Textures Sizes! (wally, hammer, PS and .BSP)

Started by pLANE mapper
22/05/2008 00:20
Page 1 of 1
pLANE mapper22/05/2008 00:20

Okie so heres my problem or question!

Im making some textures, for uhhh no reason.. yea lets go with that. So, I started by going to a free texture website with a bunch of stock photos I could download. Then I open them in PS and cropped them all down to 512x512 then tiled them. After that I save each one as .BMP and size is still 512x512. Then I open wally and upload them all onto my .WAD file.

So this is my question.

Does it matter in hammer or the map itself what size my textures are? Is there a limit or something to textures in maps so it would be smart to make the textures smaller?

Heres a sample of one of my textures Ive made before it goes into wally.
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6111/010mn5.png

As you can see that one texture is 768kb. Does that matter?

raver mapper22/05/2008 00:54

The maximum texture size should be 256*256. I dont know how to explain it. Maby ego tripper demolite can give a explaination. But in simple words, the engine dont like textures bigger then 256*256.

clair mapper22/05/2008 01:17

512x512 is the maximum. when you compile, it'll say something like "warning! larger than expected texture size" but it works perfectly fine. 512x512 scaled down makes for better detail too :)

pLANE mapper22/05/2008 02:30

So if I were to make an entire map out of 512x512 size textures, will I get an error or anything like if used too much texture space or something?

ex.
-i make a map thats made with all 64x64 size textures
then
-i make the exact same map but the textures are 512x512.

is there anything at all that could cause the compile to error because of the texture size or usage if there is a limit?

dEMolite mapper22/05/2008 10:44(edited 22/05/2008 10:45)

Maby ego tripper demolite can give a explaination.

raver

Before you are writing such bullshit, study the goldsource engine thanks!

the limit size of the textures in the goldsource was really 512x512 you can ignore the warnings in the compile logs.
all above 512x512 could crash your game. if you try to start a map with textures over 512x512, it will get you back to the main window of cstrike...

when you are making a map with 512x512, you only need to make the texture cache for the map higher with the command on csg, bsp, vis, rad -texdata 8000 (for 8mb you can change the 8000 to any value)

another example is why some are prefering 512x512 textures are the vis splitting of the brushes,
to get better fps.

to lower the size from the pictures maybe try different types like jpeg or tga files.

Pf0llz0r mapper22/05/2008 10:55(edited 22/05/2008 10:57)

actually its -texdata 8192 if you want 8mb
1024 * 8

And I think the max is 16mb (-texdata 16384)

But ye, what you are saying is true :D

pLANE mapper23/05/2008 02:14

[blockquote]And I think the max is 16mb (-texdata 16384)[/blockquote]

So there is a limit.

Pf0llz0r mapper23/05/2008 06:57

ye I think so, correct me if Im wrong :/

Page 1 of 1

Please log in to post replies.