Disappointed.
Hello,
My name is Kosmo; I’m from Australia and use the alias Lagster, I have been around the kz community for approximately 5 years. This rant is very overdue but after reading about the kz league coming up I felt as though I should finally let the admins and the rest of XJ know what I think. I would firstly like to point out that none of this is out of jealousy, everything I have done (which I will get to in a second) was done to help this community and try and keep kz moving forward, because let’s be honest, 5 years on and off I really can’t seem to get away from the game, I honestly love it, or at least I used too.
Many of you remember, actually probably not because it’s all new idiots I’ve never heard of but some of you may remember MugNMouse. After being involved with kz for 3 years and having held the Australian community up for so long I decided I would have a crack at really improving the quality of the game on an international front, after approaching MugNMouse, a somewhat famous North American eSports team, and receiving a positive response I got straight to work on trying to build a solid foundation in which I could make it all happen. I started with the recruitment of friends and formed a team which could represent MNM within KZ and then moved on to focusing on tournament ideas and putting these ideas into work.
With the help of loveinabottle and heL we were able to set up 4 tournaments; 1 league, 1 worldcup, 1 2v2 comp and a longjump orientated competition, our aim was to cater to every aspect of kz and even looked into running a HNS comp later down the line. Each of these tournaments had rules, specific numbers and for the world cup had 16 countries with teams of 4 confirmed. We were sponsored 3 servers, we had a server in Europe, a server in America and a server that catered to Australasia with another 2 servers we were looking into for public play. Once all of this was set in stone with what I thought was through the support of XJ (thopa) we were quick to get negative responses, being told we would fail, being told there was no point. Once zhady and other arrogant misc’s started posting, like always, the XJ kids followed. I always found it a bit disappointing that players like zhady were quick to put down such ideas, even when he spoke privately with Mehz about joining as long as he could get some ‘free stuff’. This is ridiculous. I am constantly baffled by players like this, put on a keen face to the community and act like they care when in actual fact there is always some sort of hidden agenda, I am still unable to work out how your comments helped with the project at all, but as long as you get your free gaming gear right zhady?
I also was mildly entertained when community members started putting down the idea but days later would apply as players and/or admins. Complete contradictions, but that has always been the case at XJ. Each of our tournaments we had set up were completely sponsored by MNM through SteelSeries, just thought I would add that to the record.
Lets talk about recent events, because there is no reason to dwell in the past. So, between the inactivity of MNM.kz and now, I received constant PM’s about if it’s still happening, and questions about what’s going on which I had no real answer for, until last month, when the CEO of MNM approached me to ask where the kz team stood, my immediate answer was ‘inactive’ but he again offered to help us out and offered up MNM’s resources again. So I started talking to people and put together a team again, the response from people I spoke to was very positive everything was looking great; I then proceeded to try and talk to faker about the possibility of running these tournaments alongside XJ. At no point was I or any of the others involved trying to take over or ever take control, every action in relation to MNM was purely based on the game, kz. Faker’s response seemed very positive and I was very pleased that despite my shaky past at XJ, we were able to talk about the project. The last I heard was that it was up to the admins at XJ, now with ndR and chrizZo being a part of both the old and the recent MNM, I felt I was pretty safe in assuming I would get a proper response. I was wrong. I stopped hearing from faker and the very very last I heard about all of it was from chrizZo which was ‘XJ waits for MNM’. Silly response and is far from fair. I was never able to gain a proper insight into chrizZos thoughts on MNM, he would tell me he was keen to join but then be against the idea which is ridiculous. So feel free to tell me what you really think chrizZo, interested to know. The only time I ever heard your opinion was when you told me you thought prizes were a ridiculous idea, I don’t think many would agree, if anything prizes are incentive to keep players playing but doesn’t matter anymore.
So what was the point to my excessive rant? I am shocked, I honestly am. I could almost bet anything on the fact that the posts that follow this rant will be all the same, and will all be something similar about how dumb the project was but that’s the point. No one will ever know the time and effort I put into trying to make MNM work, and I don’t want to hear ‘oh but we didn’t ask for it’ because in actual fact ALL I GOT behind closed doors was positive responses AND the amount of times I hear people complaining about the game not moving forward is ridiculous. Nothing that I did could of harmed or made the game any worse so I am pretty pissed off. All I needed faker, chrizzo, ndR was a simple ‘No’ and I would of saved myself and many others a lot of time. And why today? Because I had come to my own conclusion that fine, the community is obviously happy with just world records and what not, no need for a league or anything else related to tournaments but I wake up to see that now, XJ is running a league! and with 13 people? We had like 50 people confirmed for ours until the community started posting dumb shit saying how pointless a league really is.
This community is horrid. You go into a longjump thread and read 20 of the same responses, lets say the thread is someone asking about maxspeed, scroll down to see “try make your strafes wider†“oh wider strafes†“hey dude make your strafes bigger†“hej strafe larger big :E†and so on, all the kids on this site care about is +1’s and in no way shape or form does it help anyone. You ban players like Hazard who give proper responses over RAJU and other ‘trolls’ running around the forums like immature idiots. So I guess it was stupid of me to assume that any of what I was doing would gain any sort of support.
To summarize I am disappointed. Disappointed not only in myself for putting effort into something that I should of known wouldn’t work, but I am disappointed with the admins, chrizZo I have known you for god knows how long, the least you could do is give me a proper response. Even when Hazard asked you via Steam what was going on, you would ignore him. The only admin that was able to see the worth was thopa, too bad hes gone now I guess.
Despite the teams work all we heard was ‘we are busy’ which is fine, and I told faker there was no rush, but I just find it ironic that while XJ is ‘busy’ they are setting up a smaller, more stagnant league that I would guess will go about as well as the prochallenge went.
I would love to hear what people have to say, if you signed up last week, don’t post. If I’ve never heard of you, don’t post. I have heard enough from ignorant players, I want a real response.
Thanks,
Kosmo.
Probably the best thread Ive ever read on this entire website, so much for forward movement you ignorant children.
Problem with MugNMouse for my part was the extremely poor advertisement. I was kind of excited about it when I read the news (somehwere, XJ?), alot famous players and seemed really official. And that was the last time I heard about it... Seriously, I had forgotten the whole thing after a week since nothing moved.
I use XJ for the KZ news mainly, maybe I was just too lazy to find out what was going on. I would've thought the biggest KZ representative (XJ) would've said something in their frontpage. I'm not saying it's XJ's fault because I don't know did the MNM ask for XJ to post the news or anything similar, but it should have been in the news for MNM to expand.
I understand your anger Lagster, I do. I see it differently, KZ was way more popular then, alot more recorders were active. It was still like the first month of dating for KZ, people did it alot. Nowadays, not so many are recording and this ladder thing is what people need and want, to spice up the "relationship".
My guess MNM was just bad timing, this thing happens in business life ALL THE TIME. Some business's are just ahead of their time.
To clear it up, it may have been bad timing when MNM died last, but timing has nothing to do with XJ ignoring MNM for the second time whilst creating a league of their own.
dude u always know that I am with you I told you that when u pm me about this I will help you with anything , didnt knew that xj acted so .. "retarded" . I am "amazed" from xj ... that is a very big mistake ! I hoped that someday kz will be like shooting but , I knew that this will never happen . It was easy to be seen that xj is just a community that release world records. Someone will say that the cups are like tournaments but no , the cups were set up .. I remember I tried to be in top3 in cups 3 months but a cupadmin , dunno who always created cups at night when no one is online and always same guys win the cup prizes that are very funny. For 5-6 years xj had no sponsors that could help alot for making the game bigger and bigger , they just have server sponsors ... So one day I heard about mnm's things and I was really happy that kz is growing but the days go by and today I realised that one community full of retards ( i am not saying that i am not ) and nolifers changed the kreedz grow up . I think that XJ cant control kz, because they dont have the power to control it so I think that the guy that created this game called kreedz must come back and start to lead up a new community that helps to push up the kreedz in new better times. But I think kreedz dont care... sorry for my uber english .
Well, the last 2 tournaments of XJ were total fail, so I guess they're just afraid to be responsible for a tournament that is only partially assiocated with this community.
Well first of all, if you wanted me to formulate my thoughts so you can understand them, why didn't you ask once again?
XJ supports any good ideas others have, but before we do, something has already been accomplished. You said: "soon we will have leagues, cups, tournaments" whatever... What should we do then?
When MNM would have started a league, you would get support by XJ. But you did not, nothing happened.
Don't know what more to say.
Shit community with shit administration. Honestly, something needs to change. Nice post Lagsta, I wasn't that aware of this but I was aware that the community is filled with immature pricks and the admins seem really lazy and uncoordinated.
Just bullshit..
I started to feel really sorry for you Lagster, I hope your projects will get support in future. MNM sounded like a great idea back-in-a-days. Hopefully you still have ardor and will using your time to good ideas and projects that would develop kreedz better way.
XJ's upcoming cup sounds good thou the fact that cup servers become "record holders" server in weird.
If it helps you anyhow, I really appriciate your effort. By that I mean all you worked for MNM and time you used writing maybe the best post in XJ history.
Ye i agree with subwayz with the record holders.On the post that Lagster made i think that changing something involves a lot of work from a lot of peope... and time ofc
I honestly only heard about mNm one or maybe two times. And that was when it got started I guess and there was some news post or weekly post about the team looking for members or something.
I didn't hear about it again for a long time, so I thought it was dead, and that was what I heard from members like Mehz to, who from what I remember was one of the admins?
Anyway, it seems like there was some miscommunication between you and some of the admins, and it sucks that you had to put down so much work for nothing.
I can say that we have been working on a ladder system for quite some time also. Sorting out different systems and getting in new admins who could code pages and administrate it has taken some time also, and the one you see in news post right now is more of a test ladder.
XJ has supported tournaments and cups from other big communitys before, so it just looks like you weren't able to convince the admins that you had a ready ladder system that could be supported by XJ. If it was ready why didn't you just run the ladder system on the mNm site? And when it was up and running XJ could help you promote it. Smaller communitys run cups and tournaments all the time. Or was the idea to have XJ run it all or what?
I might be wrong about all of it because I don't really know what have been said between you and the admins.
Just seems like it wasn't "lobbied" well enough.
Originally posted by pizza^Shit community with shit administration. Honestly, something needs to change. Nice post Lagsta, I wasn't that aware of this but I was aware that the community is filled with immature pricks and the admins seem really lazy and uncoordinated.
Just bullshit..
Well I see your doing your part in trying to make it better anyway by posting constructive comments like that...talk about immaturity.
Leagues/ladders has been attempted many times, and may I say that more then half of the time it has ended in failure, so I wouldn't say this is very special. The thing is, however, that you imply that XJ's staff is the reason why your league didn't go as planned isn't exactly correct.
XJ would support your league if we had witnessed your system and seen it run. Maybe start up a small league over at MNM. Once we knew you had put your finishing touches to your project, we would support any special league/ladder posted on MnM, if requested.
Personally, as a new admin, I didn't know of the ladder that was created before today when it was posted on the news. It might have been that I simply somehow missed it when I roamed the admin discussions, but I didn't know about it.
It's really sad to work for nothing, I know how you feel. I've done so once, I believe I still own the kz-league.com domain ^^. Anyway, that was a failure, as we would have to conflict with MnM at that time, while loveinabottle was trying to sabotage us. Anyway, I am sorry it ended unsuccessfully, I hope that this failure won't ruin your motivation in the future.
Please, if you can show us your system, involve us slightly more, I am sure we can support your league here on XJ.
sry for offtopic, but in my half asleep daze i talked with hazard about this last night.
subwayz, i dont think the cup server is turning into anything. i dont even know if thats the server that will be used, but whats the problem? its empty 23 hours of the day anyway, and chrizzos idea is 30 min at a time, hardly gonna monopolize the server use..
Yeah Omilo it's gotten to the point where constructive critism doesn't really do justice around here.
sorry but im too lazy to read all this..
nice written or something
I appreciate the responses guys but juleeeh/omilo, everything I did was meant to revolve around XJ, I was trying to help, not undercut and do my own thing on the side, I offered resources to XJ (which mind you, they don't have) which up until I noticed the league, I assumed they wanted to use.
I feel that if anything in kz is to succeed it needs to be done on one site. The game is too small for this and that, I was under the impression that these tournaments would work under the roof of XJ, because that is the only way that any league/tournament ANYTHING in kz actually has a chance. I wish the admins had been straight up with me, sure its fine for you guys to ignore and pretend I’m not PM’ing you but I’m the one that has to tell people “FAKER SAID HE WOULD GET BACK TO ME A WEEK AGO, SO I SHOULD RECEIVE A PM ANY DAY NOW, JUST WAIT!†so it’s just ridiculous.
edit: And can we please keep in mind this wasn't a small set of leagues nor was it something I just whipped up in a day, it was completely sponsored which I had to go back and tell people "Sorry the community doesn't want it"
too bad tournametns/leagues would be awesome..
Originally posted by kaynesorry but im too lazy to read all this..
nice written or something
best post ever!
Originally posted by pizza^Yeah Omilo it's gotten to the point where constructive critism doesn't really do justice around here.
Sorry but its still not fair to flame.
Thanks lagster for all information already forgotten this.
And for sure i can understand you, gj for speding so much time in it and i feel sorry for u.
The last tries with cups, tournaments and whatever where a fail but xj should try to do it again and again till it works cause it would be really enyojable and nice for the most users.
Ok, where to start.
First of all I did a mistake indeed, because I forgot to answer you, that's right. I'm very sorry for keeping you waiting on this Lagster, however the answer you were waiting for would've been a negative one anyway.
I was really being honest to you since minute one when you messaged me via PM, I said that it sounds like a great idea, but I don't have resources and enough spare time to take care of such a project myself, which was and still is true. However, I offered you to post a thread in the admin area to tell everyone about your idea and find some admins that could support you and help you making your idea come true.
And that's what I did after a slight delay (for which I excused via PM if I remember right), the thread was created @ 03/16/10 - 22:25:19. This thread can be found here in the admin area (in case any of the admins forget about it): http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?210561
In this thread people talked about experiences in the past, such as kz-league.com, and their negative outcome. They liked the idea, but the consent was kinda skeptical, thinking that advanced coordination and planning was required in order to get this working - and that it would be the best to see this thing actually running first, instead of trying to run such a project on XJ from the beginning and then maybe having another project that turned out as a breakdown.
To put it in a nutshell: People only saw that you were having a very bare idea of "making the community a better place" and no big master plan or at least a concrete concept behind it for that particular tournament, that's probably why nobody did step forward and said "I want to make this happen and I'm going to support this project".
After the main discussion was over I wanted to wait for a few days or even a week or two before I had to come back to you with that sad news, to see if anyone was maybe changing his opinion, but that didn't happen. Because I'm running a bunch of other projects for XJ at the moment and a lot of stuff is going on in my real life I have to say that I forgot about the (kinda "denied") tournament a week later, and forgot to give you all this Intel, before I saw this thread.
Once again, I'm very sorry for this, shouldn't happen to a CEO to forget about such things, but in the end it would have probably be the same outcome, wouldn't it?
Other than that I can just agree with chrizZo and juleeeh that it has been on our agenda to establish a working league system for years, but this is probably the hardest thing to do in the kz world ever. Just look at sites like clanbase or ESL, they have VERY complex scripts behind their leagues, and such scripts need to be written. XJ had no coder for a long time, but all that might change in the future with m0ver (<3). Also another person is working on such a project, and I hope I'll have new information about all this very soon. The current project by chrizZo is a manual system and more of a test, if (worst case) it would work this way as well.
-
pizza^: Comments like yours make me really really mad, it took ALL of my maturity (since you talked about "maturity") to stay calm on this one, believe me. I understand your frustration, but WHO IN GODS NAME are you to think you can judge about us? Have you ever tried to achieve something instead of sitting there and "receiving" the work other people do and then think you could be judging? Do you have any idea what amount of life-time (and even money) we have spend (and still do) for this project, to give the whole KZ community a place to be? Instead of posting stuff like that, why don't you try to step out and try to build a better place for the sake of the community, if you think this place is so horrible? Freedom of choice man...
Please log in to post replies.