Shadow question

Started by byob mapper
18/10/2010 22:26
Page 1 of 1
byob mapper18/10/2010 22:26

I wonder if there is a way to make an invisible brush that casts a shadow?

alfredoboi19/10/2010 00:10

i think the null texture still makes a brush cast shadows, but im not sure. Test it.

And if it doesnt work, you can put the 255blue-texture on the brush, make it func_wall, set the rendermode to solid and go into the lightflags and make it block the light from there.

Timmycakes mapper19/10/2010 00:21

wow i had no idea u could set func_walls (or whatever) to block light and cast shadows o.O

dEMolite mapper19/10/2010 02:01

every func_ can be given the light flag for casting shadows.

best example for that are the trees in de_volare with cast shadows from the leafs.

FuZzy1 mapper19/10/2010 06:46

if all the faces of the brush are textured with null it will not cast shadow or block the light, it has to have a face with a normal texture (the face that will not be seen by the player in the game if it is possible in you case)

byob mapper19/10/2010 17:58

The light flag was what I just wanted, now I can make anything I wish to cast shadows.
However, as I hoped not to, the rad compile time is now 8 times longer after I set this flag on about 20 brush entities.

No big harm, but I just wanna make sure if this is really the reason rad takes now so much time to complete.

FuZzy1 mapper19/10/2010 19:20

yes, that is the reason why rad takes longer

alfredoboi19/10/2010 23:19

well, I would say the extra compile time pays itself back in most cases, as it can make a map look better :P besides that, the majority of all mappers nowadays have so fast computers it doesn't really matter that much.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.