Incredible idea originaly said by SwiftSpear.
Good evening everyone. So I just read the comment of SwiftSpear in "KZMOD IS NOT DEAD" thread.
And then I thought, why not telling it in completely new thread, so people will see it..
- Unlockable items in KZMOD
such as:
Hats
Knifes/Bats/Etc
Player models ( ?? )
It could involve a medals in it, for example:
You have 20 gold medals, you open your "KZMod shop" and buy a bat model so everyone will see, how good you're, how much maps you finished and so on.
Another example, you finished 200 maps/courses, you open your "KZMod shop" and you can pick some cool looking hat..
Well since we got a "KZMod shop" already it seems possible and it would spice things up, that's for sure.
People would want to play it not only because it's awesome, but for hats/models and so on too!:)
Well everything depends on modelers, programmers and DEVS now!
Discuss it, dev's should see it, it might make kzmod really popular game!:)
Since 2.0 is coming up, I'm thinking why not give it a try?:)
Viglioshius //
user/Viglioshius
This seems like a great idea, we'll need to check it out once everything else is set up.
Then I want to have a beer in my hand cuz i cant do shit there
:D BMW E36 :D for my
phone/camera in hand :D
A lot of what you described could be accomplished with a SourceMod script, so anyone could implement it -- it wouldn't need to be the dev team. Changing player models and adding sprite trails/hats has been done in the past in Source engine games. Adding weapons is probably the one thing that couldn't be done through SM.
It opens a legitimate market avenue. You can distribute the game free to play, have a bunch of unlockables unlocked through ingame currency, and have some that require real money currency. It would bring the game from a "mod" state into an "indie" state, which could get it on greenlight and get the news sites talking about it's revival as an indie title.
I didn't really consider it my idea though, because there's a lot of really mainstream games that already do this. League of Legends and TF2 being the first two that come to mind.
Sellablility is actually a good thing in gaming. Gamers don't appreciate truely free games as much. If you don't want any income, spend it all on remarketing.
Greenlight is poresently on the way back out of the same Valve door it came in on. They are killing it.
We cannot in ANY way.....monetize the game other than paypal donations from the website. We do not own the rights to the engine.
That is, unless someone finds a hole in the EULA for making mods with Valves engines and materials.
Valve is really good about working with mod authors to comercialize. The hole in the EULA is that if you talk to them they can waive it, and they have done so many times in the past. Stanley Parable did that exactly just recently. As I understand it thier general policy is if you convert your mod to an indie title, they get a larger chunk of your profits then they would for a privately licenced engine, and that's the major caveate.
They may have additional requirements, you may not be allowed to use certain texture assets or other things, but you can sell KZ mod on steam if you're willing to do what it takes to make it happen.
I suspect greenlight is working better than Gabe origionally belived it was. I wouldn't expect to see it disappear in the near future. When they were discussing shutting it down it was going to be a gradual process anyways, you're very unlikely to be caught in limbo, especially if you've already talked with Valve about comercialization. Either way, things will always be changing in games, even if greenlight does go away Valve is still going to be indie friendly. Terrarria, DayZ, StarBound, Amnesia, the games that make Steam the most money right now are indies. There's definately a wave to ride right now if you guys are up to the challenge.
I am far from being the one against a challenge.
Give me please someone's address there.
I was talking about greenlight options with DJ Powers but he unfortunately kept running me around in circles be rather obviously not reading my emails, repeatedly asking question I had already answered twice. After a 2 week Valve vacation he came back and had forgotten everything. So we started over.
He offered me a free ticket into Greenlight (yes you have to pay them to do it), but I never saw it and then he wanted to see videos of how we were using the pistol and knife models from css/CS....which are purely for visial nostalgic.
He saw our 1.0 video and said we need to make one that makes the game exciting. We can't sell a game like that. At this point, I told him for the 4th time, we are not wanting to sell it. Our main goal (again for like the 6th time now) was to get backedn support for updating the game and continue being free.
I personally do not believe this game is sellable. It is too hard. It apeals to a very special type of person. DJ Powers had that impression as well.
We have one programmer.
No "working modeler", and after years of trying we still have not found a modeler who will dedicate to us. We had one recently that did however fix our tool system.
Valves plan:
They are concentrating all their energy presently on Steam Machine and the Steam OS to compete globally with Playstation and XBOX because they hit the 75 million steam users mark.
All the indie games you mentioned, have everything we do not.
We dont have 100% our own textures.
We don't a well rounded and evenly matched set of player and tool models (some are good some are very ugly and completely out of place) + our animations suck.
We don't have a game that CAN be attractive to a large enough croud to get them to lift a finger for us.
I know this sounded very negative, but this is how we have been treated for all our years of rock solid dedication to Valves engine.
I disagree with the sell-ability point. We're in an era where difficulty in games is worshipped by casuals and hard cores alike. Speed demos archive raised a million dollars in 24 hours. Super Meat Boy made it's creators rich and famous. Professional e-sports have literally made thousands of careers.
It's not the easiest game in the world to market, but it's not impossible.
Yeah, valve won't roll out the red carpet for you, but like I say, there's a path to make green light happen. You do have to charge something though, either on a free to play model with ingame purchases, or a one time pay wall.
If I had the time and skill to run the KZmod project for a year, I'd absolutely abuse the community to try to work up buzz of the remaking of Kreedz Climbing (drop the "mod" name, we're going indie!), get people streaming, get people making youtube videos and commenting them, get people hopping onto mainstream sites and inviting people for impromtu "beta tests". Put the game on steam through green light in early access format, and hopefully get a few mentions on rock paper shotgun and similar sites. Work on a series of maps that has a bit of a campaign story and really shows off the adventure aspect of KZ to appeal to more mainstream players (a starter pack so to speak), and then use all profits to hire modellers to fix any remaining modelling issues (maybe cut the CS models till they can be properly replaced), artists for textures, and marketers to try to get enough buzz to get some serious interest.
Like I said in the other thread, this is an era for a game like this. LEWLY and Pizza could be making some serious money streaming if things catch on (maybe not quit your job money, but definitely a nice padding of the pocket book). In my opinion we've got the community to make this happen, and we've got 80% of the development content to make it happen, we're just missing the mainstream buzz and that last 20% of polish and perfection.
What I want to impress on you is that KZ mod is actually very impressive. I don't play a lot of games any more, my interests have mostly shifted to making games and analysing the industry. I'm telling you there are projects in a worse state than KZ mod that have done very well for themselves. Minecraft was a one man project. Stanley parable was made by a 22 year old with no previous modding experience. I know a lot of shit has flung your way, but be very proud of what you accomplished here. I can't promise you anything I'm saying, I can just saying there's a real possibility. Personally, I'd be rooting for you if you choose to go that route; and if I can, helping.
I love this thread so your idea to revive the game is to add hats and add micro transactions you have to be kidding right. There is still so many things that need to be fixed/added please do not spend dev time on adding hats.
We don't even have enough talented supporting us to do that what he is asking for, however motivational that idea is. FragGyver could easily make all that content but we are all bogged down with other duties atm.
So don't worry BacoN. Swift, add me on steam. It is your idea and you are going help us :D
i dont get what SDA/speedrunning raising money for charity has todo with kzmod.
Sorry for the derail.
Please log in to post replies.