Switching to win7; tips

Started by nobody^
27/08/2012 14:30
Page 1 of 1
nobody^27/08/2012 14:30(edited 27/08/2012 14:34)

Hey there,

So yep, I'm switching to win7 these days so I need to ask you if there are any disadvantages.
I've been using XP til now.

Here are the parameters of my PC:

AMD Athlon 2.8 Ghz/ single core -.-
nVidia GeForce 7050 512mb
2gb ram

If there is anything I am missing, please make sure to tell me.

Best Regards,
N
:up:

PS:
I probably wont run anything much 'heavier' than steam.

Balcer27/08/2012 14:43

prepare for another mouse sensitivity

kaa27/08/2012 14:48

Yea, what Balcer just said.... mouse behaves completly differently in Win7 than it does in XP. This was basically the main reason I had to switch back to XP on my new computer.

I heard something that its impossible to switch off mouse acceleration completely like u can do in XP with mousefixes, although some people get used to it. Some use programs like rinput, for example Nukk does. And it would be nice if he posts here cause his mouse movements looks pretty much fine despite of him having Win7.

So I think it depends on particular computer and person, but I just could not get used to it :\

plowed27/08/2012 15:03

The only reason for me for switching to xp was my mouse, mostly because the accelration in win7 is really annoying and programs that fix it like rInput really sucks.

But in the other hand the win7 has many other advantages like the sound management, I mean you can set the sound volume for specific programs.



ivansky27/08/2012 15:09

lol cplmousefix completely turns it off for me on my laptop which i use with windows 7 since 3 years now,if your acceleration is on when using cpl mouse fix then you do something wrong!

movement in 7 is the same as in xp

in my opinion you shouldn't switch to 7,your CPU is single core and its 2.8 same as me,only difference from me and you is ram and graphics (i got 1 ram and ati 512) and windows 7 sucks if you dont have dual cpu pc.

my advice : stick to xp until its impossible to use it

Switch to windows 7. I didn't notice anything different with my mouse and have never used any sort of software to change it.

scmb27/08/2012 16:06

give up

kaa27/08/2012 16:25(edited 27/08/2012 16:27)

Originally posted by scmb
give up

usefull advice, good job wasting time typing it.

Originally posted by ivansky
lol cplmousefix completely turns it off for me on my laptop which i use with windows 7 since 3 years now,if your acceleration is on when using cpl mouse fix then you do something wrong!

movement in 7 is the same as in xp

most likely thats because you have single core cpu, thus having 32bit OS.

Afaik problem with acceleration only occures on multicore processors and 64bit OS.

IceVip27/08/2012 16:45(edited 27/08/2012 16:46)

I Wonder who will actually give a fuck about sens when he'll play cs at 50-90 fps.

Tetriss27/08/2012 16:56

Ye, kinda suicide switching to win7. IceVip's right man.

CamelCloudrecord holder27/08/2012 18:22(edited 27/08/2012 18:24)

Windows 7 is working perfectly for me, no mouse acceleration when I'm using the launch options. You won't have too much ram for other stuff since the OS itself uses 2 GB of ram to run, I think. Your CPU and GPU aren't that good either, you're probably gonna have to use D3D, 16-bit coloring, and some other fixes for FPS if you want to have a constant 100 FPS.

All in all, there are no real disadvantages of getting Windows 7, only advantages - if your hardware is good enough.

propanelj record holder27/08/2012 18:46

I have no "random acceleration" with my current windows, I used to have it about 1½ years ago but haven't happened anymore since then, just using the launch options with cheesefix or cplmousefix
But im thinking about installing XP on one of my HDDs (got 3 if i include the laptop) too see the difference, but w7 is ofc better for gaming but for a less powerful computer it might run quite slow, so then it might be better to run XP or consider a pc upgrade such as RAM and atleast a dualcore CPU, the GPU shouldn't be such a big deal if you only play cs

Nannou27/08/2012 20:57(edited 27/08/2012 20:59)

I can't understand switch to win7 from xp w/ this low hardware, or if need directX 10-11.
And yeas, its all about mouse acceleration.

ivansky27/08/2012 21:03

Originally posted by kaa
Originally posted by scmb
give up

usefull advice, good job wasting time typing it.

Originally posted by ivansky
lol cplmousefix completely turns it off for me on my laptop which i use with windows 7 since 3 years now,if your acceleration is on when using cpl mouse fix then you do something wrong!

movement in 7 is the same as in xp

most likely thats because you have single core cpu, thus having 32bit OS.

Afaik problem with acceleration only occures on multicore processors and 64bit OS.


my laptop has dual cpu intel core i3,4 gigs ddr3 ram and my win is 64 bit yeah never had accel with cplmousefix

nobody^27/08/2012 21:06

Judging by those parameters I mentioned, do you think it'll run fine? Ofc they can't 100% guarantee anything but still.

theddy27/08/2012 21:08

I got this weird mouse acceleration too, and cant find a good fix.Thats the only reason why i hate win7.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.