Map in construction.
I just thought of a really cool map concept :
The CT would start in an empty room. White texture. A big square. The start timer, under the form of a red floating square in the middle of the room attracts him. He decides to press it..
Suddently, the walls around him start to split up into multiple smaller squares that would just move very slowly towards the red floating square...
Without any warning, those blocks stop moving and a clear path is shown : CT decides to climb on those mysterious little blocks and notices a hallway on top of the room. He cannot wait to see what it hides... Yet he doesn't seem to progress. He looks down and noticed there are no more blocks for him to reach the top. He jumps around on the final white blocks, confused.
As he executes a fast bhop combo on all of the blocks on top, a "ding" noise breaks the silence. He looks down and finds a new red button to press, and a hole on the start timer. It looks like the red square is throwing him a piece of its body. He carefully watched the small red button's ascension until it stops in the middle of the final white blocks.
How can he press it without falling ? A strafe jump would be risky... Yet it's the only option he has. He jumps and very quickly presses the button and luckily lands back on the last blocks.. What did it do ? New blocks appeared, opening a path the the mysterious hallway. That was confusing... (kindof)
As he finishes climbing the few squares that appeared before him a second ago, he notices a door at the end of this hallway. As he walks forward, he notices the white texture starts to look different : the walls, floor and ceiling form textured blocks slowly as he progresses. "The world down there must be bugged", CT thinks. T red squared door, with a hole in the middle is now in front of him. What is on the other side ? CT couldn't tell.
By jumping into the strange hole in the middle of the red door, CT sees a wide, laboratorish testing room, shaped as a cube, again ! CT is disappointed... But this room is not the same as the white strange hole he spawned in. He sees four different platforms around the room. Glad not to see more cubes, CT moves happily inside.
As he falls inside, he notices another red cube in the middle of the room and knows by experience he is supposed to press E near it. So he does.
Textured blocks come off the platorms' supports, making CT think they would fall. As time goes by, all the solid looking supports are forming two paths now : each one of them requires stepping on two platforms at least to climb up. CT chooses the right (or left) way and starts hopping. By stepping on the innocent looking, floating first platform, it seems to feel his weight and it drops a few units down. Surprised, CT moves on very quickly on the second platform, where he expects to see a button or anything similar...
Nothing. Just like the previous platform, it drops down. Confused, CT doesn't notice time is ticking and suddently, both platforms take their original place...
CT thinks... Maybe the second path isn't just a coincidence... As he falls down, he steps on both platforms again and climbs the second way with more confidence and speed, ignoring the floating platforms' movement. As he steps on the fourth platform in a short time laps, a door opens on the wall, between the two last platforms, revealing another empty looking room...
Textured or not, time will tell, to be continued, I have stuff to do now, maybe i will draw the map i imagine on paint / paper...
First of all, I want to say GREAT JOB, zgooh, for the effort.
Ontopic: I would definitely love playing such map because it has an idea in it. It sounds quite confusing but I would love to try it.
I am not a mapper and I haven't got a clue of map making, but if I was, I would give this a go.
Once again, remarkable work there, zgooh.
Looking forward for some mappers' replies! :)
That would be a good map , are you think about name , or something like this :D i was need http://translate.google.com/# for something :D
i wait for a draws . cool thread ! And good job for writing
Oh ! The title doesn't mean i'm making it, it's just the theme : a map that the player builds
Can somebody translate in german via PM?
That sounds very interesting for me...
I don't get it
I would say it's again a single player map. Some things might be hard to make (moving buttons, for example), everything else looks possible (so far).
I didn't quite get those platform things. As I imagine them, there are 4 platforms, each one has different height from the ground (assuming that there is a ground and the red button is on it), as you press the button, blocks that were "holding" those platforms (like pillars or something), move out so you can jump on them. As a result, platform seems to be floating (not very realistic here). As you jump on hte platform (by jumping on those pillars/whatever first), it moves down a bit. Not very fast though so you can quickly jump further to next pillars that came out from second platform. And so on until the 4th. Am I right?
Textures... hmm, everything white is a pain to the eye. I imagine those rooms somewhat portal-style. When those cubes/walls move, there is that red light behind them and so on. Other possibility is that a solid cube comes out of the wall, it's a matter of design and which one fits better to the main theme.
Question:
At the first room, does those blocks which came out first go back into walls or does they stay? This could be crucial if you want to make this map public-server compactible.
Waiting for more. As far as I have imagined it, it's a secret underground laboratory (just like portal).
It sure sounds interesting. But why on earth did you present ur idea in the form of a story? I bet the map isn't as confusing as ur presentation. Sure it's something that gives it a little spice, but this kind of things should be done clearly so that everyone can understand them.
Big + for the idea though, I would love jumping a map like this. :)
Please log in to post replies.