Fast compiling tips
Making a kz map is focused intensivly on the jumps, so you should test every 5-6 jumps you make imo. But this is kind of time consuming because you have to wait some time for the map to compile, and if you have a large map it will take quite some time.
So i'm gonna show you some tricks to compile your map in a few seconds...
I use two commands when compiline.
"vis.exe -fast" - this one everyone knows it. It basicly compiles the map properly but is not optimised for best fps.
"rad.exe -chop 512" - with this one the lights will be compiled in 10 to 60 seconds, depending on how big is your map. You should not go over 1024 because the compile times are basically the same and the lights will look kind of bad. With 512 the lights are looking pretty close to a normal compile. So this option is good for fast testing different lighting styles.
Of course, for the fastest compile, you can disable rad, but than the map will be "full-bright" and i personally don't like to test the map this way... it looks ugly and my jumps feel unnatural.
If you have a large map the compile will take some time even with this commads. In this case you should use the "Cordon bounds" tool.
What this one does "Cordon bounds" do?
With this tool you can select only a part of your map to be compiled. Here is a picture with how to use "Cordon bounds"
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-klvJqZf6GZY/U7MhQfLMRSI/AAAAAAABiFU/_yj_MPIa93M/s0/cordon.png
Make sure the cordon is red before you compile the map. Also you have to make a spawn in that area, and if there's no light there, put one.
So instead of compiling the whole map, you compile only a small area of it, the area you are interested in...
no... you dont need RAD compiler at all if you just want to test jumps. It doesnt do any light/shadow calculations if you remove it, but your map will be completely lit up, playable and even with the same fps.
I had impression everyone know that...
It feels strange to jump on a full-bright map. I prefer it with the lightning.
I think that some mappers, especially new ones don't know about the cordon bounds tool...
Everyone has different preferences and workflow indeed, but if your map has a lot of surfaces and a lot of light sources even rad -chop 512 compilation can take a lot more than several minutes versus 0 seconds without rad. Personally I dont find anything strange in testing jumps quickly with fullbright as a mapper, and rather do full/normal compile if I need to test the map more than just for jumps. Even if you need to test your lightstyles, you still can create an isolated system or a cordon, then compile it properly for better understanding what needs to be adjusted and fixed.
My point is that you are trying to achieve some middle ground there, that is not really efficient. Its okay if you are used to such workflow of course, but not really good idea to suggest such to everyone, people should have options ;)
I often make a huge room and copy the part I want to test into that room. I then make changes to that part and copy it back into the map when done. I did this a lot for Gigablockier when there were sections I wanted to test a lot and make minor tweaks to.
@spr1n
As i stated in the first post, i use the cordon method if the map is getting large... And for me the extra 5-10 seconds to compile the lights totally worth's. And it is a good method to use if you wanna play with the lights color/intensity until you decide what style to chose. Even with cordon the rad will take several minutes on full settings, and with chop -512 it takes seconds, and the result is not that far off, only the shadows look a bit bulky.
The fact that you can disable rad completely is a obvious thing :) and that's the reason i didn't mentioned in the first post... I'll put it in now.
@SadPuppy
That sounds complicate and time consuming, why don't you use Cordon Bounds?
Im sorry I dont share your discomfort about fullbright, so I cant relate how important it actually is for you, but still sounds silly to avoid it completely because of that, at least suggesting that that to everyone. Im not saying no-rad is the only way to go, but its the most effective one when it comes to testing quickly such things like jumps and a lot of people use quite often without any problems.
No need to repeat yourself, I agree that using cordon is quite efficient and should be encouraged, never suggested the opposite. Anyway you exaggerate there mate, from my experience chop -512 is just about twice as fast rather than usual compilation. And Im back to my point: is it really necessary to appeal to some middle ground? Is it worth to wait 10 instead of 20 seconds (or even 30 lets say), 1 minute instead of 2... just to get slightly faster less precise compilation? Its up to you of course, and maybe even useful in some cases if you want to compile full or big map with some basic lighting for example. Suggesting mappers resort to some middle ground as only or main option is not really good idea though and in this case a bit misleading, is what I want to say with all this so far. There are a lot of options people can choose from to optimize their workflow.
SadPuppy, I use that a lot myself actually, especially while testing entity work in controlled isolated system, but yea there are better alternatives for testing quickly things like jumps alone (cordon and various compilation options)
Never really liked the Cordon Bounds, but I used them a bit when I started to map. Not sure why I stopped actually. Perhaps it was because I got a faster computer and thus started to compile faster. I really like breaking out sections and crash testing stuff separately. I did that a lot trying to optimize clip nodes when I needed to too.
Please log in to post replies.