the community if he could keep thopa… Shit happens, but everyone has to suffer the consequences of his/her actions and thopa isn’t an exception to that. Leave the staff dealing with this matter and ease off the hassle. Try to understand and we’d all benefit from this. So… thanks faker for still keeping your head up and bearing with the XJ “burdenâ€.
I can barely call myself active, but I felt like sharing those words with you guys. Wish my English was any better so I could express my thoughts exactly the way I wanted… Peace out!
First of all, your English is pretty good. Liked it much
Secondly, About faker, so i don't recognize him much. I know and see what he does for XJ and to tell the story short, I would say he is an excellent Admin and has many successes.
So I think just like you.....
I think almost the same for xj minus some things about fps death :)
It would be wrong for me to rate who is the best admin in XJ and who does a worse job compared to another admin, but I have to say that in my opinion faker is the best admin here in XJ. He takes a stand from a neutral position - I had a brief conversation with him concerning my not-so-recent ban a while ago, which was for racism by the way, and I too had heard alot about faker.
After a few words were changed my image of him was completely turned around, I had a "bad" picture of him given by the complaining community. Quite frankly I can't find a single bad thing or decision he has made incorporating with Xtreme-Jumps - banning thopa was a hard thing and I messaged him about it so that I can get more information about the subject, from his message you can clearly see how humane and compassionate he can be.
I'll quote a bit:
You know... thopa had and still has a place in my heart, but from an organizational professional perspective it is more than unacceptable to let him stay after all this, especially since he wasn't even honest when we first accused him... he started with some lies and then later he confessed it, after we confronted him with the truth.
I think its great, that the admins can make even hard decisions like this concerning a fellow admin/a friend. I've taken a small dive to the recent "kayne incident" and after reading his motives to kick thopa from XJ was a perfectly rational and an acceptable decision.
I am sure that thopa feels very bad about this too - he isn't a bad guy, as he only tried to help another "kreedz-community" by passing FPS Death to the admin of Cypress Climbing, s1z3. He didn't have any idea of his true nature before the unfortunate, bad news.
I am sorry, it seems that I have slightly stepped out of the subject - more ontopic answer, shortly, would be that its great that you shared your thoughts. Alot of people surely don't understand the differences between these different boards of directors and I hope that the people who read this wont just consider this statement of yours simply as "a wall of text" but something to learn from.
P.S. I've tried to write some of my own thoughts as well, but I can't properly fit them in words and then I stop writing. Inspirational!
P.P.S. Your english isn't bad at all! :)
This community grew rapidly in the past years thus changes were inevitable. In my opinion, the staff did a good job adjusting to the constantly altered trend in behavior, but what you guys do is casting them down, taking away the pleasure of having this community in order with your constant complaints and flaming. Frankly, I consider it a burden to be an admin on XJ and that’s because all of you, thinking yourself the center of the universe. I honestly admire those guys who keep walking, moving the community forward along with them.
Great passage, really great to see that some people still think about such things and are not only focused on themselves - I always tend to call that "demanding" attitude.
They want to get everything and see everything done in a perfect way, but they are not aware of the fact that we do not get payed for our work and do all the stuff voluntarily.
Too bad that the average flamer won't take his time to
a) read through your post
b) think about your arguments and things you pointed out.
However, I appreciate that you share you thoughts. Motivating to read some positive feedback :)
Lol, thanks kafds! I didn't even expect such a reply. All I hoped for were a few one-line replies and a few people who might actually bring all the negative stuff that happened lately round to a much more positive way of looking on things, going on in this communty. Even if one single flamer reads through my post it will still make a difference.
Few years ago, I had to do the same you did with thopa. The reason why was more or less similar and I felt really bad after that. Actually, the community reaction to that was the same as it is on XJ now. I simply thought you guys deserve a few words on your work here. It turned out as a wall of text, but trust me kafds if it was in Bulgarian it would've been twice as big. :D
Anyways, I'm really glad you took the time to read it. Keep them posts coming. This isn't about my thoughts in particular, it's about everyone's. So feel free to share what you guys think about stuff in general, there's more than enough said, referring to the recent issues.
P.S. I know, I should have posted this in the discussion sub-forum, but I feel like if such message is going to be addressed to the staff, there should be proper tone for that. There's no better place than the "Website issues" section, imo.
st0ka, I love your expression of thoughts in words. I’ve always tried to do so. These thoughts from each of the administrators (the frank, the most extensive thought to the people) - it would be wonderful.
My english really bad. If you find my message to the message - travesty of st0ka - it’s your opinion. I love policy XJ - policy faker, OddYsseus. faker always was strict and always protected honour XJ. It defended each trifle which directly concerned politicians XJ. Thanks to it of the person now XJ such what it is. If there were no such strict rules: one infringement - at once punishment XJ has collapsed. I am glad that sources XJ have such people, as OddYsseus, faker, eDark (code), Moxx, radon (maps). Without them there would be no all it, as these people - one of who have enclosed scale efforts to the project. Global efforts of people XJ also have helped XJ to become such global project in world KZ. In each community there are people who will be floods which will convict/offend administrators. People who will respect the administrators (but few such people), as well as other people (inactive/dormant/supervise/fans). Without all these people in aggregate the project will be not such attractive in respect of various events, than without them.
2-3 years ago I considered XJ – impenetrable empire. I considered that managers XJ are so adult and skilled people that I was not decided to write to them, though I had questions. But, after a while I have started to ask admins XJ. I have started to ask questions which me interested. I have understood that community XJ has excellent sociable people. Will help everyone if this question is worthy the help. On each projects is and there will be people who are quick-tempered, fast take offence also the other. Usually they have less, than 18 years. It is natural – emotions. Each of us was such at this age, it is not obligatory at forums – in a life (I understand, not all people).
One more moment. In each community initially there are people who remain with community very long time. Later 3-6 years to community connected some thousand people. There are separate groups of the people which words much mean for the others. As they are known by many years. But when the new person tries to express the thought to community – its words not such powerful, as the same words from the person whom all know. Such on XJ I observed time and again, but it is everywhere. I think, as my text will be not such powerful, but I wish to keep it here, as my respect to XJ.
I speak all – thanks XJ’s for a remarkable site and the remarkable policy.
I totally agree with you st0ka, very nice thoughts. I even sometimes catch myself in this zeitgeist thinking that XJ should be the way I like it ignoring the fact that I am just a standbyer watching community grow.
Thank you faker for showing that this community can be as serious as any other more real since this is global community of a bunch of kids. GJ
what the fuck
Originally posted by st0kaDictatorship or monarchy never truly exists. It’s never a single person, but a group so we’re talking about oligarchy, government ruled by the elite- the men behind the scenes.
Having a Cabinet to aid in decision making does not imply an instance of oligarchy, so long as the dictator's decision is unsurpassable. Dictatorships do indeed exist, just ask the Jews.
If XJ had to be classified as a government form, a dictatorship would be the most accurate choice, with faker as the dictator. Some may argue that XJ is an oligarchy, since other admins contribute to the decision making process, but ultimately, it is faker's prerogative to supersede any decision he disapproves of.
Despite the negative connotations connected with "dictatorships," XJ is managed effectively and will continue to endure with faker in place.
Since it's an internet community, I just would like people to explain me how they want XJ to be a democracy?
Ok so let's vote for a president, some ministers, with 3 colums: the justice, the legislative and the executive.
Let's create a new real country if we already go that far!
As you all know, it is an online community working with voluntary working. It's simply not possible to make an online community what you call a democracy, the only thing the XJ crew can do is being as close as they can to "democracy", taking the fairest decisions possible.
I do agree with all what you said st0ka, plus that's really well written.
About the criticizing members...
The thing that makes me laugh is that 99.5% of the community members don't have any admin skills or experience. Critics are easy, but what about doing what we say?
There always must be a bad role in a staff, unfortunately that's faker who got it, because of (or thanks to, just a question of point of view) his head-admin place. There must be somebody to take hard decisions, and that's what he does, without complaining, taking all of this trashtalk in the face, just because he does what he has to do.
Just imagine if he wouldn't be there, XJ wouldn't be like a dictatorship, neither a democracy, but more like a big mess, a lawlessness.
That's what I just wanna say "thanks" to all the admins for their works, and especially to faker for the hard position he keeps standing in.
Each of administrators managed affairs for XJ in due time. faker – the leader at present, it has sustained all times and misfortunes on XJ. I will a little explain the thoughts.
I can tell one thing which I precisely know. We take any project on the Internet and we take chief managers of this project. All project depends on those who has created the project and who has decided it to do better. If chief managers are so silent and a little active after some years after project start the project will die also it will comprehend chaos. On XJ now only 1st person who does work for public (writes news, notifies and punishes all severely). But it is all does not 1. There are other managers who do work in a site. faker now is the purpose for all people as he writes to news the most artful messages for XJ (artful – that is they firm and very global in changes). faker holds holds blow for all managers, from all people on XJ for its news. It is heavy, but it is necessary to be reasonable and to understand such things, not to accuse him.
Do not speak about democracy and about other political things. In that case XJ it is possible to make as an empire of evil and chaos. It not so. XJ has learnt us to love kreedz. XJ has united all countries of the world on KZ, it gives us new records which we send them, it gives the new maps, the new movies, new ideas.
OddYsseus and other admins have at that time made a basis, a template for only. faker has continued this epoch, it has strengthened a template which was put by the first managers XJ then. It now holds blow outside. But the big work is done by other managers inside. But also then, faker unique who could hold skirmishes with people. It unique from admins who could answer with large texts in reply to same large the text from visitors XJ. It did not surrender also it is firm as a stone. It is not necessary to abuse now it that it does. If faker takes considerable steps for XJ, means so it is necessary. All process and community XJ structure is visible to it. As he has continued life XJ and has grown up XJ with others admins.
Stay turned XJ. Sorry my "fantastic" english.
First of all st0ka, you are saying that people who call XJ a dictatorship are stupid and don't know what they are talking about. And in my opinion XJ was and maybe even still is a dictatorship so I guess I belong to that stupid group? However, when I tried to find out why I was so wrong I was a bit disappointed because I couldn't find any real arguments.
You are argueing about terms like for example dictatorship and oligarchy but because you are so focused on this you are actually missing the point. I know there is a difference and yes you are right, technically XJ isn't a dictatorship but is that the point? No, those are just linguistic terms. When I say XJ is a dictatorship, everyone knows what I mean so I made my point clear. So instead of argueing about linguistic and technical terms, you shoud argue about the real issues and problems.
To make it even more clear, I'll explain why I thought and maybe even still think XJ is a dictatorship. In my opinion XJ as a community doesn't represent (the majority of) their users. Because I believe XJ doesn't listen and even ignores the opinions, ideas and views of their users. There is no tollerance, and with tollerance I'm referring to the fact that XJ doesn't allow people to have different opinions which is very important to have a healthy and growing community. XJ has one opinion and that's it. If you have a different opinion then you are a bad guy or placed in a special category called flamer/idiot.
In a democracy, the government (a group of people) controls and regulates but the power (ideas, opnions) comes from the people. And that's what XJ is missing. I'm part of this community but I don't feel like I have my share in this community. I remember a while ago, we had a discussion about catching cheaters. Some said the only effective way to catch cheaters here on XJ is to say/shout their names in public and almost literally spam the forums instead of going to an admin (privately)...I guess the reason was because the admins were just unreachable and there was no communication available. So there was/is a big gap between the users and the admins.
Another example: my account got deleted by OddYsseus (I guess?) some months ago for no reason. I tried to contact an admin which obviously failed and eventually he got away with it... I still don't know why my account got deleted, the last thing I remember is that me and him were discussing about the PM system but I never flamed or anything so ... but like I said before... no tollerance to have a different opinion, forced to follow the leaders or get deleted literally. And it's really sad that there were no further consequences or anything. He literally can do whatever he wants to. No system that regulates this.
Another example, a while ago we were discussing about the slidesc. Me and a lot of other people gave really good arguments and faker just crushed us... he called us idiots and said we were ridiculous without even giving (contra-) arguments. That's just something that you don't expect from such a big representative or leader? I mean, you don't have to agree with me or every opinion but atleast try to respect it. And imo, I see you (faker, in particular) disrepect other opinions that doesn't correspond with your own opinion. And that's just really sad, because my opinion should be just as important as yours or any other opinion but it seems like it isn't. You and XJ really give that kind of feeling to a lot of its users.
And of course faker is the one that gets blamed for everything... he is the man in control? People with a lot of responsibility get a lot of credit but also a lot of criticism (esp when the system fails)... that's the way it works... and yes I know u are doing this voluntary but that doesn't implicate that we can't criticise you when we think you are doing your job not well.
i cbf reading all the massive posts, but st0ka ur taking the words too literally, i myself have said the same things, its not a democracy etc etc, and thats true to a certain extent....often times the general 'public' arent listened to.
theres no need to go into all this unnecessary depth about government rofl...imo ur whole post just seemed like a pretentious rant. comparing xj to roman goverment...rofl...it just seems like ur trying to show off ur knowledge of politics...
when they say, its not a democracy, or when i said it - it was because the admins basically didnt/sometimes still dont give two shits about most peoples opinions. a large percentage of the time the admins arent checking the forums, or when they do, focus on only those filled with flaming so they can warn people etc etc. it often requires 3 pages of crap before the admins will sift through it.
that is where the word dictatorship came from. Nobody actually thinks about it in such unnecessary depth in relation to xj, and yes the word is often used carelessly and in the wrong context. but the meaning behind it is that from a general visitors perspective it seems like the admins make all the decisions without considering public opinion.
so basically, nobody actually considered the model of a dictatorship when loosely throwing that term around, but it was more so a general statement to express distaste towards the way the site was run - as i said without consideration of public opinion - no need to take it literally and blow it way out of proportion.
Wall of text omg ;0
Please log in to post replies.