Detalization vs FPS

Started by spr1n mapper
03/01/2011 10:40
Page 1 of 1
spr1n mapper03/01/2011 10:40(edited 05/05/2011 14:55)

Its about improving FPS in a map.

I wrote this article a few months ago. Its based on info I got from some other sources and my own experience.

It appeared to be too complicated for some people. Thats not a regular tutorial or how-to, tho I tried to explain all information as good as I could. So just put some effort.

Questions, suggestions, tips etc. are more than welcome.

Article: http://spr1n.kz-baltic.eu/mapping/FPSimprove/

gizpo_O03/01/2011 16:05(edited 03/01/2011 16:08)

damn spr1n, looks awesome.. complicated but I'll try it out (if im able to do it)

EDIT: lol, checked it fast and didn't get it's for mappers, fu. well. hopefully we can see more maps with 100fps (even on my pc)..

spr1n mapper04/01/2011 15:35

hehe I was surprised to see you replied to this thread D thought you started mapping too)

dEMolite mapper05/01/2011 00:36

one mistake is there with the epolys "This has less affect on fps"

less effects on fps but high affects into the engine.
cause the engine can only handel a short amount of epolys to feel unlaggy. More models with high poly count and the game feels laggy later.

byob mapper27/01/2011 18:41

I think that what's missing from your article, although you mention it indirectly a few times, is that you should make a separate paragraph where you should emphasize the importance of map layout design in poly counts before mapping takes place.

These techniques will not save your map if you made a mistake from the beginning and planned a big room or a false important connection between 2 big rooms. It's very important as I found out by experience, that although I had the knowledge about r_speeds, I made the mistake while mapping just because I didn't have in mind to plan my map/ specific room before I started making it.

I just think this wasn't emphasized enough. Otherwise the article covers pretty much all basics you need to know about saving polys.

spr1n mapper29/01/2011 13:08

Thank you dEMolite, indeed I was too abstract about this. Fixed this and some other things in the article.


Originally posted by byob
These techniques will not save your map if you made a mistake from the beginning and planned a big room or a false important connection between 2 big rooms.
not if you are too lazy to fix or remake things you have already made. Also I have mentioned that in "1. Architecture, Vis block" part.

Originally posted by byob
I think that what's missing from your article, although you mention it indirectly a few times, is that you should make a separate paragraph where you should emphasize the importance of map layout design in poly counts before mapping takes place.

I didnt want to make any rules. This article intended to help mappers to use their own brain to find and fix existing problems and avoid potential ones. So I think its enough what is said about it in "1. Architecture, Vis block" part. Otherwise it would end up in huge amount of similar examples, which I dont find good for this article. Anyway thank you for this feedback.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.