Question for da pros

Started by Fanas
08/10/2010 16:20
Page 1 of 1
Fanas08/10/2010 16:20

What should:

mirv_movie_fps ?

mirv_sample_sps ?

and

the final fps output of the movie be?

unBreakS08/10/2010 16:27

read on advancedfx.org for more detail

rK08/10/2010 16:31

it depends on what you want.
your question is like:

ice tea or cocaine

Fanas08/10/2010 18:40

I want the movie to look fluid and only a bit blurry in motion, like the "juleeeh - My Curse" by rEs0LuTe for example.

Charly.0s08/10/2010 23:47(edited 08/10/2010 23:54)

mirv_movie_fps : it depends about what you want to do with your movie, generally 180 is perfect to have the smoothest quality possible but you can improve it to 400-500 or whatever if you add some uber slowmopart etc.. btw like I said 180 is perfect.

mirv_sample_sps : it don't change many things it's about the effect on the side when your personnage move, imo you shouldn't active the sample cause it make a "trouble" effect, I've done many test and it's really better without that (on jumpmovie, no fragmovie..)
btw it depends of your style of editing, it's my point of view.. (scuse my bad english)

hf (ps : I'm not a pro but i wanted to answer bout that^^)

alfredoboi09/10/2010 00:49(edited 09/10/2010 00:57)

mirv_sample_sps: A little hard to explain.
Let's say you're only using 30 in "mirv_movie_fps". Normally it wont look fluid, you need at least 80-90 to make it look acceptable, but all these images takes harddisk space. "Mirv_sample_sps" makes the render system of the HL engine run with more fps than the demo is playing, which results in a motion blur-like effect. Let's say you've specified 500 in "mirv_sample_sps" and 30 in "mirv_movie_Fps". That means that the motion blur-system will act like it's being played at 500 fps, but it will still only produce 30 frames a second. So, technically speaking, you'll get a 500 fps movie which only the takes the space a 30 fps-movie would do. It's a nothing less than amazing feature if you're low on harddisk space, and still need to make a movie that's uber smooth.
A disadvantage about this one though, must be that it's not possible to make proper slowmotion in the clips when editing afterwards, unless you've specified a high "mirv_movie_Fps"-value together with the "mirv_sample_sps"-value. But if you did that it would be pointless, as that's the complete opposite of what "mirv_sample_sps" is supposed to do.
Another disadvantage about it is, that you can't use the velocity tool in Vegas to pause it either. Because when you use "mirv_Sample_sps" it makes the motion blur-effect on EVERY image (some images more than others), so if you pause it, it'll look hella blurred and ugly.

So a final conclusion would be:

Only use "mirv_sample_sps" when your low on harddisk space and are 100% sure that this clip wont need to be slowmoed in any way afterwards. In every other situation, use the normal "mirv_movie_fps" as it gives alot more control over the editing process.

It's hard to explain, I don't know if I suceed :D

Charly.0s09/10/2010 02:08

Originally posted by alfredoboi
That means that the motion blur-system will act like it's being played at 500 fps, but it will still only produce 30 frames a second. So, technically speaking, you'll get a 500 fps movie which only the takes the space a 30 fps-movie would do.


I think it's a joke, or smth like that, you should read about sps and fps to understand the difference 'bout them, I'm 99.99% sure you're misunderstandinG that point

rK09/10/2010 14:01

sps is shit. too lazy to explain but belive me. just use normal fps capturing.

I recommend 300 fps. very fluid but still sharp enough, also slowmotion till ~30% possible.

Charly.0s09/10/2010 15:19

I think we can't recommand 300 fps, it depends of what we want to do, 300fps can be a waste of time/espace on your DD if you just do a normal movie without any slowmopart or stuff like that

rK09/10/2010 16:05

as I said its according to my opinion the best agreement between fluidness and sharpness. Its not a waste of space or time if you dont slow it down and anyways captur with 300 fps. the motion blur is better / proper / fits more with 300 fps than with 120 fps.

Fanas09/10/2010 16:17

Thank you all, finally I get my movie parts to be fluid as I intended.

k a f f e e09/10/2010 23:05

i sometimes used a fat ammount of sps (4 or 5 times the fps) and also did some slowmotion and velocity changes. imo that looks rly cool, kinda more realistic than this supersharp slowmotion without the sampling system:

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1g-48JxUIE

on the other hand, in kz and especially surf the difference is less noticable and not very fortunate for the purpose (probably because people more likly concentrate on the movement in those movies)

all a matter of taste at the end, just try

alfredoboi10/10/2010 11:05

Originally posted by Charly.0s
Originally posted by alfredoboi
That means that the motion blur-system will act like it's being played at 500 fps, but it will still only produce 30 frames a second. So, technically speaking, you'll get a 500 fps movie which only the takes the space a 30 fps-movie would do.


I think it's a joke, or smth like that, you should read about sps and fps to understand the difference 'bout them, I'm 99.99% sure you're misunderstandinG that point



well, at least thats how i understand/remember it. Its starting to get long time since i made even a tiny clip, so i might be wrong. I guess i should have wrote that in my post lol

rK10/10/2010 14:01

Originally posted by k a f f e e
i sometimes used a fat ammount of sps (4 or 5 times the fps) and also did some slowmotion and velocity changes. imo that looks rly cool, kinda more realistic than this supersharp slowmotion without the sampling system:

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1g-48JxUIE

on the other hand, in kz and especially surf the difference is less noticable and not very fortunate for the purpose (probably because people more likly concentrate on the movement in those movies)

all a matter of taste at the end, just try


you forgotten the effect on effects (wtf really!) and colours if you have already frames with motion blur in your video editing programm. and I think this causes troubles or at least is less appropriate

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.