broken computer

Started by H.o.r.s.t.
29/12/2007 00:17
Page 1 of 1
H.o.r.s.t.29/12/2007 00:17(edited 30/12/2007 23:05)

Hey,
my pc is once again broken and this time I don't really know the reason :(
Please only post if you are experienced in that stuff.

Lately I exchanged my videocard because the fan of the old one wasted away. Subsequently I formated the pc and reconfigured everything.
Everything worked well only from time to time I got a bluescreen. That was kinda annoying but it occured to my that its actually only or mostly happening while watching videos on youtube. However I resigned myself of restarting it everytime.

Yesterday I once again got a bluescreen and switched it of and on again but I couldnt get it to work anymore. The bootscreen of the videocard appeared and the bootscreen of the cpu. Thereupon the screen stayed black. No reaction anymore but when I pressed the buttom of the pc to switch it off, I didn't have to hold it long, it went out quite quickly.
Just like you switch it on and immediately press the button again before windows boots.

To explain further circumstances, I didn't scan the harddrive for viruses but also didn't have any problems possibly regarding to them.
The videocard is brandnew and gives the bootscreen so I don't think that it's the reason. The harddrive always worked well and never did any trouble.

My indication is that it could be the RAM or the motherboard. The second would be nasty.

At least some informations about the machine itself:

My computer is just over 4 years old but never made any problems.
Its a P4 with Hyperthreading and 3GHz.
It uses DDR2 (I suppose) RAM á 4x256MB.
The new videocard is a Leadtek Winfast A7600GT with 256MB DDR3.
Everything is supplied by 350W.


Does anybody know what it could be? What it couldn't be would be also helpful! Maybe somebody already had this phenomenon or got a good clue.




Thanks for your help! <3

-------------
@admin: I'm sorry but could you move the thread to the General Help section? I was mistaken

Pf0llz0r mapper29/12/2007 01:28

I had the same problem with my old computer.
The problem for me was a broken RAM, try to remove all ur memory-modules and then test them one by one to see if anyone is broken, it can also be a memoryslot on the mainboard thats broken.

U can try that

H.o.r.s.t.29/12/2007 01:46

thank you, I'm gonna test that tomorrow. Our other computer might have a fitting RAM-module for testing.
I really hope that it's not the motherboard itself, that would really suck!

I just burned knoppix to test whether there are viruses involved but I don't think so in fact that its not even trying to boot windows. I hope I didn't damage the RAM while plugging in the video card. It was a peace of work to get it in.

If a memory slot on the mainboard is broken, may I use the others instead or is this kinda dangerous? (too high tension~)

PopiT29/12/2007 01:47

Is it alot of dust in it?

Before i had alot of dust in my computer and got bluescreens all the time.. Also try opening it and check if everything is in place and sitting good.. Like press on the rams alittle and stuff.

If your unlucky something is broken (RAM or somethin).

H.o.r.s.t.29/12/2007 01:51

I dont think that it's a dust-problem. I didn't open it jet but I cleaned it while changing the card.

soul v2.0 mapper29/12/2007 16:30

http://forums.techguy.org

Ask there :> they're very helpful :P

KNiFEAR29/12/2007 19:42

the first thing i would try is to use a, from what you know, working ram. but well it can be cause by plenty of problems:D when you've tried all possible solutions and it sitll don't work i suggest you visit some professionals :)

H.o.r.s.t.30/12/2007 22:48(edited 31/12/2007 00:27)

I took me half an hour to replace my 4 ram sticks with our other computer's 2 sticks. The computer started now after 5 min of booting time.
I now try to find out which one the broken one is.

You cant even imagine how fumbling this crap is. My fingers hurt :(

----------------
After putting the sticks to and fro, the computer now starts again with all the four old RAM-modules but it takes nearly 5 min to start.
I'm so glad that its working again and I'm gonna run a memory test program this night but at first I will play a round cs :D

KNiFEAR31/12/2007 10:55

Originally posted by H.o.r.s.t.
I took me half an hour to replace my 4 ram sticks with our other computer's 2 sticks. The computer started now after 5 min of booting time.
I now try to find out which one the broken one is.

You cant even imagine how fumbling this crap is. My fingers hurt :(

----------------
After putting the sticks to and fro, the computer now starts again with all the four old RAM-modules but it takes nearly 5 min to start.
I'm so glad that its working again and I'm gonna run a memory test program this night but at first I will play a round cs :D


yea, and then u upload that pic of kreedz u were talking about:D (u dont need permission to do that, he's a legend!):D

H.o.r.s.t.01/01/2008 04:29(edited 01/01/2008 04:38)

here you go :)
-------------------------
There are also other pics showing him climbing but they have been posted 2.5 years ago on kreedz.com, I suppose, and I have never seen them again. Kreedz should actually still have them.
I just noticed the similarity with ernstaugust :D

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.