Reverse a map...
Hi,
A few days ago, an idea ran through my mind : what about reversing a map we often play, like an hns_map for exemple ? I shared this idea with my friends and they were all keen on that idea...
So, I asked n0ztic, a good friend of mine, if it was possible and if it could be done easily and quickly. He answered me that yes, it would probably take less than one hour to reverse a map like hns_floppytown... Nevertheless, he quited mapping and moviemaking a few time ago to focus on his work, and he deleted all his mappig tools.
So, could someone try to reverse hns_floppytown ? ^^ If this task is too long or boring, how long would it take (for someone who doesn't know anything yet about it) to learn mapping in order to have enough skill to do it ?
Yeah I know, stupid question... :B
Thanks !
About an hour for inexperienced mappers.
About 10 minutes for experienced mappers.
Step 1: Ask for original mapper's approval.
Step 2: If you can get the .rmf, skip to step 4, if not, then decompile that map.
Step 3: Fix any errors that occured during decompilation.
Step 4: Inverse the map (select all, flip).
Step 5: Re-check for any errors.
Step 6: Check if you have done the first step, if not, do it.
Step 7: Compile.
Voila.
Where can I find floppytown's creator then ? :B
why would you need to reverse a map?
well, the actual question is, what do you mean by REVERSING a map?
I think he means to mirror it.
@Pieshelds : Exactly
@ Skr : Reversing a map where my friends and I spent hours on, would just be very funny...
Furthermore, I could put it on many French HNS servers... So, for a 30min work, it is worth it ! ;)
Could someone (qualified in mapping) give me the best mapping pack (I've seen several ones in the forum but idk which one is the best to begin mapping).
And also some good tutorials.
Thanks in advance ! :3
Just check the Misc section from Downloads
Flipping/mirroring wouldn't work on more complex maps, because rotating off-grid vertices and brushes causes errors pretty often. In such cases, you would need to re-build alot of things, and possibly the entire map - even if you had an 100% intact rmf. Just saying.
Can't agree to you, I am using flip ([CTRL] + or [L]) all the time, the only bugs are wrong texture alignment (texture perpendicular to blah blah blah...)
And it easy fixed by selecting "face" or "world" attribute.
If you have any kind of off-grid vertice errors, a question about bad mapping of the original comes up.
And there are not many off-grid vertices in hns maps anyway.
That is, if you have the .rmf.
If you don't, then it would be like you say, because decompile tends to f*** up almost everything that is smaller than 4x4 or with off-grid anything.
Other thing - fliping won't flip the models as well as sprites.
Just saying. ^_^
Not always. There ARE certain objects which can't have all vertices on the grid. Let's take a sphere - would require endless hours of work, if even possible, to get all vertices on-grid. Alot of small objects with many faces would actually be impossible to get 100% on-grid, and after decompiling they would be as fucked up as the Twin Towers back in 2001.
Also, the vertices can be on the grid in the original place it was build, but when you rotate it, it'll make the vertices go off-grid, and ofc you can just "clean up" with the vertex tool, but there are just some cases where it'll make the brush look distorted/deformed no matter what.
But it's not always the rotation makes a brush invalid. It depends on alot of things, like how much is the vertice off the grid, which shape does the brush have, how are the faces placed etc. I've just had it occuring quite alot of times, and I consider my mapping to be pretty clean as I try to avoid off-grid things as much as possible, even though I use hlfix aswell.
Theoretically, if there aren't any bugs at 0 degrees there souldn't be any bugs at 180 degrees either.
plus im willing to bed the map he has in mind (being an HnS map) is EXTREMELY simplistic in its brushwork. giant boxy brushes everywhere
agree with Pieshels and remake... if there are no problems (structure etc...), after 90 or 180 degrees rotation/flipping - off-grid bug should not appear
Which program can decompile a CS 1.6 map ? I only find CSS maps decompilers... :/
u need to lurk moar.
here you go, op
http://www.navycs.com/gallery2/d/2228-2/BSP2Map.zip
Hey not need to make new topic but i dont have env_model on my Vhe 3.5 , if i need new Fgd pls send me a link . ty
Use cycle_sprite for model files, env_sprite for sprites and ambient_generic for sounds.
thanks :) what about Timer bug ?
Please log in to post replies.