Best way to Find Leaks?
Hello there
i want to know the best way to find leaks in map
cus its annoying when u dont know how to find hem and u have to delete and redo or use ur backup and remake.
i dont understand with coordinates how ? on which window? x/y /y/z camera? how ? i dont get it...
and with the .pts files which get generated i load them ... then i get those lines but i dont understand the directions etc to the leak
please someone help me i think thats the only problem i have right now with hammer editor.
ty
the way to do it if you don't undertand the pointfile is:
1) make a huge solid brush to cover half your map
2) compile
3) if leak not fixed the leak is on the other half of your map
4) if leak fixed it's in this half of map so you make the brush smaller and smaller to see when the leak will appear
byob's suggestion is very good for narrowing the area you have to search in, when you have a big map and the pointfile line is big and messy.
The line starts from a random entity and ends in the leak hole. The start color is blue and the end is red. So you should look in the area where the line is the purest red, and you will find your leak.
thanks alot :)
Try to make that big brush without touching edges, or you could you LeakMarker , its a great program , but sometimes shows wrong places.
Use the .lin file as pointfile instead of the .pts. The .pts just makes it extremely messy. What I usually do is after I've used the .lin file I search around the map until I find certain areas where the lines are really red. That way I know I'm close to the end, and then I just start going one way (it's 50/50 chance) and either you'll notice that it starts getting lighter or you'll reach the destination of where you leak is. (It goes from the outside of your map to your inside) and there you have the leak, even tho there might not be an obvious hole. This could be from the fact that you've func_wall'd the wall/item that the pointfile line goes through.
Using this method you wont have to follow the line from the very start, which can be quite annoying. Frankly, with this method, I tend to find the leak within a minute or two - and remember if it doesn't enter the map itself it might be due to a model/sprite being outside of the map.
if you have many rooms just place a point entity in everyroom.
compile, read the logs which entity is near.
go to that entity in hammer and check the edges of those rooms.
Please log in to post replies.