New hard drive with a bad sector, replace or not?

Started by ClintBarton
24/07/2018 09:44
Page 1 of 1
ClintBarton24/07/2018 09:44(edited 24/07/2018 16:21)

Hi,

I just received a new hard drive (a 1TB WD MyBook Essentials) yesterday, ran the included WD LifeGuard program, and it failed on the extended test. I then tried the verify surface scan test in hddscan and it found a bad sector. It also fails to perform the S.M.A.R.T. offline tests in hddscan, though I don't have the error message handy at the moment (it starts at 10% then fails to run). Should I just go ahead and RMA the drive or keep it and hope for the best? I've never had trouble with a hard drive before and don't really want to start now.

Please help.

I did not find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=67562
-removed link-

Thanks!

g-Lprecord holder Tournament #124/07/2018 22:59

You should replace your HDD ASAP, meanwhile, you can try chkdsk tool so the bad sector won't be used again.

klinch24/07/2018 23:40

g-Lp such a nice person, i love your avatar hihi ;p btw he is right

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.