Weird sprite behaviour

Started by Igge
05/11/2012 23:24
Page 1 of 1
Igge05/11/2012 23:24

Hi guys,

I'm making a river area in a map and want to put some seaweed sprites in the water and on land parts to make it look better and more realistic. Since I plan to make quite a big map with potentially a lot of water I decided to use func_illusionary instead of func_water as suggested in fps saving tutorials. Here I run into a problem which results in a very ugly look. If I look at the water through the sprite the transparent sprite parts doesn't show water but instead the river ground or whatever there is to show.

Here's a picture that describes my problem: LINK

Are there any way to solve this? And by solve I mean to use env_sprite in func_illusionary water without this nasty effect.

I haven't tried but I guess I run into the same problem if I create my own seaweeds using '{' textures tied to func_illusionary entities.

If I can't make it work I guess I have to stick to models. Being a less experienced mapper I don't really know the relation between model count and performance. Would a lot of seaweed models in the water affect my fps significantly?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks in advance!

KarLi mapper06/11/2012 03:54(edited 06/11/2012 03:55)

Well i dont think the seaweed models will effect your fps significantly so do it .

zengal mapper06/11/2012 22:11(edited 06/11/2012 22:12)

Try playing with the seaweed rendering options. It should help

Igge06/11/2012 23:50

@KarLi
I played around with seaweed models a bit. They just increase the e-polys far too much. I decorated the river with a fair amount of suitable models, not too many, not too few. When running the map part, the amount of e-polys rendered was approximately 15000 throughout the map part which is just a sick amount of e-polys :P

@zengal
Will try different rendering options for the seaweed sprites. Updating with results tomorrow.

Igge07/11/2012 01:17

Different rendering options for the sprites didn't work either. According to the software wiki it's not a good idea to change the default rendering option for sprites.
Maybe you were pointing at rendering options for transparency supported textures zengal. To my big surprise this worked perfectly. It seems like when I look through a custom made seaweed tied to the func_illusionary entity I can actually see the water level. LINK

(Render an env_sprite as a solid with no light achieves the same proper see through effect but fails horribly to other things)

KarLi mapper11/11/2012 02:53

make it func_illusionary , render mode , texture and thats it

byob mapper11/11/2012 07:12

take the seaweed texture and apply it to a func_illusionary in the form of a cross +. this makes it look 3D-like and visible from all directions. render it as solid or texture if you want transparency.

having the seaweed as a sprite would make it look flat if you'd be looking at it from above which would be more ugly than your current issue

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.