wpoly & epoly values

Started by eMTi
13/03/2007 13:51
Page 1 of 1
eMTi13/03/2007 13:51

this is a question for mappers who already released a map here on xj and got the kz_ tag and for the admins aswell.

Rules say that the map should have "decent average FPS" and therfore you have to have an eye on r_speeds of course.
My question now is what you consider as "acceptable" e/wpoly values and fps.

different "max"-values for outdoor / indoor maps ?

I'm asking that, because rules are a bit fuzzy at this point. A clear rule like "max 1500 wpoly & 1500 epoly at jumping areas" would help a lot :D

2. question is as simply as it can be: :)
how to get higher frame rates ? (no func_illusionary & func_wall & NULL-Texture hints please :D)

greetings, m1Cha aka eMTi (workin on 5th map now which I'm planning to release on xj)
[ Edited ]

rinkon mapper14/03/2007 03:32(edited 26/07/2015 11:39)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwrbyVaC6EU

acidburn14/03/2007 07:06

Don't use many and strange (flickering for instance) light sources at the same place.

Don't use prefabs and brushes with too many vertexes.

Make sure the player is seeing only what he has to on your map (-> vis blocking like rinkon said), meaning hide the other things that come later on. This is not a big problem in indoor maps, but in outdoor maps it can get pretty tricky.

Use models instead of prefabs wherever you can.

eMTi14/03/2007 10:26

will low res textures have some effect?
im talking a map like this
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/1324/kzretro0000bv1.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5679/kzretro0001gc2.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4011/kzretro0002bv1.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9397/kzretro0003qv5.jpg
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/4157/kzretro0004qm0.jpg

AverageFreak14/03/2007 10:37

I think in this case,its just too much solids

eMTi14/03/2007 11:31

well I'm currently trying out some things such as 16x16 textures (i don't need a higher res ^^). it's working quite good. i have 100fps all the time on a Athlon XP 2800+ with ATi Radeon 9600. I think that should do it..

btw dont close the thread, I'm going to post some shots of the map from time to time :)

[ Edited Wed Mar 14 2007, 11:36AM ]

acidburn14/03/2007 18:57

I think the smaller the texture is and to often it is tiled on the brush the less fps you will have, because the engine has to draw the texture a lot of times.

EHEH.benne15/03/2007 15:08

edit: shit the same :)
[ Edited Fri Mar 16 2007, 02:23AM ]

dEMolite mapper15/03/2007 21:03

I think the smaller the texture is and to often it is tiled on the brush the less fps you will have, because the engine has to draw the texture a lot of times.

acidburn


He said it but it won't draw the texture it will be splitten up in to brushes.

Try to make low wpolys in jumping areas or the map will fuck up on slow pcs. epolys are the polygones on the models. When the epolys are grown fast in the high position like 50k or higher it will fuck up the engine too

eMTi19/03/2007 13:50

hum okay.. so bigger textures could improve performance?
what about scaling them bigger -> same effect?

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.