Gravity (Highjumps)
Some weeks ago i made a simple map to do some simple research about why it is so hard to make a longjump (or a regular jump) that is positioned very high from the ground. Jumps similar to the one at the beginning of kz_man_ultrablock, the 238 jump at kz_xj_3ways, the lj after the 235 on in_extreme and that jump in the 2nd room of kz_man_halloween with a 1 unit thin ledge to your right.
Map:
http://rapidshare.de/files/25999586/gravity_research.rar.html
Some info:
If a jump is positioned less than 70 units (0 to 69) from the ground - the gravity is normal.
If a jump is positioned more than 69 units (70 to X) the gravity changes, and it becomes much harder to make a regular jump or longjump. Your strafes gets very wierd and you cant control your player as good as you can on lower jumps. Your movements feels very heavy, like you are jumping with sv_gravity 1000.
If you place two brushes/shelfs at the height of 1000 units. Make the gap between them 225 units and try jump it. Due to its height of 1000 units, down to the ground, the gravity plays tricks with you - and the jump feels like +240units.
If u now use the same jump, but you create a shelf below this lj. Place is somewhere in between 0-69 units below the lj. Make it cover the whole gap (between the two shelfes). And now try to jump. Piece of cake! - Cuz the gravity now is normal, even though there is still 1000 units to the ground. But the shelf you put below the lj worked like magic.
I have no answer of why the HL engine is made this way. Im convinced its only some crazy bug, because i cant understand its purpose.
Wasnt actually gonna post this thread(/and map), but i thought someone might be interested, and maybe many mapmakers didnt know this either.
And no complaints on my map. Its ugly i know :)
-------- EDIT --------
A trick to make these jumps easier is to jump much earlier than you would if there would be a regular (non-high: 0-69) longjump.
What i mean by that is:
Instead of jumping at the very edge you should lift like 10 units before the edge. This demands you to change your longjump technique slightly, but when you get a hang of it high longjumps will be much easier. Of course a 220 will be like ~230 if you jump earlier. But its still much easier imo.
If you jump like this your first strafe will not be affected by the gravity. And its the first strafe that will be very heavy if you'd jump from the edge.
So jumping a 224 high-lj like on in_extreme (and kz_cg_extreme) with this technique will be easy with only 1 strafe (+prestrafe)
Try it out and see for yourself :)
--- Edit #2 ---
I changed the subject name, and suddenly the thread fell out of the "sticky".
[ Edited ]
very good job, I always asked myselve why these highjumps are that hard.
after playing your map my conlcusion still is:
normal lj: big and nice strafes.
highjumps: smaller and faster strafes, mixed up with circle strafes.
A good example for a gay highjump for example is the downfall LJ @ rabbithighway imo. I can only do it with LUCK @ 6 strafes, BUT i can do it pretty easy and stable with circle strafes :)
Good circle strafer are flaip and Tjubby, both did 250 (lj thread) with a mix of normal and circle strafes :)
the hardest high long jump in all of kz is the 238 at the end of kz xj 3 ways, when the floor is not broken its easy i can knife it but when the floor breaks i can only scout it after 20 tries. i awlays wondered why that 238 was so hard when theres no floor :|
Its pretty funny you mention this becuase I am currently working on a new map and I had this very same problem. I have a jump positioned pretty high in the room and its only 208 units, but when I test compiled the map I was like "WTF is this? Why cant I make this simple 208 unit jump?!" Then I thought to myself maybe im just having a really bad off day. So the next day I tried it again a bunch of times and I still could not make this jump. So now im like, okay maybe I counted the units wrong on Hammer. So I checked and double checked and indeed it is 208 units.
Now I understand why it seems so damn hard. Nice post, very useful.
wow...great job...but i also have a few questions regarding circle strafes...are they as effective as regular strafes...and how exactly do you do them because i've tried but im not sure if i'm doing it right...i would like to learn because they feel more comfortable to me as opposed to regular strafes
well, I know that T3d did 249 units with 2 full circles and some other guys did 250 with an mix of regular strafes and circles, looks like they are pretty effective too.
I try to do 245 with pure circle strafing later, and try to explain the technique to you
Spaceman Spiff, no, Alts!cH would never use circle strafes. He thinks they're gay :p
I dunno about this circle strafing thing. I can't see any reason why they would be better than regular strafes...
Spaceman Spiff, no, Alts!cH would never use circle strafes. He thinks they're gay :p
I dunno about this circle strafing thing. I can't see any reason why they would be better than regular strafes...
They can't be any better than regular strafing.. but it might be easier for some to use circlestrafe than regular strafing. And if so it does get you further :)
I also think that the circular strafes are better for highjumps ... i do the nuke rock to rock longjump with like 3 circular strafes and 5 normal ones ... i also do jumps like the sc @ cg_industry way easier with circular strafes
btw hanniball is a gewd circular straf0r ;)
arF told me about the bug at the beginning of my jumping :)
+2 years ago ~
[ Edited Sat Jul 22 2006, 02:09AM ]
w00t this why the world needs geeks and nerds
no offense thopa :P i am a nerd too, but not in this kinda stuff lol
Instead of jumping at the very edge you should lift like 10 units before the edge.
Actually I've thought about this too... it makes your prestrafe acceleration normal because you get the acceleration from your prestrafe before the height-difference comes. And it's the height difference that makes it hard to get a good acceleration from prestrafe.
So this was not really anything new for me, more like I got this confirmed.
i always thought that the textures and the friction of that ones were the responsables of make that kind of jumps, harders... very nice job thopa
this concludes something:
CS has THE worst physics ever OMG
my bros always like, can you jump around a corner in REAL life?? haha wish i could :\
I think: Circular strafes are easier to cordinate your mouse with your keyboard, 'cause you have to change the strafe key exactly when you change your mouse direction, with the circles the direction change is less violent & maybe you can cordinate better your fingers this way
ye but if u can handle normal strafes they are better or the same the simple looks better :P
you're right InseN... I like normal strafes :P
normal strafes is the best:) circle i have no chance of doing more than 247 :S
great job thopa,thanks a lot for this useful info :)
Normal strafe ftw... just cant get the hang of the circle strafes... :E
circles are easier to handle than normal imo , they are like the same , simply lookin different :)
Please log in to post replies.