Remastering old KZ movies

Started by faker mapper
06/02/2011 23:19
Page 1 of 1
faker mapper06/02/2011 23:19(edited 06/02/2011 23:26)

Hey guys,

I thought about this for quite a while and tried different approaches, anyway, this is the first result I'm kind of satisfied with.

Please let me know what you think do think about the idea/outcome so far.

I'll try different settings/filters on color correction/sharpness and other filters too (I might be posting another movie within the next days/week).

Here we go with the example of drake jumps 4 austria, an oldschool jump movie from 2004.

Original Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mmfQ-eJVbY


Remastered @ 720p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AITetL9ES-Y


This way I could remaster most of the older KZ movies and reupload them to XJ's youtube/own3d.tv channel.

Some of them still have the old 4:3 aspect ratio and/or weird addition boarders that came from the old and bad wmv codec.

What do you think?

I personally think it doesn't look much better, but it looks a BIT better, which is pretty amazing regarding the fact that the DSP program did re-calculate all pictures and changed aspect ration AND heighten the resoulation at the same time.

Anyway, waiting for some feedback, positive or negative one :)

Regards,
F

Kidzor07/02/2011 05:03

[blockquote]personally think it doesn't look much better, but it looks a BIT better,[/blockquote]

+1

So it's not necessary to remaster all old kz movies, its up to you.
The idea is not that bad, i really don't know about making movies, and stuff like this, but if you enjoy doing it, go ahead.

A3TIUS08/02/2011 18:51

Awesome work there :up:
I'd really love o see all the old classic moves retouched and uploaded so that people can revive the old-school feel....

JekkT09/02/2011 20:02

Originally posted by A3TIUS
Awesome work there :up:
I'd really love o see all the old classic moves retouched and uploaded so that people can revive the old-school feel....


So, let me get this straight. You want to revive the OLD-SCHOOL feel by watching REMASTERED videos? Oh, well. I don't think thats necessary at all. I enjoy watching the original files way more than watching the remastered example there.

prad10/02/2011 11:34(edited 10/02/2011 11:35)

Originally posted by JekkT
So, let me get this straight. You want to revive the OLD-SCHOOL feel by watching REMASTERED videos?
Oh, well. I don't think thats necessary at all. I enjoy watching the original files way more than watching the remastered example there.



Oh, well. I think thats necessary.
Why?
For a minute forget about me and you or even about the contemporaray people of our times.

Newcomers to come in the site in the near future would always like to devour upon high clarity high editing stuffs, so the feeling with which they would enjoy a high adrenaline movie like Just N1k1t1Ch^ made in 2010 would "probably" wouldn't be the same with which they would probabaly feel the essence of a legendary movie like Potatismos made in 2006 (until they come to know about the contribution of the Legends).

A bit more clearer high pixel remastered edition would produce a visual facelift of their current state of affairs, and thinking logically I dont think to be honest there's any underlying harm in that decision. A little more clarity on a movie wouldn't harm anybody, instead it would be convincing for the the viewer.

Anyway I dont wanna drag this conversation in a wrong direction so that it appears misleading to a third person reading this.
What you said is ur opinion, what I said is mine.

ONTOP: keep working faker, its an appreciable decision.



JekkT10/02/2011 14:18

What you said doesn't make any sense to me. Ofcourse people new to the scene would enjoy such old movie then even more, but still the remastering doesn't great such a good quality. Also I wouldn't like my movies to be remastered because it's simply not the intention of the creator. The movie has been released like that, and so it should remain. My opinion.

prad11/02/2011 13:02

I think the reediting/remastering is worth it because everybody want their stuff to be presented in more clarity; and to have less elements of visual distortion.

These days we have Huffyuv / Legion codecs, we've geeked C4D / AAE and what not to spice our things up.
Back in 2004, they DIDN'T have the choice.

(and furthermore its not that somebody is dropping down the nuke and reformatting the whole datastructure, they would be just bit re-processed to give a slighty higher clarity)


JekkT11/02/2011 16:46

As far as I see it the quality increases like 3% and the resolution will be stretched. I just can't like that idea.

A3TIUS11/02/2011 17:24

[blockquote]I'd really love to see all the old classic moves retouched and uploaded so that people can revive the old-school feel....[/blockquote]

A lil bit of correction there...

I'd really love to see all the old classic moves retouched and uploaded so that some people can revive the old-school feel in a somewhat new school manner....

nobody^11/02/2011 18:13(edited 11/02/2011 18:15)

I don't see the point of remastering the oldsql movies. I mean the movies were made back in 2006 and they should look like they're used to. They are just legendary, and the newcomers would probably like to see how the stuff looked like back there.
If they want some of the "new school feeling" they could easily watch some movies from 2010-2011, no need to change the very beginning of all this.
Just an opinion.

Punk^11/02/2011 21:48

The only thing being updated here, is the look. The movies look exactly like they did then, except they're not so hard on the eyes.

I like this and it would definitely make legendary movies like potatismos even more legendary.

JekkT11/02/2011 21:52

Originally posted by Punk^
The only thing being updated here, is the look. The movies look exactly like they did then, except they're not so hard on the eyes.

I like this and it would definitely make legendary movies like potatismos even more legendary.


I can consider a stretched resolution either as hard on the eyes than an original one.

nucLeaR12/02/2011 00:27

Nope, I don't think so.

Remastering would only destroy the quality which is already poor for old movies.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.