Question: "New hj technique?" by Pu

Started by jack frog
23/10/2010 01:11
Page 1 of 2
jack frog23/10/2010 01:11(edited 23/10/2010 01:14)

Hello everybody

Since I'm scared to bump old topics lately, I decided to open a new thread about this. I'm mainly talking about this topic http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?63696.0 . The user Pulsar! posted a new technique for highjumping 3 years ago. I came to this thread by browsing old topics and found it quite intresting. However, I wanted to ask you if someone can send me the demo of FoF's 242 HJ (Page 8, second post), because the links are down today, or any other demos using this technique. It sounds intresting to me and I would like to try it out atleast.

I'd like to know also if that technique is still in use or dead by now. Has it potential to break the current HJ WR or was 242 Units the maximum FoF could reach?


Thanks in advance

Greetings

Ggs`23/10/2010 01:45

Ohh, remember this thread :) nice bump! I've done 238hj with 244 stat. With that technique really hard to do good distance. Hope sometime someone push forward hj records this way. :first:

BBBsonny23/10/2010 05:54

im pretty sure avatar done 244 hj with 252 units this way, but dont have the demo anymore

DiDo-Grecord holder23/10/2010 08:57

stop talking about avatar one of the biggest cheater evah lol

Pulsar!23/10/2010 12:40(edited 23/10/2010 13:54)

Well, yeah fof did 242 i am sure it is not the limit.

I believe there is a huge potential of this technique. Edgefriction area may change form 13,6 to 0 units depends on angle between moving vector and edge in the moment of jump off. EF_AREA=13,6*sin(a). The more paralel to edge your moving vector - less edgefriction area is.

Sadly, i have not fof's demo anymore.

I think the key to do a good HJ with that technique is to jump of in paralel of the edge and do first strafe in opposite direction to prestrafe.

S3eKeR23/10/2010 13:28

Originally posted by VoDkA`BoY
stop talking about avatar one of the biggest cheater evah lol


nah i cheat even more imo.

Ovidiu Dumitru23/10/2010 14:15(edited 23/10/2010 14:16)

Originally posted by Pulsar!
I think the key to do a good HJ with that technique is to jump of in paralel of the edge and do first strafe in opposite direction to prestrafe.

I remember trying this technique when I was still an active jumper (I saw FoF doing it and I felt in love for it). I got to 238hj taking into consideration that before trying this technique I was struggling for 225hj. Oh, and this happened within the first hour of practicing.

So I'm absolutely sure that if this technique can be mastered, we could see many new wrs.

alfredoboi23/10/2010 17:34(edited 23/10/2010 21:33)

Yeah I remember this thread aswell, I don't even think I was registered there haha, but just reading through old topics when I was bored.
But honestly, if you can do 250+ with 3 strafes, then you can do 20+ HJ aswell with a weird prestrafe. I think it's a question about doing the pre as parallel to edge as possible, but still only as parallel that you still can do the first strafe without too much airtime. It's like DCJ, if we geek it we'll master it in the end. I have no fucking idea why it hasn't been geeked more, it's damn useful.

I look forward to see some sick wr's with this technique :D

kREWAN23/10/2010 18:09

Can someone do a demo of the technique 'cause I don't get the picture o.O

Strafe.tR23/10/2010 18:37

Originally posted by kREWAN
Can someone do a demo of the technique 'cause I don't get the picture o.O


+1

sparkEE23/10/2010 20:15(edited 23/10/2010 20:16)

Originally posted by Strafe.tR
Originally posted by kREWAN
Can someone do a demo of the technique 'cause I don't get the picture o.O


+1

1+ demo will be good :D

jimbo24/10/2010 16:58

what about a prestrafe like this?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rwj4v1
even 0 jumpoff should be possible with some geeking

BBBsonny25/10/2010 08:15(edited 25/10/2010 08:15)

Originally posted by VoDkA`BoY
stop talking about avatar one of the biggest cheater evah lol



Stop talking with me and btw avatar is comapred too u a very nice person.

FoF mapper07/12/2010 19:38(edited 07/12/2010 20:10)

Well first of all it's hard to call this a technique. It's more a knowledge about edgefriction and HL engine.
Here's the draft I made to explane something: http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/923/edgefrictionexplanation.png

As my experience tells, the biggest problem is to make a correct first strafe because on it depends the whole trajectory of the jump and the speed.
in picture 1 you can see a regular prestrafe with regular strafes. Everybody does longjumps with some angle and lets say in my draft the movement angle was ~60. Aproximate trajectory (in orange) is kinda straight but the problem is that edgefriction is kinda big. (13,6 * sin(60) = ~11,77units) So the best you can win there is ~2units. And your highjump should be similar to longjump what is good because everybody is used to perform their longjump strafes.

Picture2:
Lets say we are going to perform HJ with lesser ange, lets say ~30. Edge friction here comes ~6,8units. But the problem goes in our trajectory. The orange line shows it's aproximation. As you can see it's longer than the grey one (regular distance between blocks). Why we have to make first (blue) strafe that long? It's just because if you would try to make it regular (like in Picture3) you will lose speed. Therefore the question is about finding perfect angle and first strafe (which influence the trajectory of jump or in other words - the whole jump distance you need to fly to get successful landing)

in Picture4 if a player wanna try an uber small angle jump (let's say ~15degrees). We got a very big problem because first strafe have to be so big unless you wanna get a speedloss. Edgefriction ofc here becomes only ~3,5units.

Aproximate trajectory can be found using Pitagor theory. More precise distance you can find using circle bend formula (count each strafe and sum them).
So in the 2nd and 4th picture we have a difference between regular distance you have to jump = h1, and the actual aproximate trajectory you have to fly in air - h2. And the result is h1 < h2.

Accordingly the problem is to find the best angle you are comfortable with. So you could recude edgefriction and still manage your first strafe.

FoF mapper07/12/2010 20:17

another thing I had in head for a long time was a block type. I remember it was so difficult to get a decent speed if you wanna jump with a small angle. Therefore I was thinking about such blocks or smth: http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2249/blocktype.png

Torex-):-D moviemaker07/12/2010 20:22

awesome post FoF! now lets start geekingg!

mJauZ^07/12/2010 21:00

Wow fof where did you get all this? :O
Ima go geek now! :D

tjubby08/12/2010 15:34

Ive been experementing with that way of jumping hjs aswell. But I concluded it wasen't more effective than a normal HJ because of the big firste strafe and low prestrafe speed(did 240 with 246 stats). If someone made new hj blocks like u showed on the picture fof it can be interesting :).

kREWAN08/12/2010 17:24

You don't know him lol..

nobody^08/12/2010 20:43

Is someone kind enough to send me a demo of this technique, please. Btw, FoF great work.

Page 1 of 2

Please log in to post replies.