Puzzle map (fresh ideas)
Hello everyone.
So, I was thinking of new and creative ways to make future kz maps, when I suddenly came up with the idea to use hostages as a part of the whole map journey.
If you have played Ocarina of Time, you will then understand what I mean. There is a temple called Fire Temple, where you need to find and free the Gorons.
So the idea is basically the same, find and rescue the hostages (they should be behind locked doors with timers).
Then use them to push on top of a button (func_door that slides down like a bhop block) that triggers a door to open and you can go to the next stage. The door should close again if no one is standing on top of it.
Here is a detailed picture I made with paint for those who didn't quite understand the idea:
http://oi47.tinypic.com/3h8pv.jpg
I am not 100% certain that it's possible to make in VHE, but damn if it is, then it would be amazing.
If the button thing is not possible to make in VHE, you could still use the same idea with the hostages. You rescue them behind locked doors/cells and use them to reach blocks you normally wouldn't be able to without. Maybe even use them to make a path and jump on their head etc.
Ps: Don't even think about multiplayer, because it wouldn't work then. Some douche could easily kill a hostage just to screw the map.
So what do you think?
Â
Neat idea and its possible to build but it wont work in multiplayer. Such things only work in kzmod *caugh* :P
every idea for kz community is a piece of "nice"
and its always possible to do something u really want to build , u just need to find your building / mapping way :)
gl :D
every reasonable (and possible) kreedz-related gameplay piece you can imagine can be made without hostages (and it'd be easier and better way to make it). and your example is no exception ;)
Originally posted by FragGyverNeat idea and its possible to build but it wont work in multiplayer. Such things only work in kzmod *caugh* :P
Oh wow, that's really sweet that it's possible to make. Imagine a zelda themed temple with these kind of puzzles as well. Oh man, one can only dream :-D
and yeah, of course MP won't function with these kind of maps, I stated that on my post already.
Qui: I didn't quite understand what you meant there =/
why would you use a hostage on your map if you can get exactly same puzzle without it?
think of it this way: you want to simulate 2man climbing. but 2man climbing is all about boosts and time management. so you use hostage as moving block? func_wall_toggle/func_door/func_train etc. want to keep something pressed? just use timers(delays) or trigger_relay.
Ah I guess you're right about that, but I was thinking more about having a "mission" withing a climb map. Also hostages are very unpredictable, due to their moving. You really would need to think a perfect path for them so they would move to the target without failing.
For example, in the picture I talked a little about having a difficult way for the hostages, such as a very tiny road where they could perhaps fall down off. (Only if they are also affected by trigger_teleport and get teleported to the destination (reset), unless it's ground under and possible to get the hostage out of there.
The idea is to have more supportive roles to control other than yourself in the map. You have then more to worry about other than yourself. Not sure if you understood what I meant, but I think it would be very fresh and unique.
I also thought about a stage where you would need to get your hostage all the way up by triggering blocks to move up. You would need to go back and fourth and click buttons so it would go higher and reach another platform. Also move the hostage to that platform and repeat the progress until you both reach the top where there would be a button for the hostage or something, so you could go to the next stage.
(Just a example of the idea)
You could also use different movable objects to press the buttons. They could also be pushed by gravity or trigger_push.
I'm also a fan of puzzle maps but in multiplayer kz it's a bit questionable
@zengal: Yeah, I guess its possible, but I thought hostages made more sense. Because you can basically move them anywhere you want. Thus opening the door for new unique challenges (such as small, tiny and risky roads and platforms where they could fall down off. It would bring a new meaning for the "hard" maps, where you actually don't need to jump long distances but instead use your brain. For me, that sounds incredible fun (but yeah, of course it should have mixed bhops/climbing platforms too).
But once again, it wont work in multiplayer. Why even bring that up? I personally also feel that this idea fits best with a kz map, because it is afterall a climbing themed puzzle map. :-)
there is some potential indeed. but it needs skilled and motivated mapper and tons of work. feels like a dream ;)
Originally posted by quithere is some potential indeed. but it needs skilled and motivated mapper and tons of work. feels like a dream ;)
Yes, exactly. I hope we will see this become a reality in the future. I will try to make a short map with my ideas and publish it to this forum so people could explore it further and get motivated. :-D
This is a really good idea! I've actually tried to make a map with the same premise before, but the major pitfall I encountered is that the round automatically restarts once the round timer goes to zero, giving the message "hostages have not been rescued." The highest you can set mp_roundtime is 9 minutes, so the map will have to be beatable within 9 minutes. Unfortunately, I never found a way to fix this problem, and I don't think it can be fixed without making a plugin. Good luck with your map though if you decide to make it!
Originally posted by SilverNinjaThis is a really good idea! I've actually tried to make a map with the same premise before, but the major pitfall I encountered is that the round automatically restarts once the round timer goes to zero, giving the message "hostages have not been rescued." The highest you can set mp_roundtime is 9 minutes, so the map will have to be beatable within 9 minutes. Unfortunately, I never found a way to fix this problem, and I don't think it can be fixed without making a plugin. Good luck with your map though if you decide to make it!
Oh no, I totally forgot about the time. Aww :-(
I am not a mapper myself, I just play around with VHE. I just wanted to share my idea here, for others who have more experience to maybe find inspiration. :-)
Originally posted by MathzzOh no, I totally forgot about the time. Aww :-(
I am not a mapper myself, I just play around with VHE. I just wanted to share my idea here, for others who have more experience to maybe find inspiration. :-)
Yeah, the round time problem really is a shame, but I might still complete my map one day and just release it as a short map that can easily be beaten in 9 minutes. Also, it wouldn't be hard at all to make a plugin to extend the round time, but the problem is that it would be inconvenient that everybody who wanted to play the map would have to download a new plugin and edit their plugins.ini file.
Anyway, thanks for sharing your idea, and hopefully one day it will become a reality!
Perfect idea! The only problem is the public-thingy. But hey, it would interesting to single play that map, too. + wr's on it would be cool as well.
Mathzz you are one really creative dude!
Hope someone accomplishes this. :)
You would need to add the hostage model as a "normal" model and trigger animations to bypass the round time problem. Not sure how and if this work at goldsource. Havent mapped for 1.6 in ages, but it will definately need a lot of rather complicated entity work.
Originally posted by FragGyverYou would need to add the hostage model as a "normal" model and trigger animations to bypass the round time problem. Not sure how and if this work at goldsource. Havent mapped for 1.6 in ages, but it will definately need a lot of rather complicated entity work.
unlike in hl, event scripts and AI are unavailable in counter-strike.
Possible solution for this idea would be assigning Hostage model to func_train (-zhlt_usemodel). As side effect there will be no running animation and movement just by preset route(s). Also func_train do not reset by round restarts...
For me that sounds like this pyramid in
Alien vs. Predator.
Where´s also moving step by step.
I think that isn´t the biggest problem to map.
Use trigger_multiple to activate func_doors.
Please log in to post replies.