Symbolism / Satanic temple

Started by Mathzz
04/08/2012 16:49
Page 1 of 1
Mathzz04/08/2012 16:49

Hi guys. I just found a cool article that had bunch of weird symbols used on ancient rituals such as satanic stuff. (I am not completely sure this is it, since I am not much informed about how or what they used as symbols. But bear with me guys, because I think these are at least some of them).

Anyways, here is the article with pictures, such as structures and so on. The topic is symbolism / satanic stuff, not completely sure once again, but it caught my interest.

Link: http://www.mormonoutreach.org/pagan_and_occult_symbols.php

The map would probably be best to start outside the temple, so you could go around and see the structure of the temple. Once you go inside you will come inside a horror place. Perhaps with some dark red colors. Would fit the theme, and also red is generally a very scary color. But that is just my personal opinion, doesn't exactly need to be that.

Difficulty on the map would be somewhere around hard to extreme, because that probably fits the atmosphere best.

I will probably update the thread with more articles if I find some, also my English right now is not the best.

dyna04/08/2012 16:52

..

Mathzz04/08/2012 17:05

Originally posted by dynamiteN
..


I don't exactly understand what you meant by that, but I am assuming you were "hinting" me that it was somewhat bad idea? Personally I would love to play a different theme for once. We now have like tons of Egypt themed maps filling the kz world, and they were good at first, but now it's kind of overused. This could you know, bring up some different horror for the maps, especially if it was somewhat realistic with some crazy symbolism. The fear of playing it alone, with constant crazy hard jumps.

But anyways, it was just a suggestion, no need to start with pointing fingers ;-)

KarLi mapper05/08/2012 06:57

well the only thing i can tell u is that is gonna be like other temples , just satanic one with different textures , and idk sounds or whatever XD so lights dark and red or something didu started it?

beau05/08/2012 07:45

Hey, you should research the bohemian grove you'll be surprised with what you'll find!

Tetriss05/08/2012 08:25

I presume here is already such a map, with theme focused on satanism. Idk it's name, I am not even sure if it is official (but I think it is). The map's difficulty is sth like easy-advanced. So you should definitely take a look at it, since it is really well-made.

Balcer05/08/2012 10:05

kz_kzsca_hell

Mathzz05/08/2012 14:28(edited 05/08/2012 14:58)

Originally posted by beau
Hey, you should research the bohemian grove you'll be surprised with what you'll find!


I was very into illuminati and the new world order like 1-2 years ago. It was quite interesting, and I am assuming the bohemian grove is somewhat connected to the whole conspiracy about the illuminati & NWO?

But yeah that was not the point here. I know there are some maps that has the satanism theme, such as kzsca_hell. Though the map is really not that hard, but it is quite detailed. If there was some scary shit map with lots of extreme jumps I can assure it would bring goosebumps and give you the creeps. Once again, just a suggestion guys. :-)

ps: I could never pull something like that off, I am nowhere that creative when it comes to mapping. That's why I am making this suggestion to the forums, for experienced mappers to maybe get some motivation to make this happen. All though, it doesn't necessarily need to be satanism theme, it could be anything. As long as you have imagination to build a true horror map (I would say for a horror map the jumps would be best if they were hard/extreme).
But as I said, the theme is very optional, as long as the structure and the 'creepy' atmosphere is there.

For me personally any map that has some known symbolism put on the map gives me the creeps. Such as the Egypt themed maps for example. Especially if you are familiar with the conspiracy theories. Even if you are a non-believer it could still trigger some nerves while playing such maps.
That feeling when you are stuck on a room that has some disturbing symbols and you keep on failing the jumps, you will feel the pressure and the urge to leave the room as fast as you can and to never wanting to return. As if there was something in the room with you, watching every step you take. Wanting you to keep on failing..
That's how I imagine a very hard/extreme horror map. Also that's where the symbolism comes in handy, such creepy designs could bring the atmosphere of being stuck on a forsaken temple you are desperately trying to leave.

propanelj record holder05/08/2012 16:00(edited 05/08/2012 16:03)

quite an interesting idea, I love this illuminati and satanic stuff, but i hardly believe you can make a kz map that really creeps you out, well, i guess It's possible that people will think It's a little creepy/disturbing and some might just get offended by this(no idea what more religious people think of this)
And making a so creepy map that you want to leave the room asap is going to be very hard, only games I've seen that managed too give that kind of feeling would be Amnesia, Anna and the Fatal Frame games, and since there is nothing too really scare you out in CS It's probably hard, since you know there aren't gonna be monsters and stuff jumping in your face all of the sudden, but if it would be possible to create these like models(don't know anything about mapping so no idea what its called) such as person that is crucified and is moving slightly in pain that is hanging on the wall for example and with these pentagrams covering the map + adding creepy sounds to the map could be something that could scare players the first times playing the map and of course there cannot be much lightning in the map, makes it feel much darker, maybe light coming through a hole in the roof or candles lighting the map, etc. There are so many things you can try doing but if it will work out good is the question

Mathzz05/08/2012 19:49(edited 05/08/2012 20:10)

Originally posted by proppan
quite an interesting idea, I love this illuminati and satanic stuff, but i hardly believe you can make a kz map that really creeps you out, well, i guess It's possible that people will think It's a little creepy/disturbing and some might just get offended by this(no idea what more religious people think of this)
And making a so creepy map that you want to leave the room asap is going to be very hard, only games I've seen that managed too give that kind of feeling would be Amnesia, Anna and the Fatal Frame games, and since there is nothing too really scare you out in CS It's probably hard, since you know there aren't gonna be monsters and stuff jumping in your face all of the sudden, but if it would be possible to create these like models(don't know anything about mapping so no idea what its called) such as person that is crucified and is moving slightly in pain that is hanging on the wall for example and with these pentagrams covering the map + adding creepy sounds to the map could be something that could scare players the first times playing the map and of course there cannot be much lightning in the map, makes it feel much darker, maybe light coming through a hole in the roof or candles lighting the map, etc. There are so many things you can try doing but if it will work out good is the question


You did make some good points, but I did not think of making things pop up on the screen, because that can be quite annoying when recording demos. Sure it will probably scare the heck out of you the first time you play it, but it will eventually just be in the way and annoy the players. Especially if the map was very hard, and required a lot of restarts.
It doesn't require more than a creepy atmosphere and making the map look very disturbing, such as using symbols all around the map, small chambers that gives you the claustrophobia feeling. Perhaps also colorless lights.
As long as the atmosphere in the map is disturbing enough, I am sure it will trigger you mentally. Since it's all up in the head, fear of spotting something in the dark, fear of some one behind you, fear of some one is watching you. Yeah you name it. It's all about the psychological fear, doesn't necessarily need to make things pop up all of the sudden.

Sounds are of course a must, but it needs to be exactly on the limit. Not too many sounds, no "BOO", ''screams'' or "scary laughs", because that will be just pathetic. Squeaky doors, woods and any similar sounds would fit. I also honestly think that echo, water dripping and so on would be helpful on the scare part. There are many kind of sounds the mappers could use, so it just needs to be creative with it.

Also, some small ideas:

- Make a light shut off when player walks on a specific invisible brush (triggers to make the light shut off or some other effect).
- Flickering lights (not too many though, one is probably more than enough)
- Fog (Not to thick that it will make the whole map look horrible, but it will give the dark shade of corners which will boost up the atmosphere)
- If possible, make some dust particles fly freely around too (maybe not possible, but it would look fantastic)
- Fades on lights also looks good.

As for the religious people you fear might get offended. I honestly doubt people will care, unless they are hardcore religious, but then the question is: Why are they playing the game to begin with? :-)





nobody^10/08/2012 10:32(edited 10/08/2012 10:34)

Great ideas as always Mathzz. I've notice your potential to be different, a huge gj for that.

Maybe you can add flames inside the temple. I love maps where you walk and suddenly the ground underneath your feet collapse and you get in a brand new place. That dark room could be decorated with symbols, torches and scary sounds.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.