Kz maps in better quality (new map submition

Started by NumB
08/01/2009 02:57
Page 2 of 2
NumB05/03/2009 12:55(edited 05/03/2009 13:00)

It's weird... People who agree with me never post... Yesterday made a little vote from in my friends list. People who liked detail textures were 3 times more... Where they are now...

// edit:

Plus I dont get the point. If you don't like them - r_detailtextures 0. And that's all. But people should have a choice if they want better texture quallity.

raver mapper05/03/2009 13:18

Numb, you need to understand that "r_detailtextures 1" dont produce QUALITY textures. They produce the same texture with a weird noise texture on top of it. Wich looks really ugly.

NumB05/03/2009 14:31(edited 05/03/2009 14:38)

For some people it looks ugly, for some it looks better, and every person should have a choice to enable this half-life engine feature.

Understand, I'm not requesting that there must be a rule that every1 must play with detail textures nomather they like it or not - I'm suggesting a choice for people, so they will be able in useing one more half-life client engine feature what they can enable/disable and use it the way they like it, what is detail textures.

P.S. I still think that people will replay against my suggestion not even reading this post (the way it always happens) and not understanding what I want to say and to do by creating this thread...

// edit:

Here shouldn't even be a discussion about do people like or dislike it, cuz they can enable/disable it the way they like it. People should be discussting here should admins accept this suggestion, so mappers will take 5-10 more minutes to create a feature what can be enabled/disabled depending on how people (not server) like it (like cl_weather or gl_fog).

remake05/03/2009 15:23

This thingy simply sucks..
as a rule - NO. There can't be a rule about making your map uglier than it is.
Most of hl maps uses low-quality textures, so mby it will be better for (source) high-quality textures.

NumB05/03/2009 16:34

I said, that noone wont read my last post, didn't I? :D

Gj, RemaKe.

remake05/03/2009 17:09

it's enough when i read the title and first post..

DiDo-Grecord holder05/03/2009 20:59

lulz :D I dont like this I will save old type :)

Supa05/03/2009 22:31

noise ftl

dEMolite mapper06/03/2009 01:48

Originally posted by raver
Numb, you need to understand that "r_detailtextures 1" dont produce QUALITY textures.


r_detailtextures is good but only if you made the detailtexture yourself and it fits to the texture.

citizenx03/04/2009 08:44

Maybe 1 day this will be option in video settings in cs and css, but today U have to do it by Yourself...I'l try at home on de_dust2:

summary:

open notepad, enter
r_detailtexturessupported 1
r_detailtextures 1
save it, rename to "de_dust2_detail.txt and add to maps folder, and then I'll got the effect You mention. Is that wright?

NumB03/04/2009 09:27(edited 03/04/2009 09:34)

Originally posted by citizenx
Maybe 1 day this will be option in video settings in cs and css, but today U have to do it by Yourself...I'l try at home on de_dust2:

summary:

open notepad, enter
r_detailtexturessupported 1
r_detailtextures 1
save it, rename to "de_dust2_detail.txt and add to maps folder, and then I'll got the effect You mention. Is that wright?

Actually in hl2 engine this feature is enabled by standard and is configurated when mapper creates a map. Dunno is that feature auto or no. But it we aren't talking about hl2 engine here. In cs this feature as a automatic one is impossible. Every map must be configurated for every texture it has. And answer to your question is wrong... Here is how I configrated kzblt_zigzaghop and you will understand that it's not that of what you think of.
[blockquote]
// Detail texture map file for kzblt_zigzaghop level
// Made by Numb
// [texture name] [detail texture name] [hscale] [vscale]

!darkwater3 detail/dt_smooth1 10.0 10.0
!wasserd detail/dt_smooth1 10.0 10.0
bhop detail/dt_metal2 10.0 10.0
black detail/merd_dirt 10.0 10.0
blautrim detail/ridge 1.0 1.0
+0button2 detail/dt_brick 10.0 10.0
+abutton2 detail/dt_brick 10.0 10.0
cr_planeside2 detail/dt_ground3 5.0 5.0
crate_gunF01 detail/dt_wood2 10.0 10.0
e7brnmetal detail/metal 5.0 5.0
gelbtrim detail/ridge 1.0 1.0
kznum0 detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
kznum1 detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
kznum2 detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
kznum3 detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
kznum4 detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
kznum5 detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
kznum6 detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
kznum7 detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
kznum8 detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
kznum9 detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
lab3_w1d detail/ridgetop 1.0 1.0
light2 detail/wall1 10.0 10.0
limestone detail/sturm_dirt 10.0 10.0
meat_metal_gird detail/mountain1 20.0 20.0
meata detail/tiles 1.0 1.0
meatlight detail/sand 5.0 5.0
meataoben detail/tilessm 1.0 1.0
+0miscslight detail/sand 5.0 5.0
+Amiscslight detail/sand 5.0 5.0
out_ground4 detail/dt_grass1 2.0 2.0
pi_grnmetalt detail/dt_metal1 5.0 5.0
pi_rockbase detail/dt_rock1 2.0 2.0
pipe_wall1_2 detail/wall 10.0 10.0
rdbrick detail/dt_ground4 8.0 8.0
rdbrick_ivy detail/dt_ground4 8.0 8.0
rdbrickneu2 detail/dt_ground4 8.0 8.0
rdbrickscharf detail/dt_ground4 8.0 8.0
reflect1 detail/dt_plaster2 20.0 20.0
rubble3_1 detail/dt_stone1 10.0 10.0
scroll_endtext detail/mountain1 20.0 20.0
scroll_wassaer detail/dt_smooth1 10.0 10.0
sidelight detail/sand 5.0 5.0
T_garagedr detail/dt_wood1 10.0 10.0
T_garagedr8_2 detail/metal 10.0 10.0
T_trim02 detail/metal 10.0 10.0
T_trim03 detail/metal 10.0 10.0
tk_rust detail/rock 2.0 2.0
wall_rohr detail/sturm_rubble 5.0 5.0
+0warning detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
+1warning detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
+2warning detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
+3warning detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
+4warning detail/merd_dirt 5.0 5.0
xen_wall14 detail/dt_stone4 2.0 2.0

[/blockquote]

Originally posted by VoDkA`BoY
lulz :D I dont like this I will save old type :)

There is nothing to save. It's a client side feature what can be enabled/disabled like cl_weather. Only this one uses r_detailtextures cvar.

Originally posted by raver
Numb, you need to understand that "r_detailtextures 1" dont produce QUALITY textures.

Actually I understand that it doesn't change the quality of texture, but however it can make texture look more detailed.

Originally posted by dEMolite
r_detailtextures is good but only if you made the detailtexture yourself and it fits to the texture.

Actually cz standard detail textures can fit in any texture. You only need to find a detail what fits the most with current texture and balance it with scales.

I already talked with you about it, but you went offline before me finishing. Remember this?:
Your detail texture for one-wall.
Your detail texture for one-wall (view 2).
Original cz detail texture for that wall.
Original cz detail texture for that wall (view 2).

Your texture is like you said "made the detailtexture yourself" (you made that one). To fit it perfectly I made scale 1 and 1 (so it not only should but and must fit perfectly).
Anyway, when I showed you images you said that I made scale bad and thats why they do not fit. But scale is perfect for this detail texture. Now I want to ask you. Do specially created detail textures fit better than original cz ones (detail texture idea is to make texture more detailed, and not to change its color or just remove this feature)? Yes you can say that you can create it just like the real texture (like detail texture generator). But I once tested it. It doesn't change anything. The texture what were before didn't change at all - no difference when switching r_detailtextures cvar.

everest03/04/2009 10:16(edited 03/04/2009 10:20)

jumping map will be nice with detail textures bcz w/o cs is really ugly :D it changes little but still

dEMolite mapper03/04/2009 21:55

because my texture was only an example, because you didn't understood what i mean with greyscaled texture. so i made that out of nowhere from the standard texture.

Good it has atm wrong offsets numbers in the textfile and has the wrong size for being a detailtexture (http://demolite.climbers-germany.de/kzlt_arabhop0000.jpg) but you can check it out yourself how the detailtexture will looks like:

Open photoshop copy the original texture in a new picture and now copy the detail texture over. give that section where the detailtexture is the overlay function and you will see it how it would look ingame.

NumB03/04/2009 23:15

Originally posted by dEMolite
because my texture was only an example, because you didn't understood what i mean with greyscaled texture. so i made that out of nowhere from the standard texture.

Good it has atm wrong offsets numbers in the textfile and has the wrong size for being a detailtexture (http://demolite.climbers-germany.de/kzlt_arabhop0000.jpg) but you can check it out yourself how the detailtexture will looks like:

Open photoshop copy the original texture in a new picture and now copy the detail texture over. give that section where the detailtexture is the overlay function and you will see it how it would look ingame.


Not bad, but I still am more willing to stick with my way, cuz that one... It's not enough detailed and dunno how for others, but for me it's still more ugly than original cz textures. =P

mtoboiii8000 mapper03/04/2009 23:49

Well if you want to make detail textures for every map, then well knock yourself out xD
I dont wanna make a map that has the option of looking ugly in my eyes lol.

mtoboiii8000 mapper05/04/2009 15:54

no defending comment???? :P ;)

Alucard^03/06/2009 05:46

i dont know why ppl dont like it the textures but... i love it... and are very good for editing....

becouse my english is not very good i am not sure about some things... i donwloaded some details textures (*.txt) but where i need to put thats? in maps folders or what?)...

and i need textures like this but with surf maps... so i asking... how can i do this textures? u can give me some tips numb? the basic...

for example u use that program? http://www.fpsbanana.com/tools/1159

thx to much...

faxity03/06/2009 09:47

this shouldn't get forced on map creators :s

Page 2 of 2

Please log in to post replies.