Learning english grammar

Started by czupa
25/10/2016 02:29
Page 2 of 2
perd0 mapper27/10/2016 15:25

the majority of peeps in this thread don't get his point at all.

mao moviemaker27/10/2016 17:57

I think we understand him, the fact is, no one is going to elaborate on it.
The word "have" has multiple and complex uses, so you should first learn to recognize if it's working as a verb or as an auxiliary. In the case of verbs just go to the conjugation table and learn them. In the case of auxiliaries you must notice that it's always helping other verbs.
I hope it's helpful.

WOOFix28/10/2016 18:26

Read books in English helps alot FYI. I recommend American novels or newspaper articles rather than English ones simply because the vocabulary and grammar are easier.

SKY-RIM28/10/2016 18:37

Originally posted by czupa
Originally posted by FuZzy1
I never studied English grammar, learned English from cartoon network and movies. In your case with had/have/has I just use what sounds good to me in the context and for words I don't know to spell I use autocorrect :).

You can try doing exercises around the net to improve your grammar with confusing verbs, like this: http://www.learnenglishfeelgood.com/m/english-verbs-tohave1.html got 10/10 first try ;)

I feel like i haven't fully explained my problem. That link you gave with the exercise is pretty easy even for me.. I know when i should use have/has/had in past simple tense. My problem starts, when there's past perfect, perfect continous etc, the only tenses with "perfect" word in it. Let me give you an example with some sentences:

-They >>have changed<< their plans.
-John >>has been studying<< in London since January.
-They will >>have finished<< the bridge by the end of the month.
I hope you can understand.


Use have when you're referring to a group of people etc (eg: they have to go to work)
Use "has" when you're referring to a specific person, object etc (he has an extra pen, It has to be done this way, John has 2 kids, etc)

Just read many books or short stories And listen to English raps (Eminem to be specific) with lyrics. Soon you'll get the hang of it.

FAME28/10/2016 19:28

Originally posted by SKY-RIM
Originally posted by czupa
Originally posted by FuZzy1
I never studied English grammar, learned English from cartoon network and movies. In your case with had/have/has I just use what sounds good to me in the context and for words I don't know to spell I use autocorrect :).

You can try doing exercises around the net to improve your grammar with confusing verbs, like this: http://www.learnenglishfeelgood.com/m/english-verbs-tohave1.html got 10/10 first try ;)

I feel like i haven't fully explained my problem. That link you gave with the exercise is pretty easy even for me.. I know when i should use have/has/had in past simple tense. My problem starts, when there's past perfect, perfect continous etc, the only tenses with "perfect" word in it. Let me give you an example with some sentences:

-They >>have changed<< their plans.
-John >>has been studying<< in London since January.
-They will >>have finished<< the bridge by the end of the month.
I hope you can understand.


Use have when you're referring to a group of people etc (eg: they have to go to work)
Use "has" when you're referring to a specific person, object etc (he has an extra pen, It has to be done this way, John has 2 kids, etc)

Just read many books or short stories And listen to English raps (Eminem to be specific) with lyrics. Soon you'll get the hang of it.

Dude you're quoting a post where he explained that he has no problems using have/has/had in non-perfect tenses. Speaking for myself, I'm struggling with the same problem but I've learned something already, at least I hope so. From my observations it looks like you should add "have/has -ed" for past tense only if you want to pay attention that certain action has been done, not mentioning when it has occurred. The "have/has been -ing" should be used when you want to pay attention for how long certain action lasts or has lasted and recently stopped.

Page 2 of 2

Please log in to post replies.