kz_kzm_fineblock

Started by faker mapper
08/04/2008 00:25
Page 1 of 1
faker mapper08/04/2008 00:25(edited 08/04/2008 00:25)

Status: Denied

Reason:

- Pretty unfair/bad balancing amongst the hard jumps, even for pros.
- Depressing/boring textures which don't fit together at all. Looks like a lack of creativity
- The whole map feels empty, too, almost no details and environment

Suggestions:

- Improve the balancing, the textures and maybe add some details.

Other:

-

SilverNinja mapper08/04/2008 08:10

Unfair and poorly balanced jumps? It's called an extreme map.. the intention is to be challenging even for pros. This isn't a map that you can just download and beat the first time you play it.. there are already hundreds of maps like that.

Depressing/boring textures which don't fit together at all? Well I'm sorry that this isn't some fruity map like kzcn_mahjong which makes you feel like you're on acid, but this map has an abandonment theme, taking place just after sunrise; you're supposed to get the feeling that you're jumping in abandoned territory, so obviously I'm not going to use cheery textures. I really don't see the problem.. the textures are beautiful and fit together fine.. it seems you guys are just coming up with bullshit excuses to deny my map just because you so called "pros" in the mapcheck team can't beat it.. just because you guys can jump 253 block, doesn't mean you'll be able to beat my map without practice.

I'm sick of you guys slapping the KZ tag on awful maps like kz_jumprun just because it has a "Made by Radon" sign in it, and you don't seem to have a problem accepting kz_sandblock2, which has jumps MUCH harder than any jumps in my map.

faker mapper09/04/2008 15:01(edited 09/04/2008 17:33)

Unfair and poorly balanced jumps? It's called an extreme map.. the intention is to be challenging even for pros. This isn't a map that you can just download and beat the first time you play it.. there are already hundreds of maps like that.



Yes, that was kinda obvious for us but still... even the good/pro jumpers in our team felt like this map is too hard and didn't appreciate the hard/xtreme jumps in a ROW, which make you start over with the whole block again if you fail one of them. That was pretty fustrating and thats what I tryed to say when I mentioned the balancing... kzno_xtremeblock is a good example for hard/xtreme (at that time they were xtreme for sure) BUT fair placed jumps.

Well I'm sorry that this isn't some fruity map like kzcn_mahjong which makes you feel like you're on acid



Your first mistake is you compare your map (going for the kz_ tag) with an average custom map... If you really want to get the kz_ tag you should compare your map with good kz_ maps, not average custom maps.

Anyway... kzcn_mahjong does look weird, I agree with you, but thats what all the mahjong stuff is about.

It seems you guys are just coming up with bullshit excuses to deny my map just because you so called "pros" in the mapcheck team can't beat it. I really don't see the problem.. the textures are beautiful and fit together fine



Well, to use your words: This argument is bullshit. Of course 90% of mapcheck team couldn't beat your map, but that is no reason to deny a map of course. If that was true the other hard-xtreme maps you mentioned would have never been released at all.

You say the textures are beautiful and fit together fine, but every single admin on the mapteam disagreed on that. It's hard to argue with you about that, because it's your map and you decide how it should look like, but if we tell you that the whole mapteam thinks your map doesn't look good you should tend to believe us. We are a group of representative people, we all have a huge knowledge about all the kz_ and custom maps out there and if we don't like it, the majority of the community won't like it as well.

If you don't believe us just make the people play your map and ask for some HONEST opinions.

I'm sick of you guys slapping the KZ tag on awful maps like kz_jumprun just because it has a "Made by Radon" sign in it, and you don't seem to have a problem accepting kz_sandblock2, which has jumps MUCH harder than any jumps in my map.



Argueing like this doesn't help at all. I agree on you that kz_jumprun is a bit controversial, but you can't be serious about comparing your map to kz_sandblock2?!

However... sorry if you felt offended by reading this text, but I wrote it without "sugarcoating" because I had the impression (after reading your text) that you'd appreciate that...

SilverNinja mapper12/04/2008 11:56

I know that most people aren't going to like the jumps in my map, but then again, the majority of the community spends most of their time trying to improve their LJ stats, rather than playing extreme maps, so they're probably not even going to be able to make the first few jumps. There are already plenty of maps designed for casual jumpers who just play for fun, so I think the more skilled jumpers deserve a few maps that can truly challenge them.
Of course the pros are going to fall a lot and get frustrated, that's the point of my map, and that's what drew me to KZ in the first place.. it took me months before I was able to beat gigablock, and of course I got frustrated when I kept falling, but that's the way KZ goes: You fall a lot, you get frustrated, but then when you finally beat the map, you feel a sense of accomplishment. If you never fall, that kinda takes the fun out of it.

I don't see why you think I'm kidding about sandblock2.. you guys are really exaggerating on the difficulty of my map. I designed it so the hardest jumps are near the bottom, so if you fall, you don't fall far down, and once you get to the really hard jumps near the end of the map, the stages are shorter to compensate for the difficulty. The way I see it, I can no-check most of my map, but there are some stages in sandblock2 that I could spend hours on without beating. You don't need Bibo's strafing/CJ skill to beat my map, you just need to learn the jumps.

Also, you missed my point about kzcn_mahjong, I wasn't criticising it, I actually think it's a fun map.. I was just using it as example to convey that maps can have drastically different themes.. and that's what makes them great. So for you to deny my map just because you don't like the theme is really unfair.. not all maps need to be full of life and energy. And yeah, I compared my map to a custom map, but after reading the review you gave my map, I got the impression that you felt my map wasn't even good enough for custom, but if it is, then you could have posted under Suggestions for me to resubmit as custom, and then there wouldn't be any need for this argument.

Well, after showing my map to some people.. I received some bad feedback about it being too dark and empty (which is the beauty of it, in my opinion,) and I also received some really great feedback (about it being unique and having an atmosphere like no other map). It's pretty arrogant of you to say my map lacks creativity, when I introduced a theme that hasn't been seen in any maps before. Regardless of that, most people thought the texturing was nice. Honestly though, if you guys really hate my map, I don't mind adding some scenery to liven things up a bit, I don't even mind retexturing, but I'm not going to change the jumps. Also, your review was vague and not helpful at all; you could at give some examples about which textures specifically were depressing/unfitting. I'm pretty sure the textures aren't depressing at all, it's just the lighting scheme that gives a daunting feeling.

agree with this guy /\ lol radon sign .. n1 ;)

Pf0llz0r mapper30/05/2008 13:01

first: why bump this old thread ?
second: congrats to your warning
Reason: Read the rules >.<

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.