Map Presentations
Jop, totally agree with dEMolite.
Before some months I have written comment in this forum with this theme, but I think not so much people read it, so i copy this text here and I hope the problem with short comments will be fix in nearest time!
My bid for other players:
I hate, when somebody write comment with one word, for example GJ or CAN'T WAIT or KEEP IT UP or LOOKS NICE! (vrrgrrr!)
I'm 100% sure every player can see accomplishments and minuses of map so DON'T WRITE THESE FUCKIN' SHORT SIMPLE COMMENTS WITH ONE WORD please!!
Mapper which previews maps wanna know your feeling, he must to know what is good and what is bad in the map!
When u write only GJ, the mapper believe the map is ok, but in lot of cases it is not true!
So try to write LONGER comments about map!
Thank you ..
I pretty much agree with the post, and it should be a sticky here. But i also agree with mehz that if you want real feedback you should post your maps at a mapping site or ask for comments at #mappers channel.
Many ppl are just too unexperienced or lazy to post good comments.
As far as i noticed, the guys with mapping know-how allways try to give a helpfull comment. So there are nearly allways a few comments that are like they supposed to be.
Also the way these comments are written is important imo. Since we are talking about creative work and personal opinions, ppl should take care that their criticism isnt too rude.
Its a big difference if you say for example:
"The textures suck, lightning is ugly and its just blocky"
Its maybe your opinion, but like demolite said, the guy maybe spend many hours of his freetime to create that and its rly frustrating to get those kinds of comments.
It isnt hard to reword it in another way like
"In my opinion you could change the lightning and maybe some of the textures too, like this and that..."
Most of the critiques are based on a personal opinion and cant be written as it were facts, instead of comments about technical stuff. So for me its very important to act nice and let it not be noticed as an offensive comment. Thats the point when mappers do take it personal and probably wont except the information that has been given.
Anyway, nice initiative demolite. Lets hope the ppl, that this post is aimed at, read it and change their behaviour ;)
Telling people to go to other forums is not right... What's the point of this forum at all then? If someone has nothing to say except "gj" then they should just not post at all. I'm not saying that it's wrong to go to other forums, but by telling people to leave this forum you're just making it more useless, amateurish, and unimportant...
They shouldnt leave. Ofc the comments here are most important cause they are from the climbing community. Its just , if you want professional comments on your mapping its usefull to also post your map at a mappers site, where only experienced level-designers comment your work.
I don't really see what so big deal about this, I have previewed some of my maps, I just ignore the posts with "gj, nice" (and so on) then I read the once which actually give some feedback.
People need to give some subjective criticism and not personal criticism, just because the map was too hard for you doesn't mean the map is sucks.
And maybe you got an idea for how you want something to look like, but that does not mean it is the best or only way.
Originally posted by s1ghTelling people to go to other forums is not right... What's the point of this forum at all then? If someone has nothing to say except "gj" then they should just not post at all. I'm not saying that it's wrong to go to other forums, but by telling people to leave this forum you're just making it more useless, amateurish, and unimportant...
did I say that they should leave this forum? No I didn't. Plus, what keeps you from being on 2 forums at one time? I'm on ~5 different forums, and thats no problem. All I was saying is kreedz.com has a lot more experienced mappers, and therefore would probably be able to give some more critique from other that actually are mappers.
I'm just saying, if they could get much more help and better criticism on kreedz.com, then there's no point in the mapping forum at all... Why would a mapper want to come here and get crappy responses when he could go to kreedz.com and get good ones?
Originally posted by s1ghI'm just saying, if they could get much more help and better criticism on kreedz.com, then there's no point in the mapping forum at all... Why would a mapper want to come here and get crappy responses when he could go to kreedz.com and get good ones?
couse sometimes crappy responses still helps improve the map...
everyone says what thay think as they can... some with crappy responses, some with good and so well made that you can't understand if response is positive or negative...
+ instead of going to kreedz.com just go into #mappers... it's the same :D
Originally posted by s1ghWhy would a mapper want to come here and get crappy responses when he could go to kreedz.com and get good ones?
aehm s1gh, i think you haven't notice the difference between kreedz.com and XJ.
Why should a mapper go to a inactive community without getting a response? Kreedz.com was 3years ago active with many peoples out there. But after kreedz left the scene the site was going inactive without letting the peoples known what is going on... But now Moxx restarted it in February but it will takes years to get it active again.
And i really hope that Moxx gets kreedz.com active again.
But after all, it is sensless to get peoples on another site where they can show their projects instead on the site where the kreedzscene is active.
And also here on XJ is a Map Preview section, so why shouldn't they present their maps here? So it isnt really hard to let the peoples write feedback. Otherwise we should do it like kreedz where we get payed for map. But when we are doing it the kreedz mapping scene will be faster inactive as you can see!
Argh, you're all completely missing the point. I tried explaining this to puppetz for like 20 minutes...
Mehz said that mappers can just go to kreedz.com and get help/criticism, right? I don't know crap about kreedz.com, I never go to it. I don't know if it's active or not, and I don't know who goes there. I was trying to say that if mappers can just go to a different website or irc channel where they could get better help then what's the point of this forum?
What I mean is, going somewhere else will not solve this forum's problem. Everyone right now thinks that I'm telling other people to go to other places, but I'm doing exactly the opposite. I'm saying that instead of going somewhere else, people here on THIS forum need to become more helpful.
Originally posted by s1ghArgh, you're all completely missing the point. I tried explaining this to puppetz for like 20 minutes...
Mehz said that mappers can just go to kreedz.com and get help/criticism, right? I don't know crap about kreedz.com, I never go to it. I don't know if it's active or not, and I don't know who goes there. I was trying to say that if mappers can just go to a different website or irc channel where they could get better help then what's the point of this forum?
What I mean is, going somewhere else will not solve this forum's problem. Everyone right now thinks that I'm telling other people to go to other places, but I'm doing exactly the opposite. I'm saying that instead of going somewhere else, people here on THIS forum need to become more helpful.
Aka mission impossible. Good luck with that.
Originally posted by s1ghArgh, you're all completely missing the point. I tried explaining this to puppetz for like 20 minutes...
Mehz said that mappers can just go to kreedz.com and get help/criticism, right?
Argh sorry ^^ missinterpreted it because of so many posts which needed to be read ^^ sorry.
It's okay, I just wanted to clear it up.
And I don't know what to say about puppetz, because that was the point of this thread, to make people post more helpful things. And if this thread fails to accomplish that, then XJ just needs to take it to the next step and start warning people who don't respond appropriately.
Please log in to post replies.