CS wont start

Started by level2
04/05/2011 16:51
Page 1 of 2
level2 04/05/2011 16:51

Hi guys , hope you can help me. Here is the problem - starting today i cant load my counter-strike. It just doesnt run at all. I press "play CS" in steam , then for a few secs i have a "loading" cursor and then nothing happens. The thing is , that hl.exe procces is actually running in windows and eating some memory. I can see it in task manager. But the game itself dont run at all. No window pop up and so on.

I searched the web but couldnt fing the solution. Checked the game cache , deleted some files in steam , even defragmented and reinstalled cs and steam + did some other stuff - didnt help.

Im running windows7 64bit , few days ago when i last run CS everything was fine. All other games are working fine.

Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.

elfeN04/05/2011 17:01

All other games are working fine. > its always happend on cs 1.6. :/

KooleN04/05/2011 17:06(edited 04/05/2011 17:43)

I have the same problem from today :( and if i try to restart steam, it wont start too...

Edit: I've read some articles, and i found out this software that fixed my steam/cs http://virus-protect.org/artikel/tools/fixwareout.html

PS.: need PC restart

cheers

AZAX-SYNDROM04/05/2011 17:12

have u tried to restore ur windows to date before problem appeared?
if restore doesn't help, download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (it's free), update it and check ur system.
i had similar issue when tried to run some exe. only without it running in taskmanager... in that case u need to rename file to "analysethis" and it will start it (only useful if u r unable to install some antivir antispy... software).

level2 04/05/2011 22:50

Thanks for suggestions , but it didnt help :(

jusuuh05/05/2011 16:19

Reinstall Steam, remove clientregistry.blob?

Punk^05/05/2011 17:09

I used to have this problem as well... closing down the process with the task manager usually fixed it for me.. took a couple of tries once in a while.
Haven't had this problem with my new computer though, so I can't test it anymore.

level2 05/05/2011 17:14(edited 05/05/2011 17:14)

Originally posted by jusuuh
Reinstall Steam, remove clientregistry.blob?


Tried , didnt work.

Originally posted by Punk^
I used to have this problem as well... closing down the process with the task manager usually fixed it for me.. took a couple of tries once in a while.
Haven't had this problem with my new computer though, so I can't test it anymore.


I closed and run it countless times , so didnt help either :(

geddyK06/05/2011 19:43

Clean the computer from the inside. Perhaps he is behind much dust on individual sub-assemblies and he cannot simply give with it advise.
I this way had in my old PC, I did this way and it helped. Try it out ;) I keep my thumbs! Good luck!

Punk^06/05/2011 20:44

Originally posted by geddyK
I this way had in my old PC

Something went terribly wrong there geddyK :D

But yeah, try out his method.. dust within a computer can result in countless problems.

level2 08/05/2011 13:14

Still no success guys. I guess thats the end of my CS time :D

Jonde08/05/2011 13:45

Reinstall windows?

It usually solves all the software related problems.

level2 08/05/2011 14:22

Didnt help either

Punk^08/05/2011 14:35

Reinstalling your computer didn't work?

jokeruz08/05/2011 15:39(edited 08/05/2011 15:44)

The solution :

Quote :


Sollution is that you will download Winrar from RarLab and then extract the SteamInstall.msi into some folder, like C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ and then rename steam.exe1 into steam.exe and run it.

I tried older steam installers just to find out that those install ok but don't run at all.

For some reason Microsoft Install Service is bugging in Windows 7 about some programs. I thinks related to region and language settings but I am not sure.

There is also built in MSI Extrator in Windows which you can try like this:

In command prompt:
msiexec /a c:\temp\steaminstall.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp\steam\

but it caused msi to crash here leaving external program as only option.

I managed to find a fix for Windows Installer problems (aka. problems with .msi files).

***********************************

1. Delete the string values (Except for (Default)) in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions

2. Start gpedit.msc

3. Expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, expand Internet Communication Management, and then click Internet Communication settings.

4. In the details pane, double-click Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, and then click Enabled.

**********************************

nobody^09/05/2011 15:15(edited 09/05/2011 16:23)

Originally posted by level2
Still no success guys. I guess thats the end of my CS time :D


Ohh, no such thing Mr.Paul! The scene won't be the same w/o you and your edits, so don't even think about it!

evuly09/05/2011 18:21

Are you sure it's not your anti-virus blocking it? I had this problem some year back, only the starting screen popped up for around 1 second then CS shut itself down. I didn't get any message from my anti-virus or anything, but I decided to get another and it worked. :-]

unBreakS09/05/2011 18:34

Originally posted by evuly
Are you sure it's not your anti-virus blocking it?


this is maybe it ..
i had problem like this in past .. to be more precise
my anti-virus was blocking cs/steam .. depends of the anti-virus type .
i just deleted the anti-virus and installed other one ..

try this ..

omilo09/05/2011 22:15

Sounds like CS is being blocked by something. Firewall of some sort. If you don't have anything like that, jokeruz solutions seems real, try that :). Real but painful :E

level2 10/05/2011 08:52

Still no help guys :) Tried your suggestions , reinstalling windows didnt help , turning off any firewall and antivirus i have and doing that stuff with SteamInstall.msi failed too.

Man...thats like the strangest shit ever.

Page 1 of 2

Please log in to post replies.