render help

Started by Commandeer mapper
12/06/2017 14:23
Page 1 of 1
Commandeer mapper12/06/2017 14:23(edited 12/06/2017 14:25)

Clip 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS3Jot0C92E
Clip 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuxxvASu8Ns

Rendered with the exact same settings. The quality is very nice before uploading it to youtube, but youtube completely crushes the bitrate no matter what you use, which causes the blur and the pixelation.

I usually use .mp4 but I've tried .avi h.264 too, nearly same result on both.

Any tips on how to make a map like brickworld look good? As far as I know the more movement you have and the more detail on screen (grass texture for example) the worse the quality. I have done a brick clip before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ae1ck3PVLw and the quality was a lot better. Youtube is really dropping the bitrate on 720p videos nowadays so I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to counter this.

zamalkosam12/06/2017 15:11

yeah,use legion encoder,also max out your graphics card settings before you record the demo in hlae because if u dont u get rough edges and pixels like on the goldbhop clip,about the quality - there is nothing that can be done,the best quality you can achieve is by using legion 2.0 (google it up),you will need the installation files from legion 1.0 like avisynth,matroska splitter,ffdshow latest rev. all the cosy-climbing latest rotws by ivansky are made with that settings and quality is fairly decent,not 1:1 to what it is with the downloaded file but still good enough.

youtube will encode your video no matter what because they need to save space and shit,legion 2.0 with youtube x264 preset is the best so far. good luck

JocA Banned13/06/2017 15:39

oh my god, i didnt know youtube is that bad so video quallity is also being 'changed' just like quality of an uploaded audio file...not the same reason but they are doing some shitty things...i hope no matter which (vimeo mb) will overtake youtube's first position of video site

Gorbachev_x mapper13/06/2017 18:17

Are not youtube videos converted to .flv once they get uploaded?

zamalkosam13/06/2017 21:05

no they still are .mp4 but the compression and encoding is destroying the quality completely

iNsprate moviemaker14/06/2017 07:25

It does not only compress the videos to fuck the quality up, but to make the clip more accessible. Also storing was never a problem for YouTube as it keeps the original files of even old videos, because with the invention of 60 fps it re-processed clips dating even before 2010.

You have to read on how the compression works and then find out there are numerous tricks to step up some quality, basically the more input color data there is the more output data there will be which quickly explains the extra artifacts on black and white videos.

Source data influences the final render too and whilst you cannot change the shitty textures you can, as previously said above, max out your gpu to squeeze the max out of the game.

H264 works well (if you ticked the 4 things right which im not sure about) but yet again it depends on the video, the amounts of motion blur and colors.

Commandeer mapper16/06/2017 18:34

@zamalkosam I think the goldbhop clip quality is just fine, I like to use fast and efficient methods instead of encoding a clip multiple times. The quality on cosy rotw on nz_playnoob is pretty similar to what I did on brickworld, so I don't see much help there either.

@iNsprate I do like to go heavy on the colors, watching clips without that makes me feel like I'm just watching demos and not a movie. H264 does seem to have a bit less of the actual pixelation that happens when spinning around, could try using that a bit more. Thanks for the info!

@Nannou Those settings have been tried and tested many times already.

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.