Render your movie using the WMV codec [VEGAS]
You're completely right, except for one thing. If you don't know how to encode a movie with a good codec (I don't either!), don't try to. BUT you don't have the right to claim that wmv9 is a good codec, just because you don't know how to use a better one. It is not a good codec, it is just easy to use.
You're right about it being easy though, I won't argue with that. It's just that I don't like that people claim to be encoders just because they can encode with wmv9! As I told a friend of mine, if all you need is to make a youtube clip or a movie, and you're not good at it, then go ahead and use wmv9. Just don't call it a good codec...
Well I know how to encode in h264, mp4 and XviD but I still prefer WMV9 sometimes. However when the movie is over 4-5 minutes I won't use wmv9 ofc. My favorite from the mentioned above codecs is XviD so I'll probably encode with it :>
As a moviemaker I started to encode with wmv9 then moved to other codecs. So wmv9 as a basis is pretty good. Ok it's not great but I just can't agree with you that it sucks.
I never said that i don't care about the quality, Counterstrike isnt that supermegaquality that you can't reach a great result with wmv9, for sure codecs like XviD are better, like i said in my forst post and even in the tutorial "its not the best solution" so no need to get offensive against that.
And like st0ka said, this tutorial is about rendering in VEGAS, so theres no chance to get a good XviD result, rendering uncompressed and using the 1st pass / 2nd pass blablabla is just not needed for a -5 Minute movie.
And as the Topic says its "RENDERING YOUR MOVIE USING THE WMV CODEC" so no need to complain about it here that any other codecs are way better or w/e.
lets just say that youtube and all other online video stream shit if the format isnt .mkv it compresses it again so wmv9 ain`t the work for youtube s1gh. however some of the very best movie makers compress the movie in not one codec so everyone can download what he prefers :] i prefer to use wmv9 -> high quality , low size , fast compression, dont need a 1 TB hdd for a movie 12-15 min.
Originally posted by s1ghAnd chosen, come on. >_>
99% of the people have computers that are good enough to play h264, and it's not hard at all to install the extra codec. Either download the CCCP pack or use VLC if you're lazy.
And wmv is not an "all around codec", it's a container.
that's why i only use the x264 codec when i make movies (except movies for youtube).
Originally posted by .STyLeZYou need the wmv codec.
wow - its like every computer has it ....?
can someone make a rather easy tutorial about encoding with h246 pls? :S
Sorry for not answering, I had no computer.
Anyway, I think we all sort of agree here.
@st0ka - Well, fine, I'll give you okay. :p
I already kind of agreed with you before anyway.
@STyLeZ - I have to admit that I honestly did not see that you wrote that it's not the best solution, so I guess I should apologize. I still don't think that anyone who considers making a good quality movie should use wmv, though.
I wasn't really trying to complain or be offensive, just prove that wmv is not the best choice most of the time.
@bkZ|psh - If someone knows how to encode well with h264 he could achieve a higher quality movie with a lower size than another encoded with WMV9.
@chosen - x264 is the best choice, if you ask me as a viewer.
@boom.dll - It's h264. :p
And making a guide on it is not that easy. As far as I understand, it's kind of a trial and error process when you're a movie noob.
I think that we've reached a general consensus, so sorry if I seemed too harsh with what I said. I was just trying to show that if someone truly wants a high quality movie, wmv is definitely not the best choice.
There's a very usefull x264 Guice on the surf-cs forum. I'll copy it...wait a few secs.
there is an guide ot creative-movies.com about encodeing with x264 made by s0nkite ( s0nkite tutorials are awesome :D )
Originally posted by s1gh@boom.dll - It's h264. :p
And making a guide on it is not that easy. As far as I understand, it's kind of a trial and error process when you're a movie noob.
ah... keyboard pwnd me :]
i`m not that big of a noob :S
the thing is i`m already workin on a movie, and i`d like to know how to render it using h264, cause of what i`ve seen... it gives u INSANE quality at very low file size... :p
horst used to compress other people`s movies if u remember in .mp4 :p
x264 is better than h264 if i remember right. i dont really know WHY, but if u would read something about both codecs im sure u would think the same (thats what i did some time ago).
Originally posted by chosen.x264 is better than h264 if i remember right. i dont really know WHY, but if u would read something about both codecs im sure u would think the same (thats what i did some time ago).
Man1: Firefox is better then IE
Man2: IE is better then Firefox
get the point?
Originally posted by bkZ|pshthere is an guide ot creative-movies.com about encodeing with x264 made by s0nkite ( s0nkite tutorials are awesome :D )
yes, when it becomes to 2D/3D/animation stuff. His x264 tutorial is one load of crap. Really, he even dont understand himself what he was doing.
Originally posted by raverOriginally posted by chosen.x264 is better than h264 if i remember right. i dont really know WHY, but if u would read something about both codecs im sure u would think the same (thats what i did some time ago).
Man1: Firefox is better then IE
Man2: IE is better then Firefox
get the point?
bullshit?
there can be an absolut comparison of the size per time between both.
that's what i obviously meant with "better".
Please log in to post replies.