HL Speed runs

Started by TT.
01/05/2013 19:25
Page 1 of 1
TT.01/05/2013 19:25

http://speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?HalfLife_Hard_SS_3658

have you ever try that ?
What's your best time?

36min beatable?

propanelj record holder01/05/2013 20:12

I think there is a faster singel segment run on HL than that one, but segmented runs are alot faster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk4kX9WEcZA
and there are harder shortcuts for a ~24-25minute time

badgamer mapperrecord holder01/05/2013 20:35

They are working on, to do 22min segmented ofc :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peR7nkqhnvU

propanelj record holder01/05/2013 21:21

Originally posted by Beginner
They are working on, to do 22min segmented ofc :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peR7nkqhnvU

oh, sweet, cant wait to see it :P

ShoCkrecord holder Tournament #2 VIP01/05/2013 23:40(edited 01/05/2013 23:51)

Hey, I thought it might be worth to share the interview with Quadrazid I made for an unreleased weekly. It was made in December 2012 so it's not a fresh material anymore, but no way to let it get lost just like that. You'll most likely find this nickname new but he actually appears to be quite a significant figure within hl runners range. I suggest you go through those channels before reading the interview in order to get yourself into the subject.

My apologies to Quadrazid for not posting it earlier on the frontpage. It's so happened that weeklies had to be shut down.

YouTube 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/kzruns
YouTube 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/quadrazid?feature=results_main




ShoCk: So, hello ASDFguy, or better said 9mmhandgun? How are you doing?

Quadrazid: Hello, I'm very fine thank you and I'm atually quadrazid.


ShoCk: Nice to meet you man! Let's not hide facts, you're not very known to our community so it'd be great if you introduced yourself.

Quadrazid: What should I say. I'm a half-life runner that like to play the kz maps in a different way. To me it is quite silly to bhop around in a game that have the bhop restricted. So I like to show whats possible to do in the maps in HL. Although I admire the skill of some cs jumpers.


ShoCk: Ok, you like it to be fast. Could you explain how does the whole concept work? Maybe some special plugins/settings that might help you in any way?

Quadrazid: There isn't any special settings or tweaks. The game has sv_maxspeed 320 just as CS, but is not restricted to weapons, so the default speed is 320ups. And of course, the jump speed is not capped (until 2000 hehe).


ShoCk: You are the first guy to get me introduced to this aspect of jumping. How did you get an idea of running kz maps through original HL engine? Do you know other like-minded jumpers or are you alone in this big world?

Quadrazid: It started in the HL mod adrenaline gamer, which nowdays even have a special jumpserver with kz plugins. And I guess it's also a great variety to the normal Half-Life running which doesn't focus that much on the movement. In kz maps the movement is very intensive. There are a few guys from the AG community doing this stuff as well, but mostly only casual runs.


ShoCk: It looks like it takes a maximum of self-control, reaction, precision and it's clearly neccessarily to learn map to an inch. How much time does it take you to learn and "beat" the map? What's your best achievement?

Quadrazid: They are all tool-assisted. So they arent any achievemnts in that matter. They are only made for entertainment and to push the limits to see what is possible.


ShoCk: What do you mean by tool-assisted?

Quadrazid: Slowmotion and segments (saves)


ShoCk: Oh well, so that's the secret? You're time-scaling the run, recording the map by parts and combining them into one?

Quadrazid: Correct, multiple parts that is joined together in video software.


ShoCk: I knew it wasn't humanly to bhop like that haha. I'm sure you've seen a legendary wr run of a guy completing HL in less than half-an-hour? What do you think about it? Did you try yourself in this? If you're into it, do you know if it was recorded the same technique you use?

Quadrazid: Yes, of course. The 29:41 speedrun by Spider-Waffle from 2005. It's a great record and indeed legendary. It's not tool-assisted (although one can claim scripts to be tools, jump spam script, 180* turn script for gaussboost ect.) It is a normal so called "segmented speedrun". It is all played in realtime but is using saves. The 29:41 run is split into 190 segments, so the average segment length is only about 10 seconds long.
But it is many years old and many tricks and improvements have been found since then. I currently have the record for the "single-segment speedrun". Which is done in one part, just like the demos on xtremejumps. Clocking in at 32:55. So its only a few minutes slower than the 190 segments one which I am pretty proud of. I also have the records for segmented speedruns of the HL expansions Opposing Force & Blue Shift.
But I can let you know that Spider-Waffle and I have teamed up and are working on a new segmented run, which is estimated to clock in under 24 minutes. It's only the "kzruns" that are tool-assisted, thats why they have their own account on youtube.


ShoCk: That's amazing, you're surely a master of your business. I found it at least very similair to AXN mod, did you try it as well? What are the differences?

Quadrazid: I've only once tried AXN on a server. The differences is the slower ground acceleration, the decreased height after bhops, and the slowdown after landing from a jump that doesn’t exist in Half-Life. But once you got the speed up, it's pretty similar indeed.


ShoCk: So you didn't like it at all? I mean the AXN mode, it's speedy nontheless.

Quadrazid: It just feels so sticky when you're used to HL. Like glue under your feets.


ShoCk: Alright, did you maybe try other similar "games" like defrag? I personally enjoy it alot and find it similar to what you do.

Quadrazid: A little, yes. The CPM platform is actually similar to HL in some cases. The ultimate CJ got identical curve and speed egression as HL. So does wallstrafing. It's quite fun. Warsow's race mode is also pretty decent. Btw, CJ - Circle Jump, not Count Jump and LJ is referring to the LongJump module in HL.


ShoCk: So, I see you’re a jumper all along the board :) Well, as we're still here, on XJ, what is your opinion about it? I know you're not much interested in low-speeded runs but there is something that brought you in here, what was it? What do you like the most about us, if there is such?

Quadrazid: XJ is a really big and serious community compared to the HL running community which is only a few people (but slowly growing). My intension was to open the eyes for the kreeds players to HL. I wish that some of the great CS players would put their skill, time and dedication into Half-Life instead of custom CS maps. Cause I really think they have the potential to it. But there havent been any that took the bait. Maybe this interview will help a bit.


ShoCk: You've surely captured our attention :) Mind a few quickies before we come to an end?

Quadrazid: Shoot


ShoCk: Segmented or non-segmented run?

Quadrazid: Segmented


ShoCk: You beat my record on 8b1_hellinashop by 01:44 mins, do you feel ashamed about it?

Quadrazid: No :p


ShoCk: Fame or self-affirmation?

Quadrazid: Combo


ShoCk: Skiing or a parachute jump?

Quadrazid: Skiing


ShoCk: TV show or a movie?

Quadrazid: Show


ShoCk: Ok it was fun to interview you and so was my pleasure, got any words to tell the community to bring it to an successful end?

Quadrazid: Thank you for the interview. Last words: Never give up.

pruno moviemaker02/05/2013 02:06(edited 02/05/2013 02:11)

My best time is 37 mn with a shitty run (SS), so yes, 36 is beatable. And quad did 32 also.

Edit : since i was part of the hl22 team for a time, i can say that : cs axn and hl are VERY different, i mean, i'm pretty good imo, but when you're used to axn, it's really fucking hard to have correct moves on hl

surfrock02/05/2013 12:25

nice

Why does this guy on video have to dd every 2nd bhop.

propanelj record holder02/05/2013 14:27(edited 02/05/2013 14:29)

enjoyed reading that interview shock, why wasn't it released? would probably give HL speedrunning some more "action" if people would have read about it :/

I might myself try out some HL runs, got a growing interest for speedrunning something :D

BacoN05/05/2013 08:22

holding spacebar is hard. segmented runs are dumb aswell

pruno moviemaker05/05/2013 15:16(edited 05/05/2013 16:19)

Originally posted by kzru`ShoCk
Why does this guy on video have to dd every 2nd bhop.

Because he's using the current hl engine ON steam, which has the bhop speed capped to a certain speed, so he's dding to keep his speed, because if you keep bhopping and gain more speed than the cap, it will slow you down.

Edit : Also, if you guys are interested in hl speedrunning, i could help you since i'm a member of the sourceruns team. Ask anything you want to know or add me if you need help with a trick.

I will stream my SS attempts if i'm in the mood :)

TT.06/05/2013 15:41

yes, i'd like to see some pro kzer post their runs.

@pruno : what SS stand for please?

pruno moviemaker06/05/2013 18:07

Single Segment

ova29/06/2013 15:19

I've also been sucked into this speedrun spectacle, only streams i watch, gta and hl speedruns, won't even try, i think i'l just waste my time.

Originally posted by ova
I've also been sucked into this speedrun spectacle, only streams i watch, gta and hl speedruns, won't even try, i think i'l just waste my time.

you just wasted some time posting this comment

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.