Texture Doesn't Fit

Started by Puppetmaster
26/12/2011 03:03
Page 1 of 1
Puppetmaster26/12/2011 03:03(edited 26/12/2011 03:06)

Hey XJ.
I used to make CS maps a few years ago and not so long ago I decided to give it a try again.
This might be a stupid question, but I've never really grasped the concept of this.
I've created a texture pack for a bhop map I'm working on, but my 32x32 textures don't seem to fit the 32x32 blocks (same goes for other sizes). If I multiply the scales by 0.10 and adjust the X and Y it seems to solve the problem, but this is really not the optimal choice when I've got loads of brushes/more advanced brushwork.
I'm thinking it might be related to the format of the original images. What do you think?

(This also occurs to one of my sprites, which I can't really scale in the editor AFAIK)

Images:
Link

I'd also like to know if I can make the sprite transparent but not additive?

spr1n mapper26/12/2011 11:27

zoom your image and compare to how it looks up close in CS. see the difference? Pixels are smoothed giving better looks even with big scale rate.

Pixels on borders are smoothed as well (because all textures repeat themselves to fit brush faces). So if you have red color on one side, and blue on the other - you will get f***ed up color on both edges (because of that smoothing).

You should use seamless textures (that have matching pattern and color on borders, so texture can repeat itself smoothly). Make a bigger proper texture instead of making puzzles of smaller textures!

Same thing with sprites, last units on border should be black so there is no color leaking to the other side (hi smoothing).

Sprites/entities can have textures with transparent background with option "Render Mode: Solid - no light". Background color must be blue in this case. http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?289061

Puppetmaster26/12/2011 12:49

Thanks for the neat explanation, spr1n.
The main reason the textures are "puzzle pieces" is that they're ripped from another game and in the map there's going to be a lot of different fades between dirt, sand, grass and mud. I figured this would be possible since in de_dust2 (for example) there's a normal wall + same wall with graffiti on it. (might be they've just changed the texture of the small part of the wall that actually is different)

As for the sprite, I already tried using a blue background without luck, but at the time I was using a 221-colour palette, which might explain the problem. I'll look into it later, thank you. :)

spr1n mapper26/12/2011 13:07(edited 26/12/2011 13:11)

well then you should try to make your textures seamless and fit with others, just like it is on the same de_dust2.
Auto Seamer is an easy tool to make textures seamless. Should be poss in PS, but im not familiar with that.

and blue means RGB 0-0-255

Puppetmaster26/12/2011 14:39

That's right, but the textures fit each other, the problem is that each texture has two different "themes".

[grass|dirt] fits [dirt|mud] but because mud is shown in between dirt and dirt and grass is shown in between as well they don't seem to fit (that is unless I scale them a tiny bit)
[grass|dirt]grass|mud[dirt|mud] is what I end up with (this could probably be illustrated a lot better :D)

spr1n mapper26/12/2011 15:50

extend and/or mirror texture...

[dirt|grass|grass|dirt] + [dirt|mud|mud|dirt] = win

Puppetmaster26/12/2011 17:00

I'll see what I can do, thank you :)

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.