Make grass

Started by plowed
15/08/2011 23:38
Page 1 of 1
plowed15/08/2011 23:38

Ive saw that method with 2 grass textures but I dont know how to set the entity right.
http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/2617/i353jid8_jpg.htm

1. the blocks are solid I want it non-solid I already set func_wall and func_illusionary with texture mode and so one but it dont work.

2. It looks ugly and transparent ^^. The Edge are visible and dont know how to remove it

Any advice for that or tips how to make good looking grass or "bushs" ?

greetz

unBreakS15/08/2011 23:48

i guess you have wrong render mode or smth ..

2. Have you tried a different texture? That specific texture have always looked weird to me. Anyway, just clip 1 unit from the top and the edge should be gone. Either that or you need to modify the texture.

DragonClaw16/08/2011 06:16(edited 16/08/2011 06:20)

Yes, the "fit"option always leaves edges so after you've adjusted the texture, make the brush one unit smaller. Also, apply {blue texture on each face apart from the sides, where you want the grass to be. And finally - I don't like using this way of making grass, firstly, because it's uglier than using a model and secondly, because each grass adds at least 12 polygons. If both sides are bound in the same function polys grow to about 30, and depending on the position, they can be even more.

FLasH ^^ mapper16/08/2011 08:45

Its not better to use models?

remake16/08/2011 11:44

True, models look a lot better.

DragonClaw16/08/2011 11:49

When I was making one of my de_ maps I was using such brush grasses. Then in the end I decided to put some models on their place and the faces became about 1000 less. Of course, if u put some extremely high-poly models it would be worse, but there are models made out of less polygons than a brush one would have.

hm^ mapper VIP22/08/2011 12:38

This ugly and transparent design comes from wrong settings plowed.

Blue background:
func_ilusionary / Solid / 255

Black background:
func_ilusionary / Additive / 255

Or models/sprites like Flash said.
But test them, maybe they create big shortcuts!

hf

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.