Idea for another cargo map

Started by Ovidiu Dumitru
12/06/2010 13:05
Page 1 of 1
Ovidiu Dumitru12/06/2010 13:05

... but this time very different than what we already have.

While I was in library, studying, I entered on google and saw this : http://i47.tinypic.com/2ywd7vk.png

Imo it's an amazing photo that can be turned into an amazing kz map. Maybe it's just me, but I really like it. Even though it's a cargo theme, I find it a fresh idea from where to start a new map.

Maybe a mapper who likes this picture/idea and has time can start adapting it for a kz map.

FuZzy1 mapper12/06/2010 14:28

kind of hard to make in hammer that thing... and the result that the player will see when he jumps the map will be almost the same as in cargo...

Here is a good ideea for a map "Taj Mahal". Tried to make the map some time ago, but couldn't make the domes properly and abandoned the project... But now there is a tutorial http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?217609 on how to make the domes..

I am surprised that now one made a map based on Taj Mahal ..

skitz mapper12/06/2010 14:46

What's different exactly?

Ovidiu Dumitru12/06/2010 15:45

KiarFuzzy there are A LOT of ideas for maps. Probably there needs to be a special forum for ideas. Indeed Taj Mahal is amazing and if someone can do it, it would be great.

skitz, first of all the theme. It's a map based only on a cargo port, where all the big things happens in this field of activity. Second, the structure. I don't know a map that looks like this. Beside that it's about cargos, overall everything is new for a possible kz map.

Fliborecord holder Tournament #212/06/2010 16:07

Cargo ports are cool, but several maps already have used the theme more or less, I'm not sure if there is a need for more. Also, an ancient proverb about mapping says: "boxes = no imagination". That also includes cargo loads, or whatever they are called.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a new cargo map. Taj Mahal looks pretty ideal for a kz map. This is just what I wrote that tutorial for :) Go ahead and make it.

opa12/06/2010 22:35(edited 12/06/2010 22:40)

Good idea, but that will definately not work. The polygon count would be just monstrous

Fliborecord holder Tournament #212/06/2010 23:51

Originally posted by opa
Good idea, but that will definately not work. The polygon count would be just monstrous

Depends on how you do it (obviously). The way radon made it in kz_ea_harbor is not that great... You would just need some nice optimization. It could work.

remake13/06/2010 02:17

wasn't harbor made by ovi, not radon?

skitz mapper13/06/2010 03:44

Originally posted by Flibo
... an ancient proverb about mapping says: "boxes = no imagination".

So you're saying I have no imagination then? :D
skitz_box_silo ...

Originally posted by remake
wasn't harbor made by ovi, not radon?

Yea, the 'ea' tag always makes me assume its radons work too.

Fliborecord holder Tournament #213/06/2010 12:22

Originally posted by remake
wasn't harbor made by ovi, not radon?

Oh, soz.
Originally posted by skitz
So you're saying I have no imagination then? :D
skitz_box_silo ...

I don't know. For some reason when people use unimaginative details (ahem, boxes) in their maps, the jumps become much more interesting. When people actually make nice looking sceneries, they don't use that for their good and just make really boring jumps. When the scenery is a part of the jumps it's just instantly cooler in my opinion.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.