The Flibo Bug

Started by SchlumPF
23/12/2008 18:09
Page 2 of 5
SSJGoku23/12/2008 20:54

how about if angle isnt exactly 90? than the theorema wouldnt be 100% accurate lol

SUBWAYZ23/12/2008 20:59

It should be.

Tafatt23/12/2008 21:16

Maybe relevant thread. http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?31408 (X-Longjumps)

Fliborecord holder Tournament #223/12/2008 21:26(edited 23/12/2008 21:28)

Originally posted by Bibo
ROFL.. the talkshit is gonna be awesome in the next few pages.. but.. this is fuckin OLDER THAN KZ SERIOUSLY.
i thought everybody knew about it


I thought you quit XJ.

EDIT: Yep Tafatt, that's where I thought this thing would be useful :)

ndR moviemaker Tournament #223/12/2008 21:35(edited 23/12/2008 21:35)

I KNEW IT!!!!

All the old french mappers didn't believe me (Frei etc..) but I was sure about that.
Long time ago somebody started a thread "X-longjumps",
the goal was to jump from 236 to 237 block for example, angle to angle.
I did 231-to-232 in my first movie, look at 13:39 and you will understand what are "X-longjumps" : http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1995586459704194798

The fact is that if you measure 231-to-232, you'll find ~253 units, and I remember somebody analyzed my demo with FPS-Death and found ~247 units :)

This can be very useful in some cases :p


//edit: Taffat was faster :D

SchlumPF23/12/2008 21:40

didnt know about this thread :/
the angle on the pic is 90° cuz nearly all default maps dont use any turned blocks + i checked everything i wrote in the mainpost before i posted it...

@dunc
pls refrain from posting here if you think this is uninteresting -.- learn about hl or simply know that there is something and keep being silly

y i r i23/12/2008 21:44

Did it with 238.X but no demo
Here is 239.5 http://www.sendspace.com/file/dwowxk

SchlumPF23/12/2008 22:35

you asked me why i waste my time with such things so i think yes, you talked to me. i know that most ppl do not care about this. nevertheless there are a few who do care. look at ndRs post and you can see that someone cares.
anyway pls refrain from posting in this topic unless you do not plan to insult.

b2t:
i added my calculation formula to the mainpost, hope someone can confirm that the formula should be correct if my theory is correct too

NeMiQ2223/12/2008 22:48(edited 23/12/2008 22:50)

dunc posting shit in this thread will help you in REAL life?
bye we won't miss you. don't waste your time posting on this page.

OT: never measured it but also did with 240 stats so it's interesting to hear that's actually 245 units if all calculations are right.

SchlumPF23/12/2008 23:05

245 measured BUT in fact a 239.x lj is enough to do the jump. just look at the formula i posted in the mainpost.

Ph0X24/12/2008 09:25(edited 24/12/2008 09:26)

So yeah here's what I got.

I decompiled the map, atfirst my hammer was crashing, but I threw away all the enities and messed with worldspawn and I finally got it to load in hammer

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/3793/12242008031851wg0.png

Didn't bother loading the textures, I just put a random texture on the top of the boxes so they are viewable. Also removed the grid and hid couple brushes

So yea, in the other view, you can see I have both of the top boxes selected, and the size of the entire thing is (208,360). Also, considering that the size of the boxes are (64,64), that makes the distance from a box to the other one:
( 208 - (64 x 2), 360 - (64 x 2) ) = (80,232)

Little math to get the distance, which is == 245.40578640286747776426491765555

So yea, since you got 45.3 in one, 45.6 with plugin, and i got 45.4, maybe the ljstats is fucked? ;o

cC|SpiNe24/12/2008 10:08

Flibo and ShlumPF pwns all stfu.

Cuz I'm not geek enough to understand. Does it work on all diagonal jumps?

SchlumPF24/12/2008 13:58(edited 04/01/2009 07:40)

it just works on jumps which are not parallel to the grids' axis

@Ph0X
you are somehow right buw somehow not :/ have a look on this: http://todome.de/schlumpf/pics/block_length.bmp

this is why i get x.9375 for the y values. thats why i rather checked the values ingame instead of checking it in cs. so if im right the distance which got lost due to compiling is

245.40578640286747776426491765555 - 245.32632922803047557932948608844 = 0.079457174817002184935431567148029

these 0.08 sound really good when you know that a lj usually is lj_distance - 0.0625

calculating this advantage for a 45° angle ( sqroot(2*0.0625*0.0625) ) is 0.88.... which makes this sounding realistic :P

edit:
just ignore those fools in this thread, bibo needs his fame and some guys around him who think he is > chuck norris which he actually is not.

edark is currently celebrating xmas with his familie but he said when he returns he is going to check this out.

if someone still dont believes this or dunno i can upload a demo of a 224 jump, turned to a 45° angle to the grid. i and flibo were able to do it with less than 215 units (only using w and ducking, no strafing). edark got this map to test his on his own.

thopa24/12/2008 16:22(edited 25/12/2008 20:35)

Originally posted by ndR
I KNEW IT!!!!

All the old french mappers didn't believe me (Frei etc..) but I was sure about that.
Long time ago somebody started a thread "X-longjumps",
the goal was to jump from 236 to 237 block for example, angle to angle.
I did 231-to-232 in my first movie, look at 13:39 and you will understand what are "X-longjumps" : http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1995586459704194798

The fact is that if you measure 231-to-232, you'll find ~253 units, and I remember somebody analyzed my demo with FPS-Death and found ~247 units :)

This can be very useful in some cases :p


//edit: Taffat was faster :D



It was me, and here is the thread. :D
http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?31408.post

This was thought about a while ago, but maybe not on the specific "inferno jump". 2 years.. time really pass by quick.

Ph0X25/12/2008 07:38

I still don't get it.

How do those 0.08 unit become 4-5units now?
(Jumping 240 on a 245)

opa25/12/2008 08:48

Originally posted by Ph0X
I still don't get it.

How do those 0.08 unit become 4-5units now?
(Jumping 240 on a 245)

It's just magic!

SchlumPF25/12/2008 15:55(edited 25/12/2008 15:56)

Originally posted by Ph0X
I still don't get it.

How do those 0.08 unit become 4-5units now?
(Jumping 240 on a 245)


not the 0.08, this is just a small advantage the player gains. the biggest advantage is that the players collision model seems not to turn as the players models angles turn. this means the player can jump about sqroot(32*32 + 32*32)-32 units longer than before on a 45° turned lj. that sqroot is just the diagonal within the playermodels basicform

thopa25/12/2008 19:48(edited 25/12/2008 20:48)

Originally posted by SchlumPF
Originally posted by Ph0X
I still don't get it.

How do those 0.08 unit become 4-5units now?
(Jumping 240 on a 245)


not the 0.08, this is just a small advantage the player gains. the biggest advantage is that the players collision model seems not to turn as the players models angles turn. this means the player can jump about sqroot(32*32 + 32*32)-32 units longer than before on a 45° turned lj. that sqroot is just the diagonal within the playermodels basicform


Thought about that too, and tried to paint a picture..

I did use a measure plugin to get the number, but instead of using decimals, I used what's probably the correct Valve hammer editor units, which probably doesn't include decimals.

The left picture shows the distance from corner to corner with Pythagoras, the second shows the theoretical distance the player box is traveling (with pyth).

But when you're jumping you need to stand somewhere when you jump off, and when you land. If I would use 1 unit (just as an example) for the player to jump off from, and to land on, we'd get a slightly longer diagonal distance since the original numbers will change. Anyways, this is probably why you only need to jump ~238-240 to actually land the block.

If you made a perfect jump off, 0.1 units from the edge, and landed 0.1 units onblock, you'd get 237.11 LJ-stats since the diagonal is 236.91 units. But it's hard to get this kind of jump off and landing, so that's why most people successfully land this jump with +239-240 stats.

Picture


Diagonal of first pic:
232²+80² = 60224
sqrt 60224 = 245.40578640...
~245.41 units

Diagonal with 32 unit playerbox:
232²+48² = 56128
sqrt 56128 = 236.9134863..
~236.91 units

Spaniolu25/12/2008 20:18(edited 25/12/2008 20:18)

Ok i understood the "Flibo Bug" theory but i've thinked on another thing:

-link-

Possible?

I mean: if u land with a certain angle u could jump more. Lets say that you are jumping on a 236 block and when u land u turn a little bit... Its possible to do that 236 with less stats?

thopa25/12/2008 20:21(edited 25/12/2008 20:28)

Originally posted by Spaniolu
Ok i understood the "Flibo Bug" theory but i've thinked on another thing:

-link-

Possible?

I mean: if u land with a certain angle u could jump more. Lets say that you are jumping on a 236 block and when u land u turn a little bit... Its possible to do that 236 with less stats?


As far as I've heard the playerbox doesn't angle like that when you are strafing. It's always constant (forward/back/left/right, never diagonal). Sometimes when you are watching demos you see the playerbox under the player as a black square when they die, and if you watch the demo with dem_forcehltv 1 you might see if it will change angle when you are strafing, which it's probably not doing.

Page 2 of 5

Please log in to post replies.