bq_colorblock - my first map

Started by blaq
26/12/2010 18:32
Page 1 of 1
blaq26/12/2010 18:32(edited 26/12/2010 18:33)

Ohai thar.

So yeah, this is my first more serious map. I made it mostly because I wanted to learn Hammer a little more than I already did, but also for the sake of creating a KZ map that _I_ would enjoy playing.
Don't have any high expectations on this map: as I said it was created mostly for learning (e.g. I don't know very much about lighting yet, as you can see), and I focused on the jumps, hence the lack of an atmosphere and a theme.

Difficulty: easy/average somewhere.

Please provide feedback!

Screens:
http://data.fuskbugg.se/dipdip/halflife12.png
http://data.fuskbugg.se/dipdip/halflife13.png
http://data.fuskbugg.se/dipdip/halflife14.png

Map:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zadg5z

kthxbai :D

nobody^01/01/2011 03:05

For a first map it's pretty cool. You should make more creative jumps on the next one.

blaq04/01/2011 16:31

Originally posted by FuZzy1
looks pretty ugly


I know, as I said: I'm learning.
Could you point me in the right direction on how to make it "non-ugly"? Thanks.

CamelCloudrecord holder04/01/2011 17:15(edited 04/01/2011 17:16)

Originally posted by FuZzy1
looks pretty ugly


Unecessary comment from your side. Comments like this are provoking and they can make the person they're directed to sad and unmotivated to continue with whatever the reason is, this time mapping. I'd like to see your first map.

The map is good for being your first, the theme is there - you were going for a block map with colors. And you achieved success.

I recommend checking out the mappers section on Cosy Climbing. A lot of nice information and tutorials.

Keep mapping, it can only go upwards from now on!

niel04/01/2011 18:35

Originally posted by nobody^
For a first map it's pretty cool. You should make more creative jumps on the next one.


+1 keep going

FuZzy1 mapper04/01/2011 19:15

@CamelCloud
I meant to write some guidelines/suggestions but i was in a hurry and forgotten about this tread :)...
Also here's my firs map : http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/142402




Anyway, here's some tips for beginners :

-read as many tutorials as you can before, during and after you started your map, you will be amazed how many cool stuff you will find out

-take a closer look at existent maps and try to understand what the mapper did "there and there, and there" .If you look closer and with attention on a map you will see stuff that normally don't pops out in your eyes. Study the architecture and try to make something new based on that or something similar at least if you don't have any inspiration.
-most important part when starting a map is to have a concept in your head about what you will want to do. If you have an concept to start with, you will have many new ideas while you work on the map, and the mapping will go much faster and less boring.
- find some good looking textures (what you have now are very ugly and badly used), play with the lights (colors, shade, shadow) and see how it will look nicer. Good lighting will radically change the looks of a map.

That is about all that comes to my head this time...

If you want to make kz maps you it will probably be good to read this before : http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/content/content.php?cat.25 and this http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?145809 this http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?53504 and this http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?80285

perd0 mapper04/01/2011 19:20

one of these mapper's first maps which looks good :) n1ce

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.