low fps?

Started by cC|Nikolaa
31/05/2012 14:57
Page 1 of 1
cC|Nikolaa31/05/2012 14:57

My machine is:

Q9300 @ 3ghz
HD4870 1gb
4gb ddr2 @ 1066mhz

I don't think the rest is important.

I used to have const 99fps, year+ ago, but now, I have 99fps and suddenly it drops to 50 on a 8player dust2 server, which shouldn't happen. While I'm playing there're only winamp and chrome running, nothing that big.

I'm using the latest drivers - catalyst 12.3
I've done the gldrv opengl "hax", replacing it with ATi's opengl.dll, still have those drops.

Any ideas?

jusuuh31/05/2012 17:50

I have to ask, as an owner of the same card, does the opengl hack affect in CS ATI/AMD GPU bugs, like to permanent low fps on specific maps?

About your problem, if it's a pretty clean install of win&cs, as you I would try testing the game with one core only. Just set hl.exe's affinity to Core 0 (=core #1) only. HL-engine uses only one core but it's in problems with multicore CPUs, if some of the cores happen to underperformance. I had that problem on my Q6600 before.

cC|Nikolaa01/06/2012 00:06

I think I found what was causing that.

In the Catalyst Control Center there's Gaming->3D Application Settings.

First of all, I, for some reason, hadn't set the vertical refresh (a.k.a. sync) always off.

Afterwards, I found out that Mipmap Detail Level is also affecting my fps (as it says, on perfmormance you get best performance).

So vertical sync is off, mimap detail level is on permormanec and I have const fps

---

I didn't understand your question about the hax? What do you mean to permanent low fps? When I had my older computer, it was really hard to get decent fps, but replacing the original dll with ATI's it helped me raise it by 10-15% and it got smoother and better to play (IMO). Never done that in any other game.

cC|Nikolaa01/06/2012 00:18

Okey, now that is weird.

It was fixed for around 5 minutes and now, I get drops to 50 fps again..
I really don't understand. If someone has an idea - please shoot

propanelj record holder01/06/2012 03:51

try running cs on another core, intead of core0 try 1-2 or something, that helped my fps when my old cpu fucked up

cC|Nikolaa04/06/2012 10:14

Changing the core is a temporary solution.. It gets ok for about 5-6 minutes, then I have fps drops again. If I change to another core, it gets better for another 5-6 minutes..

KarLi mapper04/06/2012 11:29

maybe the fix u doing its not permanently u must find way to fix through graphics card or cs configs xD

propanelj record holder04/06/2012 13:53

creating a default cfg i also thought helped me a little but that was only temporary for a few days

IceVip04/06/2012 14:32

I don't know if I'm late and you've already fixed it but ill just say that everything after Catalyst 12.1 got fucked up really bad not only for me, 12.2 and up crash pretty often in firefox and some games, maybe it may have something to do with your cs problem too but if your gonna downgrade to 12.1 or 11.12 use driver cleaner while in safe mode, to be sure that you'll remove every shit that's left from those shitty drivers.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.