The Eiffel Tower

Started by aftermatch-_-
05/07/2011 02:46
Page 1 of 3
aftermatch-_-05/07/2011 02:46

I've been thinking a lot about this - there are already several similar maps - statueofliberty, arcdetriumph, but why isn't there any Eiffel Tower map?

FLasH ^^ mapper05/07/2011 06:04(edited 05/07/2011 06:05)

To many Poly's and no vis block!! if ur a maper u will know what im talking about!
Or u can make a low poly model and use clip texture!!

spr1n mapper05/07/2011 11:28

Eiffel Tower = big open space.
HL is not meant for big open areas... that means you cant detail much such map. ofc its possible, but mapper should concentrate on balancing r_speeds and detailing/architecture. I've seen once Eiffel Tower map, but it looked kinda ugly. Also models are not that better, since its every polygon is rendered at all times, while world- and entitybrush back faces are not.

Chrizzy mapper Tournament #305/07/2011 12:58(edited 05/07/2011 12:59)

NightNoob started on it and a beta was suddenly to be found on public servers 5 years ago. It only had jumps underground, but when you got outside the huge Eiffel tower was there. Wish it was completed :)

FLasH ^^ mapper05/07/2011 13:20

Anway the players with old pc ! will have huge lag on it!!

kheiye05/07/2011 13:41

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/heritage1.jpg/ ;)

FLasH ^^ mapper05/07/2011 14:38

Well is looking good but its not that...

nobody^05/07/2011 23:40

Originally posted by kHEIYE
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/heritage1.jpg/ ;)


Wow, really good imo. Though I feel the lack of fps from here. :(

dEMolite mapper09/07/2011 05:56

its possible without huge fps loss. had ripped it sometime ago the tower out of warbeasts cs_ map
he used there a nice methode to make it bigger.
he just mapped it half and the big metal thing which is the antenna was just a normal func_door which was going top when the map has started.

overall it depends on the landscape which surrounds it.

or if you really want it to be detailed. create a huge low poly model in any model editor and import it.
the model shouldnt have any bounding boxes because maybe you want to let the jumper jump thru some arches. So bounding boxes would fail there and dont let the jumper thru.

Blake` mapper12/07/2011 15:58

yes Chrizzy nightnoob started the map and I finished today.

Currently there are 75 fps all over the map, to reduce these I must place the blocks by models and set the texture to not clip through.

PepoMerca23/10/2011 00:52

I always wondered the same thing, i believe its possible to make it

DragonClaw23/10/2011 08:35

FlasH, you suddenly became very worried about r_speeds ^^). Anyway, on-topic now. As spr1n said, it's not easy doing this and nor would it be good-looking. However, I believe it's possible to make such map with quite a lot of hard work. I wouldn't, because I'm mostly inspired by natural landscapes, but GL to anybody who's about to try. Maybe to FLasH, since he's the mapper here and knows best :P

Cypek23/10/2011 22:37

http://warby.bitproll.de/projects/0006_cs_paris/cs_paris_04.jpg guess from what is this view? This map includes Eifel Tower + it's a good fps and deisigned map so just go mappers? I wanted to make this map so long time ago but I am too lazy...

leifi5424/10/2011 15:43

Originally posted by KZRA|Cypek
http://warby.bitproll.de/projects/0006_cs_paris/cs_paris_04.jpg guess from what is this view? This map includes Eifel Tower + it's a good fps and deisigned map so just go mappers? I wanted to make this map so long time ago but I am too lazy...


:O map name?

plowed24/10/2011 16:12

... cs_paris_04.jpg

DragonClaw24/10/2011 17:37

It's not a particularly good-looking map. The first thing you notice are those flat buildings and rooftops. Furthermore, a kz map has a lot of polys only by the jumps themselves, which are missing in a hostage/rescue one.

zythH^ moviemaker24/10/2011 20:14

cs_paris have it, and it's ugly :x

but i agree with the ideia, it's a great one!

spr1n mapper24/10/2011 20:43

cs_paris actually build quite wisely. and its good enough for cs_ scenario. But for a kz map such style wouldn't work that well...

Blake` mapper31/10/2011 19:59

I always wondered the same thing, i believe its possible to make it
Hello

I am being completed one of my maps and I put the finalization of the map kzfr_eiffel_tower, a map of nightnoob whose project had been started long ago.

I would hold that position to date to show the evolution of the map.

hm^ mapper VIP01/11/2011 11:51

hm,
kz_emblem is for me a similar map.
It sounds interesting and is for sure a challenge..

I will try it.

Page 1 of 3

Please log in to post replies.