Tutorial: The use of hint-brushes (Part 2)

Started by Dalai mapper
28/05/2007 21:52
Page 1 of 1
Dalai mapper28/05/2007 21:52

Hi there,
this is the second part of my tutorial on how to use hint-brushs!
This time I'll tell you about VIS-Blocking.

Visblocking means hiding gemoetry from the player's view by creating 'leafs' in order to speed up the fps!
A leaf is an area that is connected to another area. Areas are defined by the faces - which means that the white lines you'll see in my pictures, define the border of an area.

So let's start with a simple example:
-> Image

If there's no artificial leaf-splitting, so the engine will simply see and render all areas because all areas are connected to each other, even though the player will never see all areas at the same time.

So let's have a look at what this picture might look like after using hint-brushes. (the 'H' in this picture stands for "hint-brush"):

->Image

As you can see I used a triangular Hint-Brushs in order to help the engine know what I can see and what I cant see.

In this case we prevented the engine from rendering the red areas which could for example include lots of detail and stuff that make the r_speeds drop.

Again I prepared a whole example map:
-> Click me!

(it's german, just look for the 'download-button')

You'll need to enable wireframe - I explained how to enable it in the 'VIStutorial.txt' that comes with the file.


I rly hope this helped you! Please use it to improve your maps.

Remember: using hint-brushs wisely provides the ability to build much more details without getting lags and to get a more solvent overall game play.


greetz, Dalai



-> Goto: Part1
(Hint Brushs to prevent complex geometry slicing a brush badly)




[ Edited ]

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.