Want some questions answered :)

Started by owned
07/07/2009 19:07
Page 1 of 2
owned07/07/2009 19:07

1. What FPS do you use to record the movies in HLAE?
2. In VDUB what FPS do you use to save the movie file as?
3. What FPS do you want to rerender the movie file from VDUB as?
4. When your project is complete, what FPS do you save the movie as?

st0ka07/07/2009 19:21(edited 07/07/2009 19:21)

1. 90
2. I often skip the VDUB part but if you do prefer that kind of workflow you better keep the same fps as the one you used to render out of CS
3. #2
4. I often work entirely in AE and I maintain the 90 fps there. So when it comes to compositing, I have plenty of options to choose, but I often stick with the 30 fps. However, if your encoding isn't that cpu expensive when it comes to playback rate, then you can use 60fps for smoother motion.

w1zzrecord holder07/07/2009 20:56

1.250
2.250
3.#2
4.50 fps in vegas

owned08/07/2009 00:03

Ok, would like some more answers, wanna see the medians.

I use:
1. 99
2. 99
3. 99
4. 99

jаss0n08/07/2009 00:12(edited 08/07/2009 00:13)

you cant rend 90 fps in Vegas
150 cs
150 VD
40-50 vegas

owned08/07/2009 01:30

Yes you can, i've done it before.

boom.dll08/07/2009 08:27

1. 120
2. 120
3. 120
4. 30/40 fps (depends on how fast the movie is)

level2 08/07/2009 12:05

120
30
30
30

k a f f e e08/07/2009 13:59

well the capture fps always depends on the scene, for me it varies from 100 for a speedup to 2000 fps for a xtreme-slowmo. usually it looks like this

1. 300 fps
2. 300 fps
3. isn't that exactly the same thing?
4. 30 fps

noddan08/07/2009 14:54

1.200
2.200
3. ?
4. 30

rK08/07/2009 17:03(edited 08/07/2009 17:03)

After several tests and movies I came to these settings which seem to be best for me:

1. 300 fps
2. 285 fps (90%)
3. rerender? the files are saved on avi uncompressed..
4. Mostly 29.970 fps (NTSC). Imo more fps than 30 only cause worse quality on same bitrate. Blu-ray movies have best fluidness comparing to tv movies or dvd movies. They are saved with 24 fps and tv or dvd movies have 25-30. So the render fps dont give you the smoothness, its more the bitrate (which is on ~40mbit/s on blu-ray and on 4mbit/s on dvd)

owned08/07/2009 18:53

For question 3 i mean if you take your avi file from VDUB and put it into vegas and resave it to compress it more.

rK08/07/2009 19:58

and why we should do that? every compression cause worse quality / quality loss.

boom.dll08/07/2009 20:32(edited 08/07/2009 20:32)

+1 rK

just use a lossless codec, like huffyuv or lagarith when u save the avi in vdub :)

st0ka08/07/2009 23:27

I think owned was talking about changing the fps there? On my old pc, when I had hdd space issues, I used to convert my 90fps movie in vegas to 30fps, again uncompressed and work with the 30fps file. Then you have the frameblending and the lower filesize on your hdd, still if you have to use slowmotion, it will be all laggy. Depends on what you plan with the movie. Most of the time, I know exactly which jump will be slowed down etc., so I render them with higher fps beforehand, but if you don't work this way, you'll have troubles with the 30fps vid, you want to edit.

owned09/07/2009 05:29

Well, what I've done lately is:

1. Record movie in HLAE @ 99 fps
2. Render movie with VDUB @ 99 fps; filesize: 624mb~
3. Load that file into Vegas and re-render @ 99fps w/ x264 codec; filesize: 1.3mb, no quality loss
4. Make movie in Vegas and render @ 99fps with x264 codec. Video plays back around 4 times + start/end credits; filesize: 19mb, no quality loss.

I'll upload all three files if you really want to see them.

jаss0n09/07/2009 08:01

how can rend with 90 fps in Vegas? give a picture please

owned09/07/2009 16:08

http://i25.tinypic.com/ildu1s.jpg

i just change the frame rate to a custom value

http://i30.tinypic.com/dnd7a1.jpg

rK09/07/2009 16:39(edited 09/07/2009 16:41)

Originally posted by owned
4. Make movie in Vegas and render @ 99fps with x264 codec. Video plays back around 4 times + start/end credits; filesize: 19mb, no quality loss.


sure you have quality loss, even a big quality loss.

I always wonder people talking about moviemaking/compression methods and they dont even know a shit about compression and stuff (no offence to you). I think you should learn what a gop is and how a compression works before you use this way of using less hdd space.

owned09/07/2009 16:47

I personally don't see any quality difference between the compressed video and uncompressed file, really I don't. Even if it's the smallest loss it doesn't generally effect the outcome.

Page 1 of 2

Please log in to post replies.