Error: WriteClipNodes_r: odd planenum

Started by JizeR
31/07/2007 19:19
Page 1 of 1
JizeR31/07/2007 19:19

Hi, I'm getting the error in the topic or "Error: WriteDrawNodes_r: odd planenum" when i'm trying to compile the kz map i'm building :/

here's a link to the log from the compile: http://www.fuskbugg.se/pub/misc/kz_kobbel.zip

Does anyone know what it means and what to do about it?
I've googled but i haven't found anything..

acidburn01/08/2007 06:30

Here you can find someone who had the same problem:
http://www.fpsbanana.com/threads/83851?22

If you read through the thread you'll see that there is something wrong with the map. The guy there says:

I've found out that if i delete a few specific brushes i don't get that error, but if i redo them or make similar brushes (not vertex manipulated, just plain textured brushes) i get that error again.

someGUY


At the end you'll also see that the problem was solved, but unfortunately he doesn't say how... :mad:

But if he didn't use vertex manipulation, the only thing left should be the clipping tool. Did you clip brushes? Try to remove the clipped brushes.

If you look at the source code of QBSP (which should produce the error) here:
http://www.koders.com/c/fidA9A9BDAE7F5F988B7EC4A4E407EC245D01AB23A3.aspx
and search for "odd planenum" you're going to see this condition:


if (node->planenum & 1)
Error ("WriteDrawNodes_r: odd planenum");


This is a check for oddity. Which means that odd planenum, surprise means that the node has an odd number of planes, which seems to be not allowed. So if you didn't clip brushes, you should check for nodes (=brushes) with an odd number of planes and try to remove them.

Hope this helps, good luck!

JizeR01/08/2007 08:29

Yeah thx, I redid some brushes that had been clipped and now i managed to compile it.

But when I'm trying to load the map in the game it crashes and this message comes up:

"Bad surface extents 16/528 at position (-2704,101,1088)" :S
I isolated the problem to a ladder brush, redid that, and now i get r_drawclipnodes: odd planenum again.. gaah
[ Edited 08/01/07 - 08:39:35 ]

acidburn01/08/2007 12:55

Is that brush anything special? Does it have an odd number of planes or something? I've never had this error so far. Could you post a screen shot of that particular brush in Hammer?

JizeR01/08/2007 14:55

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9950/ladderdp5.jpg

That's what's at -2704, 1088 in front view, I didn't find a specific brush at -2704, 1088 in top or side view so.

acidburn01/08/2007 15:50

Does it work when you remove the ladder? I can't see any problem with the ladder here.

JizeR01/08/2007 17:36

I've given up that map.. I bet i'll have to take apart every brush on that map before it's error free :/

acidburn01/08/2007 21:41

Please answer my question and post your MAP file. I would like to find out what the cause for this problem is. :(

P.V.A.B.-jello02/08/2007 00:07

Alt+P :)

acidburn02/08/2007 08:19

Alt+P :)

tenub


Read the first post of the first link in my first post of this thread...

JizeR07/08/2007 12:54

Please answer my question and post your MAP file. I would like to find out what the cause for this problem is. :(

acidburn

I've found out that if I change Clip Type from legacy to smallest in Batch compiler I don't get that error.
I guess that the compileprogs believe that i have to many planes or something.

acidburn07/08/2007 20:05

At least you solved the problem. Good job! Maybe you can tell us where to change that setting. ;)

colix mapper07/08/2007 21:02

At least you solved the problem. Good job! Maybe you can tell us where to change that setting. ;)

acidburn


in batch at csg, but for me its precise, and i set batch up from a tutorial

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.