Good maps for stand-up practise

Started by Igge
24/09/2008 15:15
Page 2 of 3
Grrr24/09/2008 19:51

Originally posted by midian
For me, kz_kzdk_delianshop is the best map for standup bhops. That map was way to hard for me when I wasn't able to do standups, now I can do standups and it is a very easy map for me now.


+1

Igge24/09/2008 19:52

leggie, do you use scroll down when you do a stand-up or do you use an alternate key?

aftermatch-_-24/09/2008 21:20

Originally posted by Igge
Yeah aftermatch I've played that map alot of times. I use to give up after the second lj :P


well i use to give up after the 2nd climb part , right after the teleport thingy. but i played and played and played .. rly i hated this but in the same time loved it. somehow i got better and now i rly dont have any problems with bhop maps ( except prochallenge_bhop ) , there u need a perfect stand up :P and mines not YET. so basicly keep practising and eventually ull have rly good standup :) btw sry 4 my english

atomic b0ng~24/09/2008 22:50

Hi there. :) If you think kzm_fatalisbhop and bkz_goldbhop are easy maps, which they are but the hard thing to do on them is to get good times cause you have to skip blocks while bhopping. Are you jumping on every block? Then try standups on those maps and maybe skip 1 block sometimes when trying standups. gl!

karisha24/09/2008 23:07

my opinion 4tunnels and tombbhop

wRath` mapper24/09/2008 23:30

Last part of fatalisbhop :D and just jump straight forward, skipping huge parts ;)

BLT^_^25/09/2008 05:29

the best, imo, is kz_kzlv_wanderer ... just practice the first level :) . and if you do it, then to the 3rd level .. then 4th, etc .

bap25/09/2008 17:47

yeah, the new map wanderer is a good map for standups too. i'd still go with goldbhop_v2. since it's not like, uber hard. but you need some decent standups to do some of the bhop parts :P

Igge25/09/2008 18:01

Thanks for all comments guys. Wanderer is one of the maps I hope I can finish one day. With my current stand-up skill I usually do 5 jumps in the first bhop part. Then I usually change the map :P
I found deliansbhop very good to practice the timing between crouch and jump. After playing it for a few hours I could almost do the 4th part in goldbhop_v2 and I managed to skip some blocks on fatalisbhop and goldbhop I've never been able to do before.
Thanks for all ideas. Keep it up because I can feel progress just after 1 day.

bap25/09/2008 18:16

cool, the 4th part in goldbhop v2 is the most annoying imo, needs some fairly good standup bhopping to do that part :)
and gl & hf practicing!

Igge25/09/2008 20:54

The only hard thing now is to tell my fingers what to do. For some reason they want to sync the crouch with the jump and that doens't result in a stand-up. It's a lovely feeling when you do a perfect one though!

BooLiSH25/09/2008 23:10

Originally posted by boom.dll
edit: watch chrizzo`s demo on exodus_hard... u`ll see there the boost puppetz was talking about...


right! esp last part if i remember right

my standups suck, but i don't care!

kASJAk26/09/2008 07:47

Originally posted by bap
yeah, the new map wanderer is a good map for standups too. i'd still go with goldbhop_v2. since it's not like, uber hard. but you need some decent standups to do some of the bhop parts :P

Fliborecord holder Tournament #226/09/2008 13:22

Originally posted by PuppetZ^
Igge, try and play along with a friend, where he runs, and you bhop. Set a "target" and whenever you can reach that faster than him, you know that your standups are good.

Also, I can often feel a big boost, when I've done a good standup. Sometimes the sound helps you too.

Well, hard bhopmaps would be the key. Maybe practice doing some bhopmap ONLY using standups, and see how that comes along, if you think maps like rabbithighway is too extreme.
Otherwise, watch many bhopdemos, cause it is often the speed/angle before you do the actual bhop, that will decide whether you will get far or not, and you should definitely be able to learn some tricks by watching demos from the good bhoppers like StormZz, Cordyline, heL, ChrizZo, etc.


Well, to be honest, I've never felt a real boost while standup bhopping, I've always thought it's just an illusion. Standup doesn't help you a lot in bhop longjumps either, I remember doing 2x 238 bhoplj without a standup when my lj rec was just 245.

About the angle, that's one good trick. Try to gain as much speed as possible after a standup with a sharp big good strafe. I believe that helps you when you master it. Usually small strafes in bhop is fail, because your hand gets really tired from it and it isn't a such good idea as big strafes. Big strafes are easier to sync also.

I'm not sure if you should do what I just said. I never paid any attention when I "trained" bhopping. I started by climbing kz_ maps and stuff, slowly started bhopping and so. And here I am, (rock you like a hurricane!) :D I never though I would become something like this, I just jumped for fun with my friends.

zhady Tournament #226/09/2008 14:19

kz_kzfr_rabbithighway is a perfect map for standups, I haven't read through the other comments, so I don't know if it's too hard for you.
If that's the case, practice the map lter on when you have gotten better on it. :)

veer26/09/2008 15:09

rabbithighway is ez, except for the kz part in the beginning :(

deus?26/09/2008 15:15

imo climb maps are best for standup. ive learned them by doing bhop combos at climbing.

leggie26/09/2008 15:54

i use ctrl :/

StormZz26/09/2008 18:14

space :]

Igge26/09/2008 19:16

Thanks for all new comments guys!

Flibo, I'll try to do less strafes. I'm exactly where you were once. I've been playing climbing maps only (and easy bhop maps) and I've completed all climbing maps with checkpoints. Now I want to be able to bhop proper enough and hopefully one day I can bhop like you and many others.

zhady, I keep practising on rabbithighway. I'm not ready for 1337 room yet because I can only control the stand-ups on bhops without height difference. The first part in 1337 room is a pain :)

deus, It could be a good way to practise later on. But if you are a stand-up newbie it's even harder when there are a height difference.

Stormzz, I don't know if you mean space for crouch or jump but I'm pretty sure you use it to crouch. I'll try that later. The only thing I will miss is the w-strafes. Always use space for them :P

Overall: I actually start to "feel" the speed boost and bhopping is going better. I managed to do covebhop without problems and many other easy bhop maps have become easier.

Thanks everyone for giving your thoughts!!

Page 2 of 3

Please log in to post replies.